Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL KAB Ash Collection

Options
What does everyone use to shake there ashes into when using an XL KAB? The little galvanized bucket I used for my large won't cut it anymore. Hate the idea of keeping an empty bag around or a large galvanize trash can. 

1 XLBGE and 1 MiniMax

Madison, AL

Life is good, why wouldn’t it be, I’m a Pirate after all. 

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I have a few of these that I use as drip pans - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EZSFY4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Could probably just knock your ash into one of those then tilt/dump it into your small galvanized bucket. Or not, I have no idea as to the actual diameter of an XL KAB.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I shake all ashes from every egg on the lawn. They disappear quickly. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I hold it in a plastic garbage bag and shake it. The cans to fit the xl are too big for my deck. 
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I use a Rubbermaid Brute 32 gallon trashcan. The XL KAB fits part way into the opening, and I grab the handles and shake like a fiend. It then sits there blocking the dust from coming back up while I clean the rest of the egg. I really like the Brutes. I have three of them - one for the ashes, one for lump, and one for briquettes (for my Pit Barrel Cooker). 
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • Genesis
    Genesis Posts: 16
    Options
    I had the same question.  I bought the bigger galvanized trash can, but found it hard to get much room to shake the kick ash basket.  I ended up with lots of ash and lump on my deck After trying to use the trash can.  Now I shake the basket in the egg, pull the basket completely out, turn and remove the cast iron fire grate and use a small dust pan and brush to sweep the ash off the floor of the egg.  It allows me to make sure vent holes are open.  I get my hands dirty with either method.  By shaking the basket in the egg I get rid of more ash than when I was gently shaking over the trash can.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Genesis said:
    I had the same question.  I bought the bigger galvanized trash can, but found it hard to get much room to shake the kick ash basket.  I ended up with lots of ash and lump on my deck After trying to use the trash can.  Now I shake the basket in the egg, pull the basket completely out, turn and remove the cast iron fire grate and use a small dust pan and brush to sweep the ash off the floor of the egg.  It allows me to make sure vent holes are open.  I get my hands dirty with either method.  By shaking the basket in the egg I get rid of more ash than when I was gently shaking over the trash can.
    This seems like too much work. What's the benefit of the basket here? 

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I contacted KAB and Chad said that you can remove the lower charcoal grate now with our straight bottom heavy duty design. Now I just shake it directly in the egg. So if you have the latest KAB you should be ok with that.
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    I use a 30 gallon galvanized trash can. 
  • B747crew
    B747crew Posts: 158
    Options
    Shake it down and use a shop vac. Works great
  • B747crew
    B747crew Posts: 158
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Remove the lower plate and use the egg. After use shake the ash into the bottom of the egg. Get a shop vac or an "ash" vac ( cost about $45 and double as a shop vac ) and vac the COLD ash out of the egg after about 5 or 6  burns.  No muss. No fuss.. Neat /clean/fast viola 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    Genesis said:

LMAO
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Genesis said:

Removing and/or replacing the good lump in one motion vs scooping it out, DARRRRRRGH!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    Options
    I just give it a shake in the egg...
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!