Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mustard on whole chicken

Options
Sippi
Sippi Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan to smoke a couple of whole chickens using JJ's rub. Should I use mustard as well? Your advice, as always, will be appreciated.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Sippi, Are you smoking indirect or doing the beer butt thing? Let me know how they turn out either way if you use mustard. I do the beer butt thing and spray with extra virgin olive oil before cooking. Cooking with 1 chunk of hickory or apple wood. Usually using charcrust.[p]CWM
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Sippi, JJ's rub and a nice coat of peanut oil or olive oil will do nicely.
    C~W[p]

• Sippi
    Sippi Posts: 83
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,I planned to do them indirect. I think I'll use the olive oil and JJ's rub. I want to get them off and start a couple of butts before bedtime. Do you use charcrust for Chicken? The Montreal chicken seasoning was okay, but as the forum pointed out the other night when I asked a chicken question, the Montreal steak seasoning is really good but the chicken seasoning didn't in my opinion, work nearly as well.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Sippi, I use charcrust but I love the MSS for chicken. The chicken seasoning seems like they toned it down a little. Post results.[p]CWM
  • Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Sippi,
    I been eating a heap of chickens lately,Sams has been selling packs of two fresh chickens for about $.36 per lb.,can't even eat possum that cheap. I've been brining them overnite in kosher salt,sugar,gal. of water.Rinse off brine,dry off a little,marinade for a few hours (I've been using Zesty Herb made by McCormick Grill Mate)then put the JJ to it.Been using a chicken sitter with a small can of apple juice under the sitter,set sitter in pan sitting on firebricks for indirect,Polder in thigh set for 176°, dome temp 300°,takes about 1 hr. I've given bunches of these away,taken some to suppers at our church(we're Baptist and Baptist KNOW about eatin' chicken!) Have always gotten rave reviews and never have any leftovers for later.Many good ways to do the bird,hope you find some you like.Good Eatin'...Bob