Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Online grocery shopping may never be the same

johnnyp
johnnyp Posts: 3,932
Amazon just acquired Whole Foods for almost $14 Billion.   Whoa! 
XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    THAT is an impressive foothold, but $14 billion for a low margin biz seems like a strange twist. Something will give somewhere!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    That's change in the couch money for Amazon. 
  • SirSquatch
    SirSquatch Posts: 109
    1: Buy Whole Foods
    2: Install Amazon Go in all Whole Food stores and get rid of 90% of the checkout lines
    3: Expand Amazon Fresh to all Whole Foods markets, taking over the home food delivery sector
    4: Profit?
    Northern VA - LBGE
  • DoubleEgger
    1: Buy Whole Foods
    2: Install Amazon Go in all Whole Food stores and get rid of 90% of the checkout lines
    3: Expand Amazon Fresh to all Whole Foods markets, taking over the home food delivery sector
    4: Profit?
    Bezos has never cared about profit. He only cares about market share. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited June 2017
    I agree with @SirSquatch.  What's Bezos's next move?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• johnnyp

I don't even think it's about the store locations.  I think of Amazon getting Whole Food's relationships that can be added to Prime Pantry. 

• Wow. This will be interesting. Whole Foods global HQ is 20 minutes frim my house. I hope
    we get all the fun stuff first! 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Amazon made a name being an online store and killing brick and mortar enterprises.  Now that they've put many out of business, they are starting themselves to get into brick and mortar.  (?)
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• DoubleEgger
    johnnyp said:

I don't even think it's about the store locations.  I think of Amazon getting Whole Food's relationships that can be added to Prime Pantry. 

Amazon has been itching to get in to the g store business for a while. The pressure has been mounting for traditional grocers for a while. Kroger lost about 20% of its value yesterday. Walmart and Amazon's deep pockets will run a lot of grocers out of business. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp said:

Amazon has been itching to get in to the g store business for a while. The pressure has been mounting for traditional grocers for a while. Kroger lost about 20% of its value yesterday. Walmart and Amazon's deep pockets will run a lot of grocers out of business. 

Aldi and Lidl are gaining massive popularity in my neck of the woods.  Suuuupper inexpensive. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    YEMTrey said:
    Amazon made a name being an online store and killing brick and mortar enterprises.  Now that they've put many out of business, they are starting themselves to get into brick and mortar.  (?)
    They're moving into more on-demand delivery.   Books you could wait for.  I think the online grocery thing has been a string of failure or failure to thrive models over the years.  By buying WF they're buying customers and will convert them to sometime order online w/delivery, sometime shop and the shopping will be their improved model.  They're buying customers and established trust, and as someone mentioned above, existing supplier relationships, many of which are localized and they don't have to build themselves now.

I love it.  WF has seemed so much more judgy to me over the years, probably the client vibe more than the store.
  • SirSquatch
    SirSquatch Posts: 109
    I am not sure I see a big fall in current grocers due to this, Amazon is simply placing itself in an already set market of Whole Foods customers. If they change Whole Food's business model then maybe I can see a larger scale impact. 

Around here we have Giant, Safeway, Food Lion, Walmart, Target, Costco, BJs, Lotte Mart, H-Mart, Whole Foods, Wegmans, Trader Joes, Harris Teeter, Aldi and Shoppers. That doesn't include the smaller shops and specialty places. I think there is plenty of room in the "grocery" market for Amazon to plant itself as home delivery and upscale/technowiz with Whole Foods. 
    Northern VA - LBGE
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Snap!  We do Walmart online pickup all the time.  It's a difference maker!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleEgger
    johnnyp said:
    johnnyp said:

Aldi and Lidl are gaining massive popularity in my neck of the woods.  Suuuupper inexpensive. 
    Aldi is nasty here. It's like the Big Lots of food. 
  • tarheelmatt
    johnnyp said:
    johnnyp said:

That'll change soon.  Ours is pretty nice now that they've remodeled.  It was meh, okay originally, but now it's pretty nice.  Lidl will be opening probably this month here, and I'm stoked about that.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleEgger
    johnnyp said:
    johnnyp said:

That'll change soon.  Ours is pretty nice now that they've remodeled.  It was meh, okay originally, but now it's pretty nice.  Lidl will be opening probably this month here, and I'm stoked about that.  
    I'm sticking to Publix 
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    We have publix, kroger, aldi, and sprouts all within a 1 mile radius of each other. I dont know how they all stay in business. Not to mention Sams and Costco a mile or two away from them and a mile or two from each other. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• tarheelmatt
    johnnyp said:
    johnnyp said:

I'm sticking to Publix 
    Publix is nice too. I like having all the variety though.  I do enjoy Aldi's produce and their coffee, mostly.  That's about all I get there.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleEgger
    I think it was a great move on Whole Foods to sell. "Get out while the getting's good"
  • DoubleEgger
    The market approves of this deal. Amazon up over 3% today. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    We have publix, kroger, aldi, and sprouts all within a 1 mile radius of each other. I dont know how they all stay in business. Not to mention Sams and Costco a mile or two away from them and a mile or two from each other. 
    market basket has a cult like following here, within a few minutes drive theres 7 of them with the newest with 32 cashiers. everyone packed solid. then theres whole foods, shop and save, bj's, aldis, a rescently closed shaws, hannafords, 2 superwallmarts, most of which are ghost towns but still open. its just amazing
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Wow. This will be interesting. Whole Foods global HQ is 20 minutes frim my house. I hope
    we get all the fun stuff first! 
    This is a long, long way from the dirty hippy spot it was on Lamar when I went to school there.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • DoubleEgger
    edited June 2017
    This is why they are all in business 

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961

Hey now.  I'm just big boned
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • DoubleEgger
    20stone said:

Hey now.  I'm just big boned

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869

Kind of nuts that we need a category that goes beyond just regular obese to "extremely obese". I mean, what's next?  Circus-act worthy obese?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • johnnyp

Kind of nuts that we need a category that goes beyond just regular obese to "extremely obese". I mean, what's next?  Circus-act worthy obese?
    It's actually titled "Dayum"
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    hmmm. maybe buy on Amazon, pickup in store.