Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My small is a mini max cross dresser

While trying to figure out the best way to get my purchase as high as possible last week with a ceramic grill store order, I decided to get a kick ash basket & woo for the small.  I have never accessorized the small because it has not performed well on getting to high temps.  After years of tests, I have decided it was an airflow issue and put it in the corner to look pretty and occasionally handle wings or any other grilled items that are cooked at 450 or less.

Since the small is just a tall mini max, the thought came to me to use the kick ash basket for the mini max.  I did a bunch of searching but found nothing and decided to just take the gamble.  It arrived today and I dropped it in.  It immediately makes the small hold less fuel and put the charcoal closer to the cooking grate.  I started a test fire using mostly old lump and small pieces, and frankly not that much of either combined:

I went in for dinner with the family and came out 40 minutes later:

Now I have had my small go nuclear before, but more like North Korean nuclear than USA or Russian use of the term.  This was not an attempt at nuclear, but when my egg was a small instead of a mini max, this would not have happened.  Just passing on the idea to any other small owners that might want to cross dress their small as a mini max from time to time.

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    You could use the HighQue grate and do the same thing and not loose any lump capacity.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    You could use the HighQue grate and do the same thing and not loose any lump capacity.  
    I would place an order right now.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I have the high que for the small, it didn't seem to do it for me. The KAB is way better in my experience. But that's only going on one firing. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I have the KAB for my small. The only reason i got it was to make it easier to clean. I actualy take it out when i use it to smoke. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• cookingdude555
    Ok came home from doing errands and the fire was out in the small as the lump was gone. Poured new lump in this time and hit it with the torch. Ran up to 650 in about 12 minutes. My other eggs do that all the time, the small has rarely done that in its 7 year life. 

The MM KAB completely changes the behavior of my small. I can always go back to the stock or high que to do a low and slow with more lump capacity (basically turning it back into a small). But this thing is staying in there for grilling. 
  • cookingdude555
    Just checked again. Small at 750. Just live blogging for the small owners with high temp issues. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Plus one on the HighQue. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    I have the KAB for the small as well - completely changed the performance. Takes longer to get over 500 but once it does, it's a nuclear machine
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Thanks for the tip. I would be willing to give it a try.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cookingdude555
    I have the KAB for the small as well - completely changed the performance. Takes longer to get over 500 but once it does, it's a nuclear machine
    That is good to hear the small KAB works good as well.  I might still get the KAB for the small, just for my own testing purposes and see if it out performs the MM KAB while in the small egg.  My guess is the small KAB wont run up the temp as fast.  The MM KAB sits above the holes in the firebox, making all air paths go through the lump.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited September 2018
    We have a small and never had any problem getting it to go nuclear.  Just bought KAB from Tom and love it.  Makes cleaning out the ash really easy.  The highque will be used for animal-on-the-coal cooks.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • @Austin Egghead that’s good. My small had a gap around the firebox and firering that didn’t force air up through the coals. Putting a much larger fire grate on the small corrected that problem. I didn’t hate the small, but having the small and the MM seemed silly, and I think it was. I chose the small as the victim, and sold it. I somewhat regret it.