Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bama Fire

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The adventure began thursday night -- the 6 pound boston butt met the Frenches mustard bottle. When it was all over, the mustard had completely covered the butt. Showing no mercy, I added a spicy rub to the butts yellow skin, wrapped him in saran wrap and threw him in the Frig. (No digi-cam, no photos. Sorry, guys. He looked GREAT!)[p]He remained there until Friday night when I pulled him out, what a great looking piece of BUTT! I started soaking some Hickory and Mesquite and then headed for the deck. A nasty rain had already started and the temp had dropped to around 35. No letup in the forecast was predicted, and the super bowl was still coming. So, I threw on a jacket and headed for the EGG. Building the fire in the rain was challenging, but I managed to get it done without too much water getting in the egg. (Note: I did not follow Elder Ward's fire building instructions and was nervous that my fire would be out when I awoke in the morning.) I started the fire, closed the lid, and headed back inside. Time for a bourbon drink.[p]I setup my cooking appartus: ceramic pizza plate (which serves nicely as my heat reflector), drip pan, and rack. coated the drip pan and rack with Pam to make the cleanup easier, and set the Butt in place. I found my thermometer and got in the right spot then headed back outside with my soaked chips.[p]My fire was going nicely and the dome temp had risen to 185, even in the rain! I open the EGG and threw on the double handfull of chips, closed her up, and headed back inside. (Note to self, put on jacket before heading back outside. Need another bourbon drink.)[p]The smoke is amazing -- it's fighting off the rain. I bring out the Butt (found the jacket this time) and set him on the rack. The smoke is blinding. Close up the egg and watch the dome gage, adjust vents, and sip bourbon. After a few mintues, the temp is holding nicely at 215, but I'm worried about wet lump and a poorly built fire. I put up a foil tent over my daisy wheel to keep out the weather (thanks for the earlier tips guys), and head back inside. I check the temp a fwe more time before heading to bed and the dome reads the same.[p]At 6:30 I was awakened by rain pounding on my windows. Nasty stuff! I feared headin out to the Golden Rule for BBQ for Sunday. I slipped on some rain gear and headed outside to check the egg. As I open the door, I saw a wonderful sight -- smoke gently rising through the rain! The dome temp had dropped to 205. I was (and am) amazed! Threw the rain, the EGG kept the so called man off his back![p]I plugged in the polder and got a reading of 145. That's after 12 hours. The smell, as you guys know, is amazing! I love the smell coffee and hickory in the morning. Time to whip up some JJ's Q sauce. I'll keep ya'll posted on the rest of the cook, but the hard part is over.[p]Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend![p]Bama Fire[p]Go TITANS!

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    EGGing in the Rain (PART 2), SOUNDS GREAT! Do me a favor and send me a little when it's done - you can use the e-food transfer system. As C~W would say, HeHeeee!

• Ranger1
    Ranger1 Posts: 48
    EGGing in the Rain (PART 2), I told you it would work! Glad your cook went well. r1

• EGGing in the Rain (PART 2),
    Even in my despair, I am glad for you. My coals went out last night for the first time in my life. I'm having to re-evaluate my lifes worth. I'm finishing my butt off in the oven in preparation for chopping it up for the Brunswick Stew. Having your coals go out is like dropping a baby. Sure you didn't mean for it to happen, but you still feel worthless. But on a happier note,, my house smells wonderful with the aroma of smoked pork I'm thinking about starting a new business. "Coal Watchers". For a small fee, you can have someone come to your house and watch your coals while you sleep. :^}[p]p.s. The Polder just alarmed and the butt looks perfect. I may salvage this day yet. While it cools, I'm fixing me a tall one.

• Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    King-O-Coals,
    My dome temp it hovering around 210 & I can't make it go any higher. I fear that my lump may be all gone. I don't understand why -- I had the firebox fully loaded last night when I started the fire. Maybe the strong wind made the lump burn faster??[p]I've opened the bottom vent about 3/4 of the way and i've spun the daisy wheel open too -- hopefully the temp will rise. I haven't opened the dome -- patience is not one of my virtues, but I don't want to lose any heat either.[p]Good luck finishing up your Butt in the oven. My condolences on your fire. :~([p]The brunswick stew sounds quite tasty![p]Bama Fire

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Bama Fire, if all else fails, lift the grid (carefully and with gloves if necessary) and add more lump - had to do exactly that last weekend - doesn't hurt the butt a bit. Good luck.

• Bama Fire, thanks for your kind expression of sympathy. As I was tasting the butt while grinding it for the stew, I have somewhat forgiven myself. It was fine. I had plenty of lump left this morning, but I must have starved it for air too much. This has never happened before. I probably didn't allow it to stablize enough before retiring. Too much confidence in my abilities I guess. It takes a slap in the face like this to bring you back to earth. The oven worked great, but it's kinda like kissing your sister when compared to taking it to completion on the EGG.