Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Parental Bragging, Report Card Edition

Options
Elaine's Final 3rd Grade Report Card

Bible.                 A+
English.             A
Handwriting.    A
Math.                 A
Reading.           A
Science.           A
Spelling.           A+

Dean's List
(When I was in school, I was on the principal's list for different reasons.)
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options
    Good for Elaine!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Congratulations all the way around. I especially like the above brother Fred. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hooray for her!  Good work to you and spouse. Make sure she has lots of books at hand. There's something about learning from scanning a page (maybe) over and over that sticks so much better than reading online.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Congrats! That is truly something to be proud of. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Strong work from the young lady.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Good for HER, but also a reflection on her PARENTS! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Good for her / you.

Mine got all A's except for one B.  No excuses, so she's gonna be stacking firewood all summer.

Phoenix 
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    It took my kid 7 years to get her Masters degree in a field that makes no $. as she says when you work for Jesus you will always be broke.  Congrats on Elaine!  Looks super smart and I assume got her looks from MOM!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Good job!

Little Rock, AR

• NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    Well done! She should get to pick what's for dinner this weekend. 
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    So great! Definitely worth celebrating.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    SGH said:
    Congratulations all the way around. I especially like the above brother Fred. 
    Can we get an SGH Seal of Approval for this child? She deserves it!

@Fred19Flintstone, that child is going places....when she needs an assistant in 10 or so years, ill be glad to go to work for her!

It aint braggin if its true.   Be proud and tell her to keep it up!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Can we get an SGH Seal of Approval for this child? She deserves it!

Absolutely. She more than deserves it. I would have given it earlier when I replied but I was driving. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Marina HS Huntington Beach, Ca.  My youngest as a Senior  " Summa Cum Laude"  couldn't be a prouder father in the stands.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Thanks everyone!  Elaine loves school.  I almost wish I can say her hard work is rewarded, but the truth is schoolwork so far has been pretty easy for her.  Her best friend in her class has to work harder.  This girl's mom is their third grade teacher.  Wilma overheard this girl complaining to her mom that she worked hard for a B on a test while Elaine breezed by with an A.  We couldn't be prouder!
    Flint, Michigan
  • gdenby
    Options
    Start saving for college now. I had a job that subsidized my kids' tuition, but room and board and books was as much for each one as for the family house and food.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Start saving for college now. I had a job that subsidized my kids' tuition, but room and board and books was as much for each one as for the family house and food.
    I think a lot of families still have almost no idea of the costs and just how much needs to be stashed away if you don't want your kids taking on loans.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Elaine gets the same deal as my eldest daughter.  We save quite a bit for the college fund, but once it's gone, the rest is up to them.  My eldest lives for free at home and attends University of Michigan Flint.  She'll graduate in December 2018 debt-free.
    Flint, Michigan
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    gdenby said:
    I think a lot of families still have almost no idea of the costs and just how much needs to be stashed away if you don't want your kids taking on loans.
    It's the salaries of all those dim-witted college professors that they have to pay for.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    thetrim said:
    gdenby said:
    It's the salaries of all those dim-witted college professors that they have to pay for.
    Hey!  I resemble that remark!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Proud papa tell the young lady congratulations from us.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • gdenby
    Options
    thetrim said:
    gdenby said:
    Allow me to politely disagree. Most "professors" these days are adjuncts who make very little, and have no job security. Full professors, w. tenure, do make very good money. Think medical doctors' income. But full professors can make more money moonlighting for businesses during breaks than they make from teaching.

There are a lot of snooty professors. And some who just take credit from the work their adjuncts' and grad students' work. The really good ones are worth the price.

A lot of the cost is due to the administrations building out the campus infrastructure to increase the institution's prestige. Particularly in areas w. high value real-estate.

I had a friend who got into Columbia in NYC decades ago, full ride scholarship. His rent fixed 2 room apartment utilities alone were more than I was paying for my family house and its utilities.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    gdenby said:
    thetrim said:
    gdenby said:
    Allow me to politely disagree. Most "professors" these days are adjuncts who make very little, and have no job security. Full professors, w. tenure, do make very good money. Think medical doctors' income. But full professors can make more money moonlighting for businesses during breaks than they make from teaching.

Trim was just giving me the business because he knows what I do.

As for salaries, the average full prof at the University of Michigan Ann Arbor makes around $150k.  That's comparable to MDs, but at the bottom end of the spectrum.  

The work done by adjuncts varies widely between institutions, and in departments as well.  What you've written above may well be true to your own experience, but it's not the case everywhere.  We have several adjunct faculty in our department, but only one of them actually teaches classes, and he also has his own architectural firm.  He's not teaching classes for us because he needs the money.  

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Be sure she saves @SGH Seal of Approval for furture reference...itll come in handy on applications.  And, her academic record over time will open incredible doors of opportunity for her.....ie she will have acholarship offers for tuition waivers she cant imagine.  In addition to vy league or Stanford, there are many great schools in this country she will be able to choose from. Dont forget to include the US service academies as part of the search.  They offer the best education the government can buy.

And if she likes math and science, run with it,  the sky is the limit for her!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Congrats on the accomplishment. I know you are proud of her as you should be.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow