Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-CharGriller Akorn Jr (long and lots of pics)-OT

2»

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Thanks for the review. This looks like a great cooker. 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Now you have done it!  We were all set to order the Barrel Cooker for BILand sister's house warming gift, but after reading your review we may have to rethink our gift.

BTW nice cooks and beautiful dog.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    I was going to post about the Weber Smokey Joe grid and I see that's what you picked up to replace the stock CI Grid.  I'm glad I picked up one of these cookers when they were $90 at Walmart.  The XL is great for big cooks, but most the time it's just 2 of us and this was a great investment.   I'm going to follow your recipe for the pork butt.   Thanks for posting. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    @SSQUAL612, I also mentioned using a cheap terra cotta tray as an indirect piece. Don't do that. Mine only lasted a couple of cooks. CharGriller sells a platesetter for the Jr though.

Hope you like the butt!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Here's another option for a heat deflector:
    https://www.amazon.com/BBQube-Deflector-Akorn-Kamado-Charcoal/dp/B071FPJCL3/

I haven't got one yet, but I think that's the direction I'll go. I wouldn't use it for high-temp pizza, but then again, I'm not planning to use my Akorn Jr. for high-temp pizza.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    DMW said:
    Here's another option for a heat deflector:
    https://www.amazon.com/BBQube-Deflector-Akorn-Kamado-Charcoal/dp/B071FPJCL3/

I haven't got one yet, but I think that's the direction I'll go. I wouldn't use it for high-temp pizza, but then again, I'm not planning to use my Akorn Jr. for high-temp pizza.

Forgot to mention, @travisstrick has this for his Jr, and he says it works great for low and slow.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Here's the one from CharGriller. Looks like the one on my large egg, but with no legs. $25  https://www.chargriller.com/grill-extras/jr-smokin-stone-6211

I'm using an 8 1/2" pizza stone resting on a steel rod that I bent into a triangle. Don't use it often, but so far so good.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut