Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Challenger Tables - need opinions PLEASE!

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
Today I was teaching a couple of new eggers who have not yet fired up their new Large egg. It is sitting in one of these VERY NICE Challenger tables:
http://www.biggreeneggchicago.com/egg-tables/custom-challenger-tables/challenger-torch-24-30-grill-cart/

I was quite surprised to see it sitting directly on the shelf, with no air space from a metal bracket. Don't these Challengers need that air space?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    For that price they shouldn't, but I would out of my caution
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Ron, the company says you don't need one, but I do not follow their advice personally. Hard to believe it won't degrade the finisher eventually. I think the table nest make ash cleanup through the bottom vent easier to execute. If you use other means I guess that is not a factor fwiw. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I'm sure they use high heat powder coat, which technically should be fine.  Over time though..., I think I'd be putting a nest or tile down.

I'd be equally or more concerned about a powder coated prep surface.  It wears fantastic - until it doesn't.

Phoenix 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    A bit above my budget. I would allow for an airspace .
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    blasting said:

I'm sure they use high heat powder coat, which technically should be fine.  Over time though..., I think I'd be putting a nest or tile down.

I'd be equally or more concerned about a powder coated prep surface.  It wears fantastic - until it doesn't.

That surface is covered by warranty  the lower may be as well, but why risk it?
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    I use a nest on mine. 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    I will be ordering a Torch 54 soon for my XL. Plan to order the nest. 
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Challenger is one of our best selling carts, we always suggest using a table nest to prevent the heating of the cart during cooking.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• flexfusion
    flexfusion Posts: 240
    I have the exact table but I have my egg sitting in the BGE Nest.  The Nest could be made from more sturdy metal....when I move the table the eggs jumps around a little.  Challenger makes great products.
    Auburn, Alabama
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    I use a nest on mine...
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Challenger is one of our best selling carts, we always suggest using a table nest to prevent the heating of the cart during cooking.

I would have to agree with Smitty, metal transfers heat very readily why heat the cart to possible transfer to a place you may touch. I think an air gap would be beneficial.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I'm just worried you don't cook do you? You just cut gaskets in jean outfits right?
  • SeanP
    SeanP Posts: 30

I've been looking at these carts, specially the Torch 48 and with so many color options, it's impossible to commit without seeing it in person.

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    I was told when I bought my Challenger that the Egg could sit right on the support but I'm the overly conservative type and I've always set my LBGE on three of the old green ceramic spacers. Seems to work well and I think is the best idea.

Mine is the 48" Torch with a fold-down extension. Hands down the best accessory I ever bought. Had to wince when writing the check for it three years ago, but very glad I did.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    I have my XL in the table nest on the cart as well - the instructions say it's not required, but I'd rather be safe then sorry on these things. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker