Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finish help for Boston Butt

I have two 8lb Boston butts going right now. They have been holding steady with dome temp at 300-330 since about noon. Needing these to finish in about 2-3 hours at the latest. They're at about 145 internal temp. I've heard wrapping in foil will make the bark "chewy". So don't want that. Should I just keep un-foiled till 200? This is my first Boston butt and have people coming over for pulled pork sandwiches at about 6:45 central time. So would like to impress! Made my own Chipolte Blueberry BBQ sauce and homemade slaw and homemade pickles. Also throwing on some homemade boudin from a buddy of mine. 

Comments

• Just keep going, no foil. Open vents if needed to get them done. Take off 1 hour ahead of serving to let rest, then pull. Slaw looks good! 
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    For future reference, here's a nice little cheat sheet for temps and times.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2164865#Comment_2164865

If it finishes early, you can hold a butt in a cooler for 4-5 hours easily. It's better to start earlier than you think you need to so you're sure to finish on time. I recently started one (8 lb I think) at 10AM, finished about 5:30 or 6. 320° dome. 

I never foil so I'm not sure if you need to. You can always bump the temp to 350°, or even start there. If you finish early, THEN wrap it in foil, then a bath towel (not your wife's favorite!) and put it in a cooler til time to pull.

Hope this worked out for you... or that you have some good appetizers! =) Good luck. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    The Finns don't know nuttin bout a Boston butt. 
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Look up a good vinegar based pulled pork finishing sauce and put it on the pork before serving or have it on the side.  Often people have the pork too bland when serving.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • CSmith
    CSmith Posts: 44
    The pork turned out wonderful! Was skeptical on the turbo method, but not anymore! Here's a picture of about a 1/4 of the finished product! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Great result right there.  Congratulations.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Looks delicious, @CSmith
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS