Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions for Pork Belly w/o BBQ Sauce

The fam is not all that crazy about bbq sauce and I am planning to do some cubed up pork belly.  Any suggestions on doing them without bbq sauce?

Thanks

Geaux Tigers!
The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Wing sauce?  Teriyaki?  Hot sauce?    Balsamic dressing or glaze?
  • Jalapeno jelly, balsamic vinegar glaze. 

Little Rock, AR

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Something Korean. BBQ with a twist. 
  • Butter, brown sugar and bourbon, mixed together and brushed over towards the end of the cook. That should do it.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    I love the suggestions.  I really like the butter, brown sugar and bourbon idea.  What's not to like about that combination.  What are the ratios of each?

Thanks
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Along those lines:  3 honey 1 bourbon 1 schriacha little different. Sweet with a kick. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Great ideas above-you can always get them close and then apply different sauces (or nekked) for the finish.  Good luck with keeping the mixed bag sorted out.  Great groceries await.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mango (or similar) Pepper jelly. 

If it was closer to winter I would say cook down some apple jelly with cinnamon and a sweet bourbon. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• @RajunCajun - when I did the butter, brown sugar and bourbon glaze, I used 1/2 stick of butter and the other two to taste, just dumped them in and tasted it until I liked it. Sorry, no measurements, but I'm pretty sure you won't be able to mess it up.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've had good results w. both rubs and marinades started at least 12 hours earlier. If you like heat, and can find it, Walkerwood's Jamaican Jerk paste seasoning rubbed on the day works really well. It is, to me a little bitter, but I guess that is part of the bite.

Butter is always good. Sesame oil w. citrus zest and a bit of cayenne works pretty well too.
  • b0atnutz
    b0atnutz Posts: 34
    check out Malcom Reed  real good Pork Belly
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Look up pork belly burnt ends on the howtobbqright site.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston