Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill Grates Yay or Nay

Options
I'm considering a purchase of Grill Grates for my xl BGE. Any input would be appreciated. 

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    My input is to save your cash. 
  • Hokiejacket
    Hokiejacket Posts: 154
    Options
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing, any reason you are saying that DE?

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm considering a purchase of Grill Grates for my xl BGE. Any input would be appreciated. 
    I have an XL and the Grillgrates. Our local butcher makes their own 1/2 lb gourmet burgers. At least once a week I grill them on my grill grates. Best burgers I have ever eaten or grilled and the Grillgrates make them very easy to sear and grill without having them fall apart. I also use them on pork chops.
    Highly recommended.
    I purchased the Large size for my XL as I had really did not see the need to cover the entire surface for my needs. If you are cooking for more I would recommend the XL size.
  • Hokiejacket
    Options
    Many thanks for your help and especially the thought about the large size. Hadn't considered that option. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Had them. Gave them away. I bought a lodge CI pan for cooking surface on the egg.
    Used it last night for blackening chicken to go with Matt's roasted red pepper sauce, (@tarheelmatt amazing, btw) and penne pasta.
    Cooked faster, seared better, easier clean. It also cost less, because, I bought a factory "second" at 1/2 price. It seems to be more versatile, as well, with the ability to do pizza and any other type of cook you might want to do.
    Grill grates are fine, but in my case, a better option for me was out there. I agree with Michael @DoubleEgger explore before you buy.
    Best of luck.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I have a set of Grillgrates for my Portable Kitchen PK grill.

Here's a review:
    http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/guide_to_grill_grates.html

I probably wouldn't buy them again, at least for use on the PK grill
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    I'm gonna say HELL YES!
    I use mine on a regular basis, I suggest you check out the video's on youtube and to visit their website.

Don't be pressured by group think .. there are alot of nonsensical accessories that people buy - because they've joined the bandwaggon, it's almost like a Domino effect, one guy buys ... and it snowstorms .. 

I 100% recommend GG's ... one thing I do promise, they will not gather dust.

My issue with Grillgrates on the PK grill is they sit about 3 inches from the charcoal. 
    They become nuclear hot at that distance. They will burn a steak black in about 30 seconds or less. Same for burgers.
    On a BGE I can see that they would do a better job due to the increased distance to the the charcoal.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    No
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I have some and I like them. They are not perfect, but I use them often.  

Pros:
    They reduce flare ups, and even out the heat. 
    Great grill marks. 
    I like the grill tool, and it does make cooking delicate foods easier. You can lift it off instead of scraping. 

Cons:
    They reduce the real estate on your grill. This is my biggest complaint- I really wish they made these to fit the entire grid. 
    I have found the seasoning doesn't really adhere to them so you can get black flaky stuff sticking to the food. I clean mine pretty regularly and re-oil them. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Don't be pressured by group think .. there are alot of nonsensical accessories that people buy - because they've joined the bandwaggon, it's almost like a Domino effect, one guy buys ... and it snowstorms .. 

VERY TRUE.

Specifically with GrillGrates, for me. So true.
    That is the only reason I bought mine. I read how amazing they were, on a couple posts, then I thought I would try them out.
    Although not a total unsatisfactory rating for me, I just needed something else for my style of cooking.
    I like what I have, now, far better.
    You may indeed be like the others, which enjoy this bandwagon accessory.
    Good luck with your decision.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't have them. According to their website, grill grates solve problems I don't have... Flare-up's, sear marks, even heat, flavor. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I have some and I like them. They are not perfect, but I use them often.  

Pros:
    They reduce flare ups, and even out the heat. 
    Great grill marks. 
    I like the grill tool, and it does make cooking delicate foods easier. You can lift it off instead of scraping. 

Cons:
    They reduce the real estate on your grill. This is my biggest complaint- I really wish they made these to fit the entire grid. 
    I have found the seasoning doesn't really adhere to them so you can get black flaky stuff sticking to the food. I clean mine pretty regularly and re-oil them. 
    Thanks, you provided a lot of information without a lot of words. Well appreciated.

• REMtx
    REMtx Posts: 63
    Options
    I have Grill Grates for my large. I use them for burgers, steaks, fajitas, and pork chops.  They are not really a necessity, but do make things a bit easier for a novice cooker. The slotted tool does make it easier to pick up certain foods.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I use a similar product that the majority here shun, CI Mangrates.

Glad I scored them on a great clearance deal.

Raised direct is where it's at.  Biggest pro, controlling momentum throughout the cook, and the uneven heat of the egg and flare ups.  

At fests, friend's eggs, I have yet to find one that cooks evenly.
    I'm sure somebody here has a unicorn though, maybe two. lol

Although I have never used the GGs, I love my Mangrates, and the fact I can move them from grill to grill, and have also seared on the firebox of the Karubecue.  

A griddle loses the grilled flavor IMO.  The juices pool around the protein instead of burning off.  I really wanted my 16" Griswold griddle to workout, it didn't.  I felt, I might as well sear on the cooktop and save the lump and time invested, because there was no difference in flavor.  Similar to baking on the egg, blasphemy I know.  =)

Most times, I just let the pics do the talkin'.

Great for SV boobs.

Haters gonn hate.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options

I had bought a set of grill grates years back to use on my gasser, prior to owning my BGE’s.  I use them on my XL Egg whenever I make burgers.  Enjoy them, and the pronged spatula makes it super easy to flip and move food around on them.

Later I bought a set to use on my Mini Max to help reduce flare-ups and to protect the protein from the direct flame a bit.  Used them once and now they reside in a tub not touched since.  The Mini Max GG’s I received are too big.  The lid won’t close with them in it.  The Mini Max had severe air flow problems due to the GG’s being in it.  I may take a grinder/sander to them and take about ¼” off all the way around.  But not sure I want to mess with it.

At the end of the day it’s a minor investment that you will find some usage for. 

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited June 2017
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

I had bought a set of grill grates years back to use on my gasser, prior to owning my BGE’s.  I use them on my XL Egg whenever I make burgers.  Enjoy them, and the pronged spatula makes it super easy to flip and move food around on them.

Later I bought a set to use on my Mini Max to help reduce flare-ups and to protect the protein from the direct flame a bit.  Used them once and now they reside in a tub not touched since.  The Mini Max GG’s I received are too big.  The lid won’t close with them in it.  The Mini Max had severe air flow problems due to the GG’s being in it.  I may take a grinder/sander to them and take about ¼” off all the way around.  But not sure I want to mess with it.

At the end of the day it’s a minor investment that you will find some usage for. 

I hear GG's customer service is pretty good. I bet they would be interested to know about the issues you had with Mini Max.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    I have a set for my pellet grill and I like them for that. I always had issues getting sear marks on anything in the pellet grill and they accomplished that for me. I don't have that issue with my eggs so I have never purchased them for it. 
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    I love my Grill Grates

Ross
  • wbthomas
    wbthomas Posts: 21
    Options
    My wife got me GGs for my large recently.  So far I've only used them once when I seared a steak and cooking shrimp skewers.  Like @REMtx
     said, not a necessity but make certain cooks easier. I also was a fan of the slotted tool.  Looking forward to trying them out on some burgers soon.   
    Little Rock, AR
    Large BGE
    MM
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I love em. Maybe it's the lack of maintenance required is what I like the most. They really don't need a seasoning likementioed above. I just brush them off and away I go. If you like oil or spray them down after brushing them off, but not required imo. They work as advertised, no question. I like this set up for reverse sear and two zone cooking. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    XL) I have the two-piece CI grates.  I also have a CI griddle/flat top.  I generally have the CIgriddle+CIgrate when doing most small weeknight cooks. It's just me and my better half so don't cook a lot at a time.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Some more options
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Like most things , even the egg itself not a necessity . I have a set for my large and use them for searing steaks , hadn't thought of it til now but I suppose they would keep veggies and other small things from falling through, guess I found another use for them !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Pm sent. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Hokiejacket
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Pm sent. 
    Got your message and responded. Thank you.
  • Hokiejacket
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Had them. Gave them away. I bought a lodge CI pan for cooking surface on the egg.
    Used it last night for blackening chicken to go with Matt's roasted red pepper sauce, (@tarheelmatt amazing, btw) and penne pasta.
    Cooked faster, seared better, easier clean. It also cost less, because, I bought a factory "second" at 1/2 price. It seems to be more versatile, as well, with the ability to do pizza and any other type of cook you might want to do.
    Grill grates are fine, but in my case, a better option for me was out there. I agree with Michael @DoubleEgger explore before you buy.
    Best of luck.
    Really appreciate your insight.