Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recipe suggestion for a crowd that can be made ahead

Options
My Aunt and Uncle have a beautiful waterfront property in Maryland, and they are nice enough to host our entire large family for a week.  Our days are generally filled with crabbing and drinking beer.  People take turns being responsible for dinner for the group during the week.  I tried doing a search and found a few results, but wanted to see if anything else appealed.  I am hoping to cook ahead on the egg at home and have an easy reheat to serve (will have standard kitchen appliances available). Dinner would include about 20 people give or take a few.  Someone has already claimed "pulled pork" which I have a feeling will be a crock pot butt with liquid smoke, sigh...  I'm leaning towards trying pepper stout beef as of right now, but wanted to see if anything else came from the forum.  Thanks!
L BGE
Paoli, PA

Instagram

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Not necessarily an egg cook, but fajitas are usually a crowd pleaser. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Spatchcocked chickens should go over well.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I should add it food saver's and reheats just as good as pulled pork.  =)=)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    Like above, I say pepper beef stout 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    A couple of pans of lasagna....can be frozen and pulled a day or so before your meal rolls up. Also easy to do a salad and some garlic bread. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • BJM2932
    BJM2932 Posts: 119
    Options
    SloppyJoe said:
    That'll teach the family not to take pulled pork night from me 
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    A couple of pans of lasagna....can be frozen and pulled a day or so before your meal rolls up. Also easy to do a salad and some garlic bread. 
    This!  Beat me to it. 

Little Rock, AR

• BJM2932
    Options
    Appreciate the feedback.  My Italian aunt is penciled in for lasagna one of the nights.  I think I will go ahead and do some sort of sandwiches with smoked chuckies.  There is a newer brewery in the area that puts out a good stout, so i'm thinking pepper stout beef will be the path I take.  I might also bring some plain pulled beef for the kiddo's and picky eaters of the group.  
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    As an alternative consider a couple of double smoked hams. They reheat very well in the oven. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I will 3rd the idea for pepper stout beef. I have not made it ahead of time per se but I have reheated leftovers and it was good. 

One word of caution is when you refrigerate there is a lot of fat that congeals. It will melt and you can stir it back into the meat, however I think if I made it ahead of time I would consider pouring all the liquid into a seperate bowl and refrigerate. The fat will rise to the top and then you can easily scrape it off, and add the defatted liquid back to the pan of meat. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    Dylan's Baltimore Pit Beef with the SV 
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    Brisket Chili.  You can smoke the brisket and make the chili well in advance.  Keeps in the fridge, and even if you freeze and re-heat, you can't hurt it.  I've brought it on ski trips and camping trips.  There are a few recipes on the forum.  I like this one.  

Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Barbacoa.

Toast chiles, rehydrate in chicken broth, add some chipotles in adobo, citrus, roasted garlic, toasted cumin, dried Mexican oregano, s and p, puree, sear, braise on the egg in a DO until tender.

Make corn tortillas, pickled red onions, salsa ahead.  Plan b, buy them at a local taqueria.

Warm tortillas via comal on site, hold.  My warmer will keep tortillas for a couple of hours.  ATK tested them all, this one stood tall.

Hold smoked barbacoa in crockpots or better yet, SV.

Serve with Mexican parm(Cotija), fresh cilantro and lime wedges.

I love PSB, but playing second fiddle to pulled pork, which is also using the same bun platform and 2D flavor dimensions, would be too much for me.....go 4D.

Not a bad starting point for references.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/04/better-than-chipotles-beef-barbacoa-tacos.html
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Smoked mac n cheese always a crowd pleaser
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,259
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Sounds like a great trip. We did the same in La Loire region of France last year. Each night, a different couple would prepare the meal. We tried to use locally-sourced ingredients where possible. I made brined pork chops, maple bacon brussel sprouts, fresh baguette and a shallot garlic cream sauce for 14. Was a big hit and fun to cook.

While you said that you wanted to make something ahead, my vote is to do a hot and fast meal on site. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Pepper stout beef sounds like a winner. 
  • BJM2932
    Options
    Thanks all for the recommendations. Still not 100% decided on what I'm going to decide to cook,  The prep work will be completed Friday. I will be referencing back to this thread for ideas when hosting groups of people during football season, because there are some great recommendations.  
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Burgers 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    if theres a grill, beef tenderloin sliced 3/4 inch thick, short marinade, seared and served on a good bunn. perfect for beer drinking on a beach. its a quick cook.  lobster here is cheap mid summer so we just get a big steamer pot going for lobsters, steamers, mussels, and the gasser for corn and dogs for the kids. crawfish boil, we do them with lobster but always wanted to get the crawfish shipped in
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    How much yard do they have?  You could forego the egg, and go with an ISD (improvised smoking device)

Seriously, though, if you dig a pit in their backyard and fill it with meat and fire, you will definitely win the day
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    What Brewery? RAR?
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    do miss the appetizers.......abts, monk balls, pig candy, smoked cheese, cold smoked salmon, turkey sandwiches on finger rolls, 

easy to do and usually a big hit.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • 20stone
    Options
    Focker said:
    Barbacoa.

Toast chiles, rehydrate in chicken broth, add some chipotles in adobo, citrus, roasted garlic, toasted cumin, dried Mexican oregano, s and p, puree, sear, braise on the egg in a DO until tender.

Make corn tortillas, pickled red onions, salsa ahead.  Plan b, buy them at a local taqueria.

Warm tortillas via comal on site, hold.  My warmer will keep tortillas for a couple of hours.  ATK tested them all, this one stood tall.

Hold smoked barbacoa in crockpots or better yet, SV.

Serve with Mexican parm(Cotija), fresh cilantro and lime wedges.

I love PSB, but playing second fiddle to pulled pork, which is also using the same bun platform and 2D flavor dimensions, would be too much for me.....go 4D.

Not a bad starting point for references.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/04/better-than-chipotles-beef-barbacoa-tacos.html
    If you aren't willing to dig a hole in their yard, barbacoa is tough to beat (though traditional barbacoa is a cows head.... buried in the ground, so there's that).

Here is a writeup I did awhile back - http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1190013/beef-cheek-barbacoa-redemption/p1

I am a big fan of beef cheeks for this purpose, if you can get them.  I order from 44 Farms locally, and can squeeze 8 lbs into my Sous Vide Supreme.  If you have a Joule or Annova, more is more.

Do that with fresh tortillas, and you will be the man.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • BJM2932
    Options
    20stone said:
    How much yard do they have?  You could forego the egg, and go with an ISD (improvised smoking device)

Seriously, though, if you dig a pit in their backyard and fill it with meat and fire, you will definitely win the day
    I was at meadow creek BBQ supply yesterday picking up stuff for the sauce and rub exchange.  I was checking out their awesome stick burners and thought that I would be the man if I pulled in towing one behind my jeep and did a whole hog.  I think digging a hole in their yard would buy me a spot on the do not invite back list from my aunt.

Love the barbacoa Idea from both you and @Focker, but someone has also claimed a "Mexican" theme night.  I am definitely going to bookmark those for Eagles season.  
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• BJM2932
    Options
    What Brewery? RAR?
    No, since I plan to make ahead I was going to use a local brewery near my house.  Locust Lane in Malvern, PA.  They've opened up in the past few months.  Some of the beers I've had were just ok, but their stout on nitro has been my favorite so far.

I saw RAR on a map while searching for a place to buy fresh rolls in Cambridge.  Worth checking out?
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• 20stone
    Options
    BJM2932 said:

I was at meadow creek BBQ supply yesterday picking up stuff for the sauce and rub exchange.  I was checking out their awesome stick burners and thought that I would be the man if I pulled in towing one behind my jeep and did a whole hog.  I think digging a hole in their yard would buy me a spot on the do not invite back list from my aunt.

You can rent those rigs too. 

If if you want to crush brisket for 20 and are tempted by a stick burner, get a Karubacue. @The Cen-Tex Smoker has one and it's awesome for that purpose. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    20stone said:
    BJM2932 said:

If if you want to crush brisket for 20 and are tempted by a stick burner, get a Karubacue. @The Cen-Tex Smoker has one and it's awesome for that purpose. 
    Tear up his aunt's property. Rent an offset smoker. Buy a Karubecue...

You must think he's some kind of sucker like your other "friends"!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    caliking said:
    20stone said:
    BJM2932 said:

Tear up his aunt's property. Rent an offset smoker. Buy a Karubecue...

You must think he's some kind of sucker like your other "friends"!

Yeah, who would fall for crap like that?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX