Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket..... How I do it.

Options

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Bump. Because reasons.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    Almost 400k views.  Amazing.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I've been really thinking about cooking a brisket. The Travis method is intriguing. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    GregW said:
    I've been really thinking about cooking a brisket. The Travis method is intriguing. 
    You should get a srf gold and try it out and report back to us. 

Little Rock, AR

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist -  that is a great post right there...Well played!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GregW
    Options
    GregW said:
    I would need a dedicated support team to feel confident in cooking such a quality cut.
    I have a local grocery that carries the SRF wagu.
    I think a brisket is around $190
    I would be sick if I ruined such an expensive cut.
    I have a Cookshack FEC that I would like to try one on. I did a chuck roast  a few weeks ago on it, I was not impressed with it. Maybe I did something wrong with the cook.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @GregW -  the cow/cook process is the same regardless of the entering protein.  The key, as always, is to hit the finish-line.  I believe you have a wider window to nail it the better the quality of the protein.  Thus the higher up the food-chain the broader your chances of success.  At least that's my story and so far I have found it to be accurate.  But just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GregW
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @GregW -  the cow/cook process is the same regardless of the entering protein.  The key, as always, is to hit the finish-line.  I believe you have a wider window to nail it the better the quality of the protein.  Thus the higher up the food-chain the broader your chances of success.  At least that's my story and so far I have found it to be accurate.  But just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...
    Well, with all the great successes you have had with your cooks, I think your opinion is worth a lot more than most.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    GregW said:
    GregW said:
    I would need a dedicated support team to feel confident in cooking such a quality cut.
    I have a local grocery that carries the SRF wagu.
    I think a brisket is around $190
    I would be sick if I ruined such an expensive cut.
    I have a Cookshack FEC that I would like to try one on. I did a chuck roast  a few weeks ago on it, I was not impressed with it. Maybe I did something wrong with the cook.
    Man I was kidding. NEVER boil (travis style) a srf. 

Little Rock, AR

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @biggreenpharmacist what?  I'm bout to boil this bad boy for my sons birfday. 

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist -  I would say , "Never boil a brisket." But I'm not from Texas so what do I know   ;)
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Got a 15# black teed up for Friday evening.  Not Travis method only because I'm a heretic. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @bgebrent -  you have plenty of time to call an audible.  You can advance the process by several orders of magnitude with that cook.  Go forth and do great things.  =)
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

Wasnt talkin to you. You are a pro. If I was you I'd get some crab boil and boil the hell outta that. Then sear it on a blackstone. 

Little Rock, AR

• bgebrent
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @bgebrent -  you have plenty of time to call an audible.  You can advance the process by several orders of magnitude with that cook.  Go forth and do great things.  =)
    With your generous assistance this hunk of cow should prove worthy. I appreciate your advice Cap!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options

Wasnt talkin to you. You are a pro. If I was you I'd get some crab boil and boil the hell outta that. Then sear it on a blackstone. 
    Change of plans. 
  • bgebrent
    Options

Change of plans. 
    Wtf is that!!??
  • bgebrent
    Options
    And btw, he's no pro. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Chuck roast
    Call the fire department already and save some time. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    They stopped responding to my calls like 6 months ago. After I took chili lessons from you. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    They stopped responding to my calls like 6 months ago. After I took chili lessons from you. 
    This will surely anger Nichole.  Outside looking in now. 
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I always cook brisket a modified Travis way and it is always great and moist and tender.  I put mustard on and dizzy dust coarse plus some more ground pepper.  Then I cut large white onions in half and cover the bottom of disposable al foil pan with the onion halves and add 1 dark beer then place the brisket on the onions. This is usually about 1/2 to 1 inch above the beer. I then cook at 250 to 275 until about 165 spritzing with apple juice each hour and wrap at about 165 until like buttah.   Let it sit for about 1 1/2 hr still wrapped and then slice.  I do not let the brisket get into to the drippings in pan and remove some if needed.  Sometimes I do not wrap to get abetter crust but wife likes wrapped better.   Not braising but some steaming I believe.
    I have tried other ways but like this cooked indirect the best.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    And btw, he's no pro. 
    Oh he's a pro. Just maybe not at brisket

Little Rock, AR

• bgebrent
    Options
    GoldenQ said:
    I always cook brisket a modified Travis way and it is always great and moist and tender.  I put mustard on and dizzy dust coarse plus some more ground pepper.  Then I cut large white onions in half and cover the bottom of disposable al foil pan with the onion halves and add 1 dark beer then place the brisket on the onions. This is usually about 1/2 to 1 inch above the beer. I then cook at 250 to 275 until about 165 spritzing with apple juice each hour and wrap at about 165 until like buttah.   Let it sit for about 1 1/2 hr still wrapped and then slice.  I do not let the brisket get into to the drippings in pan and remove some if needed.  Sometimes I do not wrap to get abetter crust but wife likes wrapped better.   Not braising but some steaming I believe.
    I have tried other ways but like this cooked indirect the best.
    This by definition is steaming and braising.  If it works well for you that's awesome!  Thank you. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    And btw, he's no pro. 
    You sir are most astute!  And then there's Jason...
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    And btw, he's no pro. 
    I dont really know what you just called me but it pissed me off. 

Little Rock, AR

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    And btw, he's no pro. 
    He knows big words.  He's a doctor. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    And btw, he's no pro. 
    He knows big words.  He's a doctor. 
    Sometimes them big words can cause an uproar. 

Little Rock, AR

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    edited June 2017
    Options
    400k views, how many briskys have been boiled because of Travis.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS