Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak kabob help

Options
Hi everyone,
Wife wanted kabobs tonight and I've never had a lot of success cooking these. Vegetables are raw and meat is good, or vice versa. Firing up the Egg as I type this, so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

THANKS!!!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Sorry man. Order pizza is all I've got. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    You can cook the veggies a tad first or put the meat and veggies on separate skewers and then sort it out later, which might not be ideal if entertaining.
    Stillwater, MN
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    One thing I would suggest is double skewers so you food doesn't spin when you turn it.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    You can cook the veggies a tad first or put the meat and veggies on separate skewers and then sort it out later, which might not be ideal if entertaining.
    Problem is I bought them already put together at the store. I guess everyone else has a similar experience cooking them. I knew this wasn't a good idea

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Typical problem, the kabobs look great in the store in the raw state, but don't cook well. I've found making the protein, typically beef, larger than bite size while keeping the veggies bite size works best. Mushrooms can be nuked to soften, they don't split on the skewer. Don't let pepper pieces or onion chunks, nest as they will not cook. I use the marinade from the protein as a baste, couple of tries and you will get the size and what cooks and what does not cook down. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Dang @Skiddymarker - that reads more complex than trying to nail a brisket cook.  Too many moving parts for me...At least The A's are having some fun with the Yankees.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Also parboil and potatoes and root vegetables to get timing better coordinated.   I have better luck with skewers if I keep things sorted on different skewers by cooking times and do not use too high a heat.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @lousubcap three in a row over the first place team, thank you Lord! We have had all three games on the "Blue Jays" network here in the GWN, Sportsnet. Awesome last few days, great Father's Day gift. Now watching my other favourite team, Cubbies. 
    Doing a prime brisket next week - you will be happy to hear, including the point!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @Skiddymarker - I believe you have mentioned that you occasionally can find virgin points for the sacrifice.  I applaud your decision to stay the course for this cook.  You will be justly rewarded.  
    Pork belly turns out great burnt ends just in case you feel the need for some after savoring the best of the cow.   Go A's. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Take em apart. Put all the meat together and all veggies together. Then proceed, sir..........

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HGrHf16H2jQ

Little Rock, AR

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Meat and veggies do not belong on the same skewer. If they come pre assembled, take them apart and reskewer separately. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.