Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling the Bacon Gods

Options
DaveRichardson
DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324

Bacon is something that I'd like to try.  My grandfather raised hogs and he made his own pork-related-EVERYTHING.  I miss that home-made touch.  So here is my plea....

Calling all bacon gods..... what technique do you all use for your curing, smoking, resting, and cutting?

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Ruhlman's recipes are probably the most widely used.  The basic idea is salt/sugar/nitrite for 7 days, then hot smoke, and cut with a nice long slicer.  It's easy, and so darned good.

You can go down a dark rabbit hole from there.  I often do an equilibrium brine/cure so I can completely control the salt level, and I like to cold smoke when it's cold outside. 

Anyhow, google the Ruhlman stuff (or check out his Charcuterie book) and feel free to hit up the forum for details.  lots of folks here make a lot of bacon. @jacksdad has gone nuts with the bacon making he can probably give some guidance.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Use charcuterie recipe and roll with the maple recipe. Cold smoke using AMS. Best thing ever. I have done well over 100lbs and never fails to impress
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Bookmarked this thread 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

Bacon god I am not. Bacon lover I am. 

Prepping appetizer bacon for our South Nashville Egghead Meet and Greet. 

Again, the Charcuterie recipe is solid. I literally SOS'd @bgebrent last night because I couldn't find it in my messages. 

This is one is a Rosemary garlic rendition he sent me. It's next level flavor. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• lkapigian
    Options

Again, the Charcuterie recipe is solid. I literally SOS'd @bgebrent last night because I couldn't find it in my messages. 

Mind sharing the recipe and your smoke process 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    lkapigian said:

Mind sharing the recipe and your smoke process 
    Here's my recipe from the email I sent Adam.  I hope you like it.  The first recipes I found online.  The second is Ruhlman's basic cure.  These are good starting points.  I made up the garlic rosemary recipe and it happened to be a winner.  I hope you like it too.  This bacon is hot smoked but should be great cold smoked too.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Hey look ^^^ There it is. Now I'll have an easier time finding it. 

I do roughly 4 lbs (slice a 8-10 lb pork belly in half) and do the recipe above and add rosemary and garlic. Toss in a gallon ziploc and put in a metal container in the fridge. (Put it in a container!!! Unless you want your dogs fighting over raw salty sugar pork juice on your garage floor) Every morning I walk out and flip it. Let it sit a week or so.

Day before I'm ready to smoke I open, rinse, and let sit on a tray for about 24 hours.  Pretty easy.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• lkapigian
    Options
    Not trying to hijack but add a question on your thoughts of hot smoke vs cols smoke Meathead says "Don't Cold Smoke" other say with proper cure its fine--Hot smoked bacon to me I would think is not the same..( my apologies for the brief hijack)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian