Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket finish up

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
I've got an 8lb brisket going at an average of 250° today. Although the it dropped below 200° while I was downtown for a while. It's at 174° internal right now. To finish it up by at least 5pm would 300° be appropriate for the next couple hours?

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    I'd wrap and bump for sure, I like my Briskets done early early 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Go for it and you can even push higher.  You want to finish it such that you can give it around 10-15 minutes on a cooling rack (stop carry-over cooking) and at least a couple of hour FTC.  As long as your rub doesn't contain much sugar you can push on up to around 400*F if needed.  Another option is to foil it (lose some of the bark) and run as you note.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Powak
    Options
    She's got tons of bark right now, just needs to finish by 5. So 350° foiled?
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I would start there-and the bark comment is not the quantity of bark but the fact that the foil will cause it to lose the crispness (take on some moisture).  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Agree. I think what you lose in bark you will gain in tender flat, on a small brisket. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Powak
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Agree. I think what you lose in bark you will gain in tender flat, on a small brisket. 
    Ok so I just wrapped it and am crankin it to 350. So that's a good idea? I'd like tender for sure. Taking it to a big house party.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Always remember "The cow drives the cook."  Slice on demand and if you have a few dry slices, just use Q sauce for the save.  Enjoy.
  • Powak
    Options
    Wow that was quick! Went from 174 to 200/205 in an hour and 12 minute foiled and cranked to 375-400