Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alligator/Rattlesnake

Options
Has anyone ever smoked alligator or rattlesnake. Alligator I would have to order rattlesnake I can get fresh in British Columbia (The Okanogan)

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    I have had alligator a few times and it is ok but not great, but rattlesnake, NO WAY, ever, not a chance. I do not care if it is the best tasting thing on earth!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I wouldn't pay to have alligator shipped to you. I've cooked it a dozen ways and it's just a tough  thing to do right. It's very chewy and Wouldbt be worth the expense or hassle. 

Rattlesnake, if you can get them where you are and have someone to make sure the meat is properly handled, can be good. I've had it open spit a few times in Texas. Cooked high on a rotisserie over mesquite fire. SPOG. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Has anyone ever smoked alligator or rattlesnake. 
    Yes sir, I have. Other than the "wow" factor, skip doing a whole gator. The end just does not justify the means. 
    However, gator tail that has been chunked or cubed, properly marinated and seasoned, then deep fried until golden brown is simply phenomenal. It's one of the very best appetizers that you can make. Smoked gator tail can be very good if properly marinated and cooked to no higher than an internal temp of 180 degrees. 
    Rattler is a mixed bag in my opinion. The end taste of the meat will vary due to several things. 
    1. Size of snake. 
    2. Age of snake. 
    3. Sex of snake. Males are usually a little stronger tasting. 
    4. Time of harvest. Snakes harvested between June - September have a "louder" taste than snakes harvested in cooler months. 
    5. Health of snake. An unhealthy snake usually tastes like something similar to a buzzard. 
    With the above said and aside, a small, healthy, female rattler makes for some decent eating when deep fried. It's not a delicacy, but it's pretty darn good.  

For the record, in no way am I a snake expert. However I have killed and cooked my fair share of them for over four decades. With that said, all the above is just my opinion based on what I noticed through the years of preparing and eating them. 
    As to the gator tail, trust me when I say deep fry it. You won't be disappointed. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Alligator and rattlesnake are in the category "I'll eat it if I'm going to starve to death".  Also in that category is liver, gizzard, prairie oysters, sushi, and any of SGH's anus dishes (no offense Scottie).

I suppose my mind could be changed.  I'd like to see your cook for sure.
    Phoenix 
  • SGH
    Options
    blasting said:

Alligator and rattlesnake are in the category "I'll eat it if I'm going to starve to death". 
    You really should give deep fried gator tail a try. I bet it would change your mind my friend. 
    The anus would blow your mind. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Agree about the Gator! have never done or had Rattlesnake but would like to try it.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    I understand it tastes like chicken.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    SGH said:
    blasting said:

Alligator and rattlesnake are in the category "I'll eat it if I'm going to starve to death". 
    You really should give deep fried gator tail a try. I bet it would change your mind my friend. 
    The anus would blow your mind. 

As long as RD has a meat department , the anus won't be happening.   

I suppose I'd probably try the gator if offered.  Though, there are so many good cuts of meat available, I'm not into eating something I find distasteful (lizards, snakes, anus, or testicles.)
    Phoenix 
  • SGH
    Options
    blasting said:
    I'm not into eating something I find distasteful (lizards, snakes, anus, or testicles.)
    This really hurt me brother Blasting. And to think, I thought you were my friend. Slinking quietly away now.........

Status- Standing by.

• BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    Options
    Never tried to smoke gator but I eat proper fried gator by the pound pretty regularly. Simply a a great food when done right. The problem with most places is they add too much flavoring to the breading which takes away from the gator.

No thanks on the rattler though.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    @SGH how the heck do you know what buzzard tastes like. There has got to be a story to that...

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    @SGH how the heck do you know what buzzard tastes like. There has got to be a story to that...

It tastes just like eagle. 

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options

You probably won't believe this, but when I was very young I had an uncle that would "stew" buzzards. It was frigging sickening. He would trap them or wound them with a 22 short and feed them out for a few weeks. In my opinion, this did not help. They were still sickening.  

Status- Standing by.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Tastes like chicken
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    Options
    No thanks on the rattler though.
    It's not great. The best analysis that I can give is that it tastes like tilapia from China. You know the ones that have a real strong taste. That would be very comparable to rattler.  

Status- Standing by.

• jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    Fried Gator - another vote for yes.  Taste kind of like frog legs or funny tasting chicken. 

Rattler - pretty much any recipe you find will have a bunch of ingredients, then a few shreds of snake meat.  Basically just enough so you can say you ate a rattler but you put enough other stuff in there to cover the taste.  
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    I ate blackened alligator in New Orleans. Never had a better meal before or since. Most likely the negative comments come from eating over cooked alligator. 
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I had alligator once in a Miami restaurant, really wanted to like it, but didn't.  Chewy, and not a good flavor.
  • SGH
    Options
    Fellows, all of you that say you have tried gator and don't like it, try some of the tail meat deep fried. The tail, figuratively speaking, is the prime rib on gator. Everything else on the gator pails in comparison. The sole exception being the anus. But anus in general speaks for itself. I implore y'all to try some properly deep fried tail nuggets before you discredit gator all together.  

Status- Standing by.

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    I've never had gator tail but would definitely give it a try. As for the snake, no thanks. I don't do snakes in any way. I'll scream like a school girl. And sorry @sgh but I don't do ass lol
    NW IOWA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    "deep fried tail nuggets" ? I know what you meant...I think but mentioned in the same paragraph as anus makes people wonder.
  • SGH
    edited June 2017
    Options
    "deep fried tail nuggets" ? I know what you meant...I think but mentioned in the same paragraph as anus makes people wonder.
    My bad, let me clarify. Cut the tail into 3/4x3/4 cubes just as if you were making burnt ends. Batter the cubes and deep fry. The tail meat is par excellent cubed and deep fried. 

Status- Standing by.

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    I love gator, I will eat it any chance that comes up.  I have had rattlesnake at the grizzly house in banff, I cooked it on a hot piece of granite and it was excellent.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    I smoked a 4-1/2 foot at the Sunshine State Eggfest this past April. The cavity was loaded with bacon and sausage. The gator was basted with a creole butter mixture. Gotta be careful with the tail at the end. 

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I have had rattlesnake, and I wouldn't go out of my way to have it again. I have had lots of gator meat, and it is usually deep fried tail chunks. I am curious,though; can any experts answer my question? I have heard that the fat on a gator is bad or toxic. Don't remember where I read this, but it kind of stuck in my head.

As for cooking either one, I still have many things I would rather cook. When I get through my list in a few years, I might look into gator.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    If it all tastes like chicken, save yourself the time and money and buy chicken

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    +1 for deep fried gator tail.  Snake, never tried it.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    the deep fried gator ive had was a cross between chicken and fish,texture taste wise, absolutely delicious.  rattlesnake ive had was slow braised in bbq sauce, other than alot of bones it was melt in your mouth
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it