Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is it possible to smoke the food in one of these WITHOUT cooking it ?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,764
    Options
    jeff scannell,
    what is it you want to smoke, ive never done anything lower than 140 for drying jerkey, but ive seen posts of cheese being done around 100 degrees. it would need to be done in winter probably, ive seen the cheese done with the smoke in another cooker vented into the egg, and done over ice in just the egg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    jeff scannell, Yes. Once your grid temp reaches 140 degrees you begin cooking your food. When it hits 160 you are clearly cooking it. Whether you can do what you want, depends largely on what you want to smoke, and somewhat on local ambient temps. For example, you can definitely hold temps below 140 much longer on a 20 degree day than a 100 degree day!

• Grillicious
    Options
    jeff scannell, there have been posts here with pictures about "cold smoking". Basically it required two eggs and a clothes dryer type exhaust tube. One egg is lit and smoking, the other is not. The tube is then run from the top of the smoking egg to the lower vent of the unlit egg, shunting the smoke there. I believe this was done to smoke cheese. Perhaps whoever did it will repost their pics.

• Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    Grillicious, I've tried that. And tried that again. I believe a home based shuttle launch would be easier.

• Grillicious
    Options
    Scotty's Inferno, that's how it looked to me..a pretty rediculous setup. I haven't tried it, and never will. That said, whoever posted it seemed somewhat pleased with it.

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    jeff scannell,[p]I have never tried this because I believe unless you load the smoking chamber with ice the thermal peoperties of the egg will eventually heat up from the smoke. I would suggest you check out the Alton Brown recipe for smoking bacon (I think the episode is Junkyard Wars). He built a smoker out of a locker, dryer vent, cardboard box, and a hot plate. I plan to build one out of a clothing moving box if the weather here in AL ever gets cool enough. My recollection is the high ambient temp for the day should not exceed 40-50 degrees but I may be wrong here. Anyway, check it out.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,764
    Options
    why1504,
    i had seen a pic on the forum with the drier vent coming out of the dome on a large egg going into a milk crate covered with tin foil. i think the length of vent pipe would need to be adjusted and that maybe a blower or guru on the other end to force an air flow may be needed as there wouldnt be much draft for this setup. dont remember what they were smoking, but it was done in the milk crate

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Yes, now that you mention that, I saw it as well. They were smoking Salmon for Lox. As I recall they had the fish on a sheet pan over a bed of ice. I can't remember how long they smoked it. But there again I could be wrong here as well. [p]What I have always wanted to do is smoke my own bacon. Here you have to have the pork bellies hanging up so that the smoke penetrates from all sides.