Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Sleep Apnea

Options
13»

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    @Rascal - Sweet dreams!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    @ryantt i have never heard of that type. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    I put off a sleep study for two years because I couldn't imagine sleeping with a hose and mask.  Didn't think it was possible.  Now I couldn't imagine a night without it.  Yes there is the occasional adjustment of sleeping position while using but overall my sleep quality is off the charts compared to before without a machine!!!!
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @milesvdustin it use to be only available from respironics, called CFlex, but everyone else has jumped in.  It's a common practice for sleep techs to add it during the night as a first step/comfort for patients on higher pressures.  Many folks who end up on BiPAP had increased arousals caused by pressure or difficulty with exhalation.  Occasionally BiPAP is used for low SPO2 levels which is a measurement of oxygen in the blood.  This would have been the wire that was on your finger.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Ditto what @HeavyG said.

I've been using a CPAP for about 10 years since my wife moved out of the bedroom due to my snoring. Did a sleep study and had really bad apnea.

I was in denial because I'm not overweight. But the facts were the facts.

Did take awhile and a few masks/nose pillows to find what works best.

It did give my hair a serious cowlick, though.

Since I went on a CPAP, I've also found out I have CAD... coronary artery disease.  Had a stent installed in 2012. So it's vital that I stay on the CPAP.

I even have a smaller travel machine.

It's become just a routine part of my life. At first I really complained, etc. Than I realized that many people have way more to deal with on a daily basis that a stupid CPAP.

In closing, a former co-worker died in his sleep of a heart attack that was brought on by sleep apnea. He had stopped using his machine.

Also, I believe Justice Antonin Scalia did not put his CPAP on the night he passed.

So, just do it and live to tell the tale!

Welcome to the machine!
    Man, you might have convinced me to give a cpap another shot.

I was diagnosed 13 years ago at 30, hated the machine so I gave up in 10 minutes. Was in shape and exercised daily so I thought I could get by.

If I ever get a good nights sleep it's a miracle, wife booted me to the couch years ago. The minor inconvenience might be worth it.

That's my story too. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I was diagnosed back 2001 and have gone two time without​it ands because I forgot to pack it for an over night stay.  Worse nights of live since I got one.  I am on my third machine.  Best thing l ever did.  I was talking asleep at work, while driving and couldn't remember things.  I have the Philips Dream Station.  My doctor can check my progress and if he thinks my pressure needs changed he can do it remotely.  Mine is tied into my WI-FI.  Here is mine with water chamber.
    Without the water chamber.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Rascal said:
    Just came home with a Phillips Respironics unit.  I asked if they'd throw in  a deal on an air fryer but my humor wasn't appreciated (or perhaps understood).
    Anyhow, more in a day or two.  Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....
    Been almost a week @Rascal   Whats the verdict?  Scheduled to go get mine on Monday........
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    I have been on mine for 2 weeks now.  SWMBO couldn't be happier.  I was told I stopped breathing an average of 71 times an hour.  I am so much more rested now.  So happy I finally did it.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • HeavyG
    Options
    I have been on mine for 2 weeks now.  SWMBO couldn't be happier.  I was told I stopped breathing an average of 71 times an hour.  I am so much more rested now.  So happy I finally did it.  
    Good on ya - stick with it!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Hook_emHornsfan_74 Posts: 1,347
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Have a question about my machine. I have the dreamstation by Samsung. Does anyone use the heated water feature and is it worth it?  Thanks in advance.  Here is a blurry pic. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • ryantt
    Options
    @Hook_emHornsfan_74 most patient do use the heated humidifier; however, some find it makes them feel congested.  Are you  having issues with the heated humidifier? 

• HeavyG
    Options
    @Hook_emHornsfan_74 I use my humidifier every night but I rarely turn the heater on. About the only time I turn the heater on is occasionally during the winter when the humidity is very very low and if my sinuses feel particularly dried out. Otherwise, I prefer to breathe cold air.

One thing to be aware of with a heated humidifier is that if you keep your room on the cold side condensation may form inside the hose and mask. Some machines offer an electrically heated hose to prevent/minimize that or you can also get a hose cover that wraps around the length of the hose and will insulate the hose sufficiently to prevent/minimize condensation.

I suggest you try using your humidifier with heat on and off and at varying heat levels and see what suits you best.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

This thread has me anxious to get my machine next week.  It can't come soon enough.  Chest hurts every day waking up after an unrefreshing 3 hours.

Phoenix 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @blasting  You will love it, I'm not sure I would want to sleep without it.  Just the refreshing nights sleep you'll get will amaze you your first night.  I remember being in a Utopic high my first morning, almost like I was on drugs...  that wore off quickly but it still amazes me looking back.  

If your first mask mask doesn't work, keep trying in that does.  It's a game changer and only thing that makes it difficult is finding the right mask for you.  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I'm still adapting to my new "bed-mate".  Got a new mask to try tonight (Resmed Air Touch) and despite using the highest moisture setting, two hours has my mouth feeling as dry as the Sahara!  Time will tell if I'll be able to sleep through the night and awaken with the euphoria that so many speak of...
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I stopped using my humidifier years ago. Too much trouble every night to fill then clean out the next AM.

No difference in sleep quality for me. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Captainjimpark
    Options
    Has anyone gone through the sleep study not having insurance? Curious what it would cost as I'm pretty sure I have sleep apnea
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @Captainjimpark. I believe there are outfits that will provide you the study as long as you buy the equipment from them.  They even provide the script for the study to get done with in house doctors that approve or deny based upon your results. 

Apneaboard.com is where you want ask for sure.  Join the forum it's free, they will help guide you.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Rascal said:
    ... despite using the highest moisture setting, two hours has my mouth feeling as dry as the Sahara!
    You may be having a problem with your mouth not staying shut. There are chin straps available that can help to prevent that from happening.

I have the same problem.

• HeavyG
    Options
    Has anyone gone through the sleep study not having insurance? Curious what it would cost as I'm pretty sure I have sleep apnea
     If I remember correctly when I had mine done ten or fifteen years ago it cost about $3K but the "insurance price" was actually about half that. Back then there was only a couple places that did sleep studies. Nowadays it seems every hospital in my area has a sleep study center.

One would think that with more competition that prices would be lower but that's really not how things work out in US health care. :)

Call and ask them the cost. Tell them you're paying out of pocket and maybe they'll give you the discounted price for not having to deal with insurance anyway.

• ryantt
    Options
    @Captainjimpark you could get a home sleep study done to get the  diagnosis, then buy an autopap off the internet set 4-20cmH20 with mask and tubing.  That's the cheapest way I've seen. 

• Captainjimpark
    Options
    @ryantt thanks for the info ,I had no idea there was a home test. Just ordered one. Thanks again 
  • ryantt
    Options
    No problem, @Captainjimpark  hope it all works out for you.  

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Hook_emHornsfan_74 Posts: 1,347
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Luckily I hit my deductible with having back surgery so all of my tests have been totally covered.  As well as my machine. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Still struggling with a few issues here, primarily the dry mouth problem after a few hours of use.  It was recommended that I try "Biotene", so I'll see if that helps.  I certainly don't want to be wearing a second device if at all possible! I'm also discovering that keeping everything sanitized is going to be a pain-in-the-neck, daily routine.  Purely by coincidence, I came across this ad (URL below) on the web today  Anyone know anything about it?
    TIA to All!!~~
    https://blog.easybreathe.com/try-the-1-cpap-sanitizer-risk-free/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SoCleanTrial-Pixel-Desktop&utm_campaign=RiskFree3
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Have a question about my machine. I have the dreamstation by Samsung. Does anyone use the heated water feature and is it worth it?  Thanks in advance.  Here is a blurry pic. 
    I have the Dream Station as well,  but mine is made by Philips.  I only use the humidifier part in the  winter when it gets dry in my house.  I don't like the heat much so I don't use it. 

Keep up on your filters.  One only last 2 weeks and tends to effect the pressure some.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • ryantt
    Options
    @Rascal no need to buy a soclean 2.   They are over priced and over hyped.   They basically take room air add an electrical charge and turn o2 into o3.   They are 299 pluses the price of the humidifier adapter. 

• RagingIrishman
    Options
    I've been using CPAP for about 1.5 yrs and I know it saved my life. My sleep quality was so bad and I knew that I was putting stress on my heart because I would wake up in the middle of the night gasping for breath with a horrible head ache. A co-worker passed away about a month ago after having a heart attack in his sleep, he was 43, and I strongly believe it was due to sleep apnea. 
    Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Carrie Fisher....Sleep Apnea was a cause of death.

This is serious stuff boys...
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX