Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can You Cook half a Prime Packer and save the other half?

Options
I've never done a brisket and would have a lot of trouble using a whole one . Just wondering if I can cook successfully half of one and save the other half for a later cook?? If so how would I do it to get a good result? Thank

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Sure you can. The usual split is to seperate the flat from the point. The flat is the more typical sliced brisket that you usually see at BBQ joints and delis. For years I used the point for burnt ends or chilli, but lately have enjoyed it on its own - thanks to @lousubcap
    You can cook the whole thing and split it up after as the point used for chili is really quite good. 
    Suggest you really trim it, the primes are quite fatty. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Cook the whole thing. Vac seal and freeze the leftovers.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    HEB here sells split packers which are just that - split right down the lengthwise. Useful for dialing in your brisket cook until you nail it IMO. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    I've got a better idea for you.  I nomally cut off the portion of the flat that is not covered by the point (before cooking) and freeze that portion for later use. The flat/point combo end is the better end of the brisket, and is a more managable amount to eat. I normally make a curry out of the flat I cut off, though pastrami is another good move.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    20stone said:
    I've got a better idea for you.  I nomally cut off the portion of the flat that is not covered by the point (before cooking) and freeze that portion for later use. The flat/point combo end is the better end of the brisket, and is a more managable amount to eat. I normally make a curry out of the flat I cut off, though pastrami is another good move.
    Do you actually live in Texas?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Cook it all, dry freeze leftovers for an hour on wax paper then food saver for another day.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You can cut it right down the middle lengthwise...through the flat and the point and then you have 2 packers at 1/2 the weight. 

<edit> 
    I just noticed @caliking already said the same thing. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    caliking said:
    HEB here sells split packers which are just that - split right down the lengthwise. Useful for dialing in your brisket cook until you nail it IMO. 
    Brother king, I have a friend that splits all of his briskets. He use to post the "split briskets" over on the BBQ Brethern on a regular basis.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    DMW said:
    20stone said:
    @DMW, I'm pretty sure that @20stone does, in fact, live in Texas.  We're not too proud of it at times, but he has been kind enough to allow me in his garage.  I was told I couldn't enter the associated house so I'm still only about 90% sure it was his...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    Options
    DMW said:
    20stone said:
    I do, in fact, live in Texas.  I've been spoiled by good brisket, and only want to cook what we'll eat in one sitting, and while I can eat a bit, but a whole packer is a bite or two too much
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    Options
    Foghorn said:
     I was told I couldn't enter the associated house so I'm still only about 90% sure it was his...
    No pig DNA in the house
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:
     I was told I couldn't enter the associated house so I'm still only about 90% sure it was his...
    No pig DNA in the house
    I'm never sure if he's referring to me or the pork parts when he says that....

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX