Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where to buy wood chunks?

2»

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Picked up some stash from Joes Smoking Wood the other day 

• NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Nice haul
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Nice haul
    Ditto 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Menards when I can buy cherry on sale, but otherwise I have been very diligent over the years to cut or ask for or "beg" for any choice woods which typically either fall down, die or otherwise on our heavily wooded lot and neighborhood! I guy may think he uses a lot, but my eggperience is a few wood chunks go a long way - in between the next available downed tree. =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    RRP said:
    Menards when I can buy cherry on sale, but otherwise I have been very diligent over the years to cut or ask for or "beg" for any choice woods which typically either fall down, die or otherwise on our heavily wooded lot and neighborhood! I guy may think he uses a lot, but my eggperience is a few wood chunks go a long way - in between the next available downed tree. =)
    BTW in 37 years here I have only had one a-hole neighbor refuse to give me one 2 foot long chunk of a fallen shag bark hickory...I even told the a-hole I would gladly give him say $10 for it! You know his answer??? Well some guy from somewhere (meaning NOT a neighbor) said he would come get it. It laid there on his lawn for 3 weeks and killed large patch of his grass before whoever came back with a truck and trailer which he drove up on the guy's lawn after days of rain and left  DEEP ruts in his yard! To this very day I see those ruts and LMAO!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Looks awesome! Did you try negotiating with them?   $170 seems overpriced to me for 100 pounds...
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Fruita wood chunks out of Colorado.
    Fruits wood is legit.  I stopped there when working in Colorado last summer.  Amazing, ordered from menu board asked to wait like 10 mins.  He went to the back (supposedly climate controlled humidity etc) and cut my order boxed it up.  If you order add on some of their "black and bold" rub.  Top notch on some wings.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Fruita from Colorado. By far the best peach and pecan (2 of my most often used smoking woods over the last 30 years) I have used. I will only order from them going forward.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    I just cut up an apple tree that fell in my neighbors yard. As of today the pile is still at the road if anyone livae in Northern NJ. I took all I could use and left the rest
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• pab
    pab Posts: 273
    I am a Fruita Wood customer as well. I usually get 20 lbs of peach and 10 lbs of pecan at a time. Have also purchased post oak, grape vine, and apricot from them as well.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    I get mine at Academy Sports.  They have almost all the wood types in nice size chunks.  Only place I've been able to find oak chunks locally.

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Love this post.....in South Carolina you say?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    I get mine at Publix.
    War Damn Eagle!
  • NC_Egghead
    GoooDawgs said:
    Looks awesome! Did you try negotiating with them?   $170 seems overpriced to me for 100 pounds...
    There's a price break if you order larger quantities. Not any negotiation since the guy helping us had to text his boss for the price. They are pretty much take it or leave it. 
    Charlotte, NC

• NC_Egghead

Love this post.....in South Carolina you say?
    Yes, in the middle of no where. Somewhere near the intersection of 55 and 161. The fellow helping us said he's had people describe the place as something you'd encounter in a horror movie. Not so sure about that but it's definitely a great place for the next Zombie apocalypse. 
    Charlotte, NC

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Fruita Woods hands down

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Love this post.....in South Carolina you say?
    Yes. Near Myrtle beach
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2017
    Timely bump. 
    Went with a friend yesterday, who has an Oklahoma Joe offset cooker, to pick up some wood in SC. Place is somewhere roughly between Clover and Smyrna but I don't know if I could find it again on a bet. Turns out it's a lumber mill that you would never know was there since its back from the road in the woods. They also sell wood directly to restaurants by the pallet. Evidently a pallet is slightly less than a cord. They also sell wood chunks; pecan, cherry, peach, maple, etc. 

High tech operation as you can see. To say this place is nothing fancy would be a compliment. Glad I brought the Jeep since there were some mucky areas and a rough dirt road to get back there. Anyways we decided on 40 lbs of pecan and peach and 20 lbs of cherry, which we were going to split between us. The wood was super clean; nice big chunks too. Here's the full load, trying to keep the 3 woods separated with a tarp:

Here's my half; pecan, cherry, peach, left to right:

Total 100 lbs of chunks for $170. The "shipping" cost was a quarter tank of mid-grade in the hemi for the trip from Charlotte. I've got enough to last a while but next time we go back, we'll be more prepared with containers and also get a little more since I believe there's a better price at the 50lb mark. 
    Sweet wood score.
    Sounds kind of like my stick spot in Camanche, IA, down a dirt road and nestled in heavy timber along the banks of the Mississippi.  I don't think any operation is high tech in this line of work.  They don't mess around.

Truck full of split cherry to my preferred specs for $60.  The guys wanted to keep loading the Taco.  Told them about the 6.5ft box on the other truck.  How much for that?  "60".  They supply the BBQ joints around the Quad Cities.  Two brothers run it, and crew, solid hardworking peeps.

Due for a run maybe this Fall to season for next year.  Hard for me to go with anything but wild cherry on their offerings, smells so good when it burns.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nutshellml
    nutshellml Posts: 166
    Reviving the thread... So 3x3 Chunks or 2x2 chunks.  I see the 2x2 costs a little more.  I have XL BGE.  Thoughts?

Northern Jersey
    XL BGE  |  XL Adjustable Rig Combo  |  CyberQ  |  Maverick 733
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Reviving the thread... So 3x3 Chunks or 2x2 chunks.  I see the 2x2 costs a little more.  I have XL BGE.  Thoughts?

I have an XL as well and I just bought 2x2 Post Oak without Bark from Fruitawood. Spoke with the owner and he recommended the 2x2 for the BGE. You need to specify on the order that you do not want bark. 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    I have some black cherry trees that need to come down to eliminate the shade on SWMBO's garden.... bring chainsaw....
    Trees are down... now seasoned logs... Middle TN!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• mgoblue0484
    mgoblue0484 Posts: 148
    Fruitawood customer as well. Their wood is always nice. Love the peach too. Previous order, Fruitawood requested you keep peach wood in a cool place, so it doesn't dry out. Guess it may be different than the other type of woods. Does that make sense to anyone?

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• nutshellml
    nutshellml Posts: 166
    dstearn said:

I have an XL as well and I just bought 2x2 Post Oak without Bark from Fruitawood. Spoke with the owner and he recommended the 2x2 for the BGE. You need to specify on the order that you do not want bark. 
    What's the negative of having bark on smoking chunks?
    Northern Jersey
    XL BGE  |  XL Adjustable Rig Combo  |  CyberQ  |  Maverick 733
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    dstearn said:

What's the negative of having bark on smoking chunks?
    cleaner smoke with the non bark