Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

who makes their own pickled eggs?

Options
FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
I love pickled eggs. I make a few times a year but really should make much more often. Cheap and tasty. Just don't think about it enough.

For those who make their own what recipes do you use? What little things do you add to yours? What is your ratio of water to vinegar and pickling salt?

I made a batch Saturday. Used roughly 3:1:1 ratio of white vinegar to apple cider vinegar and water. 4 cups gets just over 1 tablespoon of pickling salt

I like to add white onions, garlic (that a slightly crush and slice in half), and some sliced jalapenos. 

Always looking for new variations though. So what do you use?
Boom

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    I've got a batch going now that I am just using the brine/stuff leftover from a couple jars of McClures Spicy Spears Pickles. They've only been in a couple of weeks so I'll give them at least another week before using them.

I'm guessing I probably should have added some fresh vinegar to the brine to "recharge" it. We'll see.

If making them from scratch I usually add either some hot sauce or red pepper flakes to the mix.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    ive got several recipes up at the camp, best one was pickled eggs AND sausages. just add some pre cooked keilbasa or those texas hot links and some hot sauce to the egg recipe
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    This will have to go one the list of things to do. 

@jacksdad is a pickling maniac- wonder if he's done eggs
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    blind99 said:
    This will have to go one the list of things to do. 

@jacksdad is a pickling maniac- wonder if he's done eggs
    Sure glad broadband hasn't yielded olfactory sensations over the Internet (yet). Noting at all wrong with a pickled egg though.  
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Never done it, but this was the prompt.  Of course I can google it, but does anyone have a list of instructions they'd recommend?
    Phoenix 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I save the leftover juice from Clausen's dills. For a kick of color I add a few beet slices. Sometimes add a little sugar.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I need to wrangle up my grandmothers pickled beets and eggs recipe. All I remember is lots of peppercorns and bay leaves, plus onions.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    blasting said:
    Never done it, but this was the prompt.  Of course I can google it, but does anyone have a list of instructions they'd recommend?
    I haven't reached picked egg nirvana, but learning how to boil them just right is important. Jacques Pepin's instructions work very well on the stove top.

Let the eggs come up to room temperature. Use a needle, and make a hole in the big end. That breaks any air bubble there, lets the egg go to the bottom, and lets some hot water in to cook. That water inside makes peeling easier. He has a couple of different methods, but what I like is to get the water to just simmering, about 170F. Spoon the eggs in. Depending on the size, and how warm they were, it can take different times. Most large eggs I do that were at room temperature take no more than 2 minutes. At around 1 minute, the yolks will still be a little gelatinous, but great for deviling.

Immediately plunge them into cold water, ice water being the best. That prevents any nasty green sulfur stuff from surrounding the yolk.

When cooled, peel, and drop into the pickle. Or gently crack the shell and leave on, so that the color of the pickle juice will form a nice pattern on the egg once its used.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    There must be a gazillion ways to hard boil eggs.

Sous vide is probably the most reliable/repeatable but takes the longest (which may be irrelevant tho since you really don't need to interact with them while in the tank).

Pepin's method is too much effort for a lazy dog like me. 

Get a pot, place how ever many eggs will fit in one layer, fill with enough water (from the cold tap) to cover the eggs plus a little bit, place pot on burner, turn burner to high, set timer for 18 minutes, walk away. When timer goes off remove pot from heat, drain water, fill and flush with running cold tap water for a few minutes until eggs have cooled a bit.

Warm eggs peel a lot more easily so I generally start peeling when they are still warm but cool enough to handle.

If I need more than ten or so eggs I just buy the bags of pre boiled/peeled. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @northgacock thank god. This forum would stink!

@eggcelsior what I would give for a jar of my godmothers pickled beets! Beets are the greatest. 

@heavy g I tried sous vide hard boiled eggs this year for Easter. Won't ever bother with that again. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options
    First off @blind99 yes I have done pickled eggs, and they were pretty good! But I like making pickled jalapenos the best! And I've never pickled an actual pickle. Forgot what recipe I used for the pickled eggs, but I'm sure it was one of the top Google results for "pickled eggs", 'cause I'm a lazy man! 

As for hard boiled eggs... This is the best $16 I've spent in a long long time! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I don't, but I'm a big fan of red beet eggs.
    Looks pretty easy, guess I should give it a try.
    http://www.craftycookingmama.com/red-beet-eggs/
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    I've done it twice.  Wife said NEVER again.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    We add hard boiled eggs to the pickling juice left after we finish a jar of pickled beets.  Leave them for a couple of days (or longer).  Taste great.

Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)