Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Disneyworld OT

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    Think of how much money you're reasonably comfortable spending on a family vacation.  Then triple it.  That's what you'll spend on Disney World.
    We can go to Europe for the week cheaper than going to Disneyworld. 
    You can indeed, but as you know the French don't take kindly to being asked where all of the cheese-eating surrender monkey rides are.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Think of how much money you're reasonably comfortable spending on a family vacation.  Then triple it.  That's what you'll spend on Disney World.
    You can indeed, but as you know the French don't take kindly to being asked where all of the cheese-eating surrender monkey rides are.  
    In that vein, for no good reason at all, my favorite joke about the French:

How do you say "Good morning" in French?

"We surrender!"

Back on topic now...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Yep.  We spent a week at Disney in 2014 and a week in Paris last year.  Including flights, the week in Paris was about 2/3 the cost.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Part of our weekly budget is the annual Disney trip. Happy wife... 
    Paying annual dues to the Mouse
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It can be information overload...and it can definitely be wallet overload. If you want to save some money then stay off site. There are a lot of places just outside that are a fraction of the price. Also skip the "park hopper" option and the dining plan. Only eat lunch in the park. You can also bring food in with you.  Grab one of these and pack some sammiches. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    caliking said:
    In that vein, for no good reason at all, my favorite joke about the French:

How do you say "Good morning" in French?

"We surrender!"

Back on topic now...
    French rifle for sale- never fired and only dropped once. 

Greensboro, NC
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,045
    edited June 2017
    Options
    My advice, just do it.  I, against my better judgement, finally went one year.  Wife begged me for a few years.

It was an awesome trip, full of great memories.  We have gone 3 more times.  Due to jobs, moves, etc we haven't gone for 2 years.  I am jonzing to go again.

Slow down, enjoy the time.  You won't see or do it all.  Chill and enjoy.

Btw, of all the things to do, Tom Sawyer Island was my kids favorite.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    edited June 2017
    Options
    We went last fall and got a killer deal through an agent. Only ate dinner in the parks, brought food and booze to our room and packed a lunch everyday. We did 4 days and got it all in under a grand. We stayed at the french quarter resort as part of it was under construction so it was heavily discounted. We only used the room to sleep anyhow.  

Granted I was active military and got a humongous discount on tickets to the parks. I think 4 day park hoppers were 225 each or something super cheap. And my kid wasnt quite 3 yet so he was mickeys guest. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• DoubleEgger
    edited June 2017
    Options
    We went last fall and got a killer deal through an agent. Only ate dinner in the parks, brought food and booze to our room and packed a lunch everyday. We did 4 days and got it all in under a grand. We stayed at the french quarter resort as part of it was under construction so it was heavily discounted. We only used the room to sleep anyhow.  

Granted I was active military and got a humongous discount on tickets to the parks. I think 4 day park hoppers were 225 each or something super cheap. And my kid wasnt quite 3 yet so he was mickeys guest. 
    You know the Mouse has brainwashed everyone when $225 tickets are "super cheap" 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    Been to all the parks 3 times in the last ten years. We received free accommodations at the Marriott Residence Inn 5 minutes from the entrance. The hotel gives you free breakfast. Free breakfast included swiping a ishpot full of fruit and also ganking(sp) the peanut butter and jelly. We bought some bread, Little Debbie's, and chips at the Walmart (another 5 minutes away). Free breakfast turned into free (pretty much compared to park prices) lunch inside the park. Important note...Its very nice to find a bench and open your backpack and eat when you want to and then watch all the other poor souls wait ~30/45 minutes to get to the front of the line to order their meal, and then another 15 for it to be delivered to them. Tickets are/were the biggest expense, park hopper to all if the parks for 7 days. Our family of 4 probably saved between 250 and 500 bucks on breakfast and lunch for the week. 

As people on here have said...one can spend as much or as little as one wants on any vacation..

If its my money, I'd rather keep it mine
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    My sister-in-law works for a company that books Disney vacations. If you'd like to talk with her I can PM you her #. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    @GATraveller that would be great 
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    @billt01 that's my kinda vacation. I'm like you I want to keep as much money as I can. Mickey has plenty he can have some of mine but not all of it. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Here's my wife's plan for our trip in October, to give you an idea of planning  
    @Jeremiah We will be there Oct 22-28. Missed you by 2 days!! Plan to enjoy the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot mostly.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • HurricaneEddie1
    Options

Best way to go is with a child who can't ride any rides..  you do the kid swap and you'll have a perpetual fast pass for every ride you go to.  So... before the trip, wife and I use up our 3 fast passes on 6 different rides (3 each). 

Show up  to ride #1 with wife/kid and ask for baby swap pass (which is just a plain Fast Pass) when you return with that Fast Pass, they'll give you another FastPass for later (they don't know you have already been there doing the kid swap).

Cooking on a LBGE and MM down in Miami, FL.
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    I'd rather put my eyes out than go back to Disney.

Just sayin'

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Yellowstone is $25 per car for the whole week. That's super cheap. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Butt Blast is free, and we provide food for the whole family =)
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Butt Blast is free, and we provide food for the whole family =)
    And Thunder Buddy will provide entertainment and photo opps as well! 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Kayak said:

Just sayin'

You must have gone in the summer.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@g8golfer  Disneyland is pretty much my worst nightmare (not a fan of crowd congestion), but that's my own weirdness.  Enjoy your time there with the fam.

Phoenix 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @Hotch yeah Shelly mentioned that in one of my Facebook countdown posts. Stinks it didn't overlap. Y'all just need to come two days early!  =)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Kayak said:

Just sayin'

While I enjoyed taking my kids on a couple of trips to the various Disney and Universal parks I am very happy that's in my rear view mirror. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Here's my wife's plan for our trip in October, to give you an idea of planning  
    I think I'm the total opposite of your wife- that kind of structure makes my skin crawl :)

I will say you need to book restaurants now- they fill up fast. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I think what surprised me most about Disney was the shear number of morbidly obese people tooling around in those electric wheelchairs.  Maybe that's just Florida, I don't know.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I lived in Orlando for a year and had an annual pass. Granted this has been 22 years ago, but a few of my fond memories.

•. I like Goophy...a really stupid character
    •. Pochahontiss was a very hot babe. Very hot.
    •. If you have a daughter, have dinner in the castle with Snow White (not as hot, but not bad.)
    •. When school is in, the park is far easy to navigate.
    •. If your chillin are of nap age, the hotels are convenient for a nap (you, not the kids)
    •. Don't no if they still have the Jamaican bus at Eppicot, if they do...hit it frequently...before the fireworks. 
    •. Drink a lot of water and stay hydrated
    •. Pocahontas was really hot. 
    • while Sea World is not a Disney Park, it is an Anheiser Bush Attraction and they have a hospatility room in the park.
    •. Watch out for gators...they bite.
    • The little trams from the parking are not that much fun. Staying on property means you don't need to get in it. 

If i I think if anything else, I will chime in later. Ha to Pocahontas if you see her. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I lived in Orlando for a year and had an annual pass. Granted this has been 22 years ago, but a few of my fond memories.

•. If you have a daughter, have dinner in the castle with Snow White (not as hot, but not bad.)
    •. If your chillin are of nap age, the hotels are convenient for a nap (you, not the kids)
    •. Don't no if they still have the Jamaican bus at Eppicot, if they do...hit it frequently...before the fireworks. 
    • while Sea World is not a Disney Park, it is an Anheiser Bush Attraction and they have a hospatility room in the park.
    • The little trams from the parking are not that much fun. Staying on property means you don't need to get in it. 

If i I think if anything else, I will chime in later. Ha to Pocahontas if you see her. 
    This is by far the best thing I've read all day.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    We did this when the kids were younger but once they got older we switched to Epcot and Universal Studios. I live about 130 miles away and we would just drive down for the day and sometimes stay overnight.

Be aware that the traffic anywhere around Disney is horrible. Consider that in your decision to stay on property. The monorails and busses are well worth it.

Also. leave your gun at home. Disney doesn't even allow off duty police to carry a weapon on their property. One major reason I won't ever go again. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    As the adventure time-line approaches the finish-line you could realize that "Happiness is Disney in the rear-view mirror."  And that is certainly my experience after two rounds in Anaheim and Orlando. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options

This is by far the best thing I've read all day.
    Those that haven't had the pleasure of hanging out with the @northGAcock should
    know he really is this funny all the time. 

And Pocahontas is really hot. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.