Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

00 Flour

Options
dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
Is this the flour that is recommended for Pizza Dough?

Comments

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Yes, works well.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Depends on the dough recipe.

00 shines for pasta, that is pretty much all I use it for anymore.

Personally, after making a few pies with each, I'd take KA Bread over 00 for pizza.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Not sure that is the flour "that is recommended for Pizza Dough".  Most of the folks that recommend 00 flour do not specify which 00 flour they prefer.  00 refers to the grind fineness.  There are several different brands that mill to this fineness.  Each company also will mill different wheat to this fineness, resulting in low protein 00 flours and high protein 00 flours.

Try it and see if you like the results.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Most references I see are for one or the other of these...

Same company, referred to as "blue bag" or "red bag". I don't know what the difference is, or how they compare with your Granoro.

Then, there are those who contend that plain old bread flour is just fine. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    I prefer Caputo 00 blue. I get it off Amazon in the 20 pound size.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited June 2017
    Options
    http://italiancookingschoolguelph.com/pizza-flour-00-from-italy-or-canadian-made-flour-whats-the-difference-part-1/
    Depends on the crust you want. Check the above, Caputo is typically a blend of 70% Canadian hard and 30% Italian soft - provides the spring and chew most North Americans like. 
    You can mix Granoro with Rogers Silver Star to get a "0" kind of pizza flour. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    IMO, 00 flour is 00 flour.  This just means that is ground very fine.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    No.  That is like saying bread flour is the same as cake flour. Different 00 flours come in different protein/gluten contents depending on the wheat they start with.  Some 00 flours have a protein content very similar to American all purpose flour and some have a protein content very similar to American bread flour.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Double Zero (00) refers to how fine the flour is ground and not its content or even the type of grain.  Most people would see very little difference in the final product regardless of which 00-brand "pizza flour" they select.  We currently have Antimo Caputo 00 "Chef's Flour" ( http://bfy.tw/CJCZ ) and have had great success when doing pizza. 
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Depends on the type of pizza you want. Have been using Shepherd's Low Gluten Flour. Makes a very light, airy dough using the recipe I am. Cooks be Stata very high (900+*) temperature. Produces a pizza that is very light tasting...not the kind that sits in your gut like a rock...
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Most references I see are for one or the other of these...

Same company, referred to as "blue bag" or "red bag". I don't know what the difference is, or how they compare with your Granoro.

Then, there are those who contend that plain old bread flour is just fine. =)
    I am with Q....I have found much joy with the blue. Amazon link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006XL9W7W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    It looks like it has the same ingredients as the Granoro brand. 
    Ingredients

Soft White Wheat (Farina di Grano Tenero)

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    As stated above, it depends on what kind of pizza you're making. My understanding is that it works best for Neapolitan style pizza cooked at high heat (900+?).

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    onedbguru said:

onedbguru said:
    Double Zero (00) refers to how fine the flour is ground and not its content or even the type of grain.  Most people would see very little difference in the final product regardless of which 00-brand "pizza flour" they select.  We currently have Antimo Caputo 00 "Chef's Flour" ( http://bfy.tw/CJCZ ) and have had great success when doing pizza. 
    First post is idiotic and misleading.  Second is spot-on.  That is all.