Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help with a cook for a pool party Saturday the 24th

Options
I have several friends (all big eaters) coming for a pool party on the 24. I have 2 boneless Butts totaling 20lbs and 4 racks of baby backs totaling another 19lbs. Any leftovers I'll vacuum seal and freeze. 

Everyone will arrive between 1 and 2 Pm on Saturday.

My question is when to cook. Stay up all night? Cook the butts or the ribs the day before? If cooked the day before which is best to do the day before. Try to fit all on my large at once? What do I do with the meat if its cooked on Friday.

I have a large and a MiniMax. I have an AR as well as the platesetter and a PSWoo for the large. I also have a Woo for the MM.

This is my first large cook and the pressure is on. These guys are the brothers that I don't have in my family. I don't want to screw this up so I am turning to you guys.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
MiniMax 04/17
Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

Comments

• Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Options
    Do you still have snow up there?

and you can always do turbo ribs if need be, and do the butts over night 
    HFX NS
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Cook the butts overnight L&S to finish early, then put the ribs on.  If the butts aren't done when they're supposed to (shoot for 6 AM), then crank the heat to turbo finish.  You'll probably need to turbo the ribs at that point, but you'll be all set to go.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    Nsdexter said:

I'm in Saint Johns county Florida hence the name. But to answer your question. No, I don't have any snow just lots of rain. Not sure about the Saint Johns up your way.
    MiniMax 04/17

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    If it was me I'd have the pork done a day ahead and reheat in a crock pot and just do the ribs that day.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    Pulled pork done early and kept hot while finishing the ribs. Start butts about 6 the night before run about 225-250 should get you done by 8 am. Can ramp up the egg to 300+ if needed to push them along. Choak it back to 250ish and apply the ribs. If they're on by 9-10 should be no problem for 2pm serve. May have to push the temp, But very doable. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Go buy another egg, that's the obvious answer.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    DMW said:
    Go buy another egg, that's the obvious answer.
    I second that
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Nsdexter said:

I'm in Saint Johns county Florida hence the name. But to answer your question. No, I don't have any snow just lots of rain. Not sure about the Saint Johns up your way.
    Seriously? I was also thinking you were on the Rock. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • gmac
    Options
    I would seriously consider buying a sous vide on the Anova Father's Day sale. Cook the ribs SV, smoke the butt this week and package and then heat the butt SV on Sat and Egg the ribs to set sauce etc. 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    gmac said:
    Nsdexter said:

No Sir. Saint Johns county is one of the two original counties in Florida and was created just 11 days after Florida was ceded to the U.S. by Spain in 1821.

I looked up the one on the rock and it looks beautiful but I don't live there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Johns_County,_Florida

MiniMax 04/17

• gmac
    Options
    gmac said:
    Nsdexter said:

No Sir. Saint Johns county is one of the two original counties in Florida and was created just 11 days after Florida was ceded to the U.S. by Spain in 1821.

You can move. 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    gmac said:
    gmac said:
    Nsdexter said:

You can move. 
    Nope. I'm not giving up my guns to move to Canada. I was Southern born and Souther bred. I am going to die Southern when my time comes.
    MiniMax 04/17

• gmac
    Options
    We have guns here. We just don't need to use them :)

Any thoughts on the SV idea?  It's not a bad ide for a gun less Canadian (who has a lot of guns to be honest...)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    gmac said:
    gmac said:
    Nsdexter said:

You can move. 
    Nope. I'm not giving up my guns to move to Canada. I was Southern born and Souther bred. I am going to die Southern when my time comes.
    Well, St John's in the southern part of Newfoundland, so there's that.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    St. John is New Brunswick. St. Johns is NF. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Use FTC as your friend. Time the butts to finish 4 hours ahead of time. Gives you plenty of time in case the cook is slower than expected and then frees up the egg to cook some appetizers you prepped the night before. If you've got a Dutch oven, whip up a quick apple cobbler for desert. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    There are lots of ways to get it done, but I would do this:
    1) Smoke ribs the day before and refrigerate. 
    2) Put the butts on the night before, leaving time to FTC. 
    3) finish the ribs on the grill the day of the party, plus any appetizers. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• gmac
    Options
    Holy crap. I've thrown the door wide open to get a sous vide heater. See this is how we get stuff as men. #cantdoitwithout #gmacknowsbest
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Another option would be to smoke the butts overnight until 170 or so and then foil and finish in the oven. This will free the egg up for the ribs. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    OK. Thanks for all of the input. Melding all of this together, I think I will put the butts on sometime Friday but not sure yet if this will be a day cook or an all night cook (never done that before). And then turbo the ribs and just let them go naked the whole cook.

The guys are bring the beans, potato salad and devilled eggs. I'll provide buns and slaw for the pulled pork. Tiramisu and banana pudding for desert along with burgers, dogs, wings and liquid refreshment. 

My first adult pool party and first large cook. I'm nervous.
    MiniMax 04/17

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    No need to be nervous, you've got an Egg...

Remember, we'll need to see photos of big heaps of food :smiley:
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    You'll do great.  You've put out enough impressive cooks, that this will be just another strong performance from the NE corner of Florida.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • MSUladyegghead
    MSUladyegghead Posts: 38
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Menu sounds fantastic!  Address?! party of 5 crashing!
  • Legume
    Options
    For some reason "adult pool party" just strikes me funny.  Is this what man rompers were invented for?
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Legume said:
    For some reason "adult pool party" just strikes me funny.  Is this what man rompers were invented for?
    I meant cooking for adults. I've done plenty of my kids' pool parties in the past (before the egg). But, those were burgers and dogs type of cooks. and I didn't really care what a bunch of 8 year olds thought of my cooking.
    MiniMax 04/17

• Legume
    Options
    I knew what you meant, just struck me as funny.  Have fun, the food will be excellent.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Legume said:
    I knew what you meant, just struck me as funny.  Have fun, the food will be excellent.
    Well, I do say (or is it type?) some weird things sometimes.
    MiniMax 04/17

• thetrim
    Options
    If it's a pool party, you'll want one of these!

XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I would do the pork 1-2 days ahead so you aren't up babysitting it all night, as pulled pork reheats very well, especially with a light sauce (I can send you the recipe I use). Do the ribs turbo, the day of. Gently reheat the pork in a AF pan, either in oven or in a pan on the egg. This is easy, You got this!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini