Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time to learn how to make pizza!

dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
My lovely wife bought me some Eggcessories for my Birthday!

Comments

• bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    I would start with forkish "elements of pizza" 
  • dstearn
    bigbadben said:
    I would start with forkish "elements of pizza" 
    Just placed the order on Amazon. Thanks.
  • Dinah_Moe_Humm
    Dinah_Moe_Humm Posts: 111
    edited May 2017
    My 2 cents.  Get the process of creating the dough down.  Follow the steps of cooking the pizza in the oven first.  Then when you master the process, move to the egg. The book does not outline instructions for cooking pizza in an egg.  For me, mastering the process, learning the steps is the most fun and rewarding.  The pizza's not bad either !!!!!
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    Here's the mellow mushroom dough recipe.  It's easy and you only need 500F. A crowd pleaser. 

https://shutternspice.com/mellow-mushroom-pizza-dough-copycat/
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Fun times ahead. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • dstearn
    Just spoke with the folks at the Ceramic Grill Store. They recommend setting up the Woo2 with the 17.5 stone for indirect. Placing the  Pizza stone on the top rack of the adjustable rig. Dome temp at 450 to insure that the ingredients are fully cooked without burning the crust. Using cornmeal of or parchment paper on the stone and cooking for 12-15 minutes.

Rather than make the dough from scratch I plan on using a good pre made dough from Trader Joe's.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    dstearn said:
    Just spoke with the folks at the Ceramic Grill Store. They recommend setting up the Woo2 with the 17.5 stone for indirect. Placing the  Pizza stone on the top rack of the adjustable rig. Dome temp at 450 to insure that the ingredients are fully cooked without burning the crust. Using cornmeal of or parchment paper on the stone and cooking for 12-15 minutes.
    Temp depends on your dough recipe. 450-500° should be fine for TJ's dough.

There are several things you can use to keep the dough from sticking. Cornmeal, semolina or flour all work. I started with cornmeal, then discovered semolina (much better), but now I just use a light dusting of flour and it works fine. But here's the deal... these things are needed to keep the dough from sticking to the peel. They don't belong on the stone. A pie won't stick to a hot stone and the cornmeal or whatever is just gonna burn if you sprinkle it there.

Just a little on the peel is all you need. Place the dough round on the peel and jiggle it a bit after adding each ingredient just to keep it loose. Very little will wind up on the stone when you launch the pie. Which is exactly what you want.

Here's my peel with all the semolina I ever use...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    My 2 cents.  Get the process of creating the dough down.  Follow the steps of cooking the pizza in the oven first.  Then when you master the process, move to the egg. The book does not outline instructions for cooking pizza in an egg.  For me, mastering the process, learning the steps is the most fun and rewarding.  The pizza's not bad either !!!!!
    Yep. This is spot on....i bought bge mainly for pizza,  then, after failed attempts with store bought frozen dough, and burning dough, i was ready to give up.  Then, varasano was discovered and over past 2.5 yrs pizza dough from scratch has become part of my culinary skillset that i execute with comfidence every time....

Practice practice practice.  Its all in how the dough is handled....
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2017
    Recipes provide a guideline.
    https://youtu.be/5L5GjLdNcQw
    But, I've airways preferred playing with ingredients and hydration. It's taken me a long time to tune it. Funny dough also reacts differently at different parts of the year. Example a recipe written by somebody in AZ during winter will not be a good fit for a FL summer. Enjoy the process and journey. I find working with dough is almost therapeutic...hey it's cheaper than a shrink :wink:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I go raised with the stone... Around 750 degrees. I've learned to pour water on the stone right before each pie. Pizza is actually pretty simple. Try no sauce. Evo, fresh sliced tomatoes, cheese basil. I process whole grain wheat from the beer makers store and incorporate a little while forming the dough. Also good on the peel. 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    That looks great @henapple !
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Lots of good advice so far. Just one more piece of advice: I have heard that it is really difficult to "launch" from a metal peel. Many people advice a wooden peel to build and launch the pie, and a metal peel to remove it from the egg/oven. Or, you can just cheat a little and use parchment paper or a pizza screen. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Lots of good advice so far. Just one more piece of advice: I have heard that it is really difficult to "launch" from a metal peel. Many people advice a wooden peel to build and launch the pie, and a metal peel to remove it from the egg/oven. Or, you can just cheat a little and use parchment paper or a pizza screen. 
    I agree with this 100%. My pizza are a lot better now that I launch them with a wood peel. When I only had the metal, I had to use a lot more semolina to actually get it to launch and in turn I could always taste that on the bottom of the pizza. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • dstearn
    I use the wood peel to prep and ;launch, metal to remove. Both worked great. Now I need to get the dough correct. Tomorrow I will make my 2nd attempt with the TJ dough by letting it set on a flour surface for a few hrs.
  • dstearn
    henapple said:
    I go raised with the stone... Around 750 degrees. I've learned to pour water on the stone right before each pie. Pizza is actually pretty simple. Try no sauce. Evo, fresh sliced tomatoes, cheese basil. I process whole grain wheat from the beer makers store and incorporate a little while forming the dough. Also good on the peel. 

Looks good, unfortunately my wife and I love sauce. Last time I made the pizza she requested that I add more sauce. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2017
    dstearn said:
    henapple said:

Looks good, unfortunately my wife and I love sauce. Last time I made the pizza she requested that I add more sauce. 
    If that's the case she may enjoy a deep dish Chicago style pizza more so than a thin crust traditional NY pizza. It's your pizza so do what you want.  But, in sauce on pizza, more times than not, less is better. More sauce, especially with newbies, will cause launch mishaps. I use a light dusting of semolina on my peel and no worries. In the beginning many use parchment. Some prefer just going straight lump and I've done both straight lump and adding a little neutral wood for depth. It's your pizza party so try different stuff. 

https://youtu.be/Ix5ob8LAieI
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • dstearn
    dstearn said:
    henapple said:

If that's the case she may enjoy a deep dish Chicago style pizza more so than a thin crust traditional NY pizza. It's your pizza so do what you want.  But, in sauce on pizza, more times than not, less is better. More sauce, especially with newbies, will cause launch mishaps. I use a light dusting of semolina on my peel and no worries. In the beginning many use parchment. Some prefer just going straight lump and I've done both straight lump and adding a little neutral wood for depth. It's your pizza party so try different stuff. 

Appreciate the advice, My plan is to add a little more sauce but not to drown the pie in sauce. I will let the dough set on the counter for a few hours so that it will be easier to roll a thinner crust and go from there. I did not have any issues with launching or removing the pie off the stone. It was easy. Now I just need to work on the basics. Eventually I would like to invest in a Cuisinart and make my own dough but fpr now I will Eggsperiment with pre made fresh doughs or purchase dough from a local pizzeria.
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    dstearn said:
    dstearn said:
    henapple said:

Appreciate the advice, My plan is to add a little more sauce but not to drown the pie in sauce. I will let the dough set on the counter for a few hours so that it will be easier to roll a thinner crust and go from there. I did not have any issues with launching or removing the pie off the stone. It was easy. Now I just need to work on the basics. Eventually I would like to invest in a Cuisinart and make my own dough but fpr now I will Eggsperiment with pre made fresh doughs or purchase dough from a local pizzeria.
    Last time I made dough, I skipped the mixer and just used my hands.  Came out just as good and had one less thing in the kitchen to clean.
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • just go easy on the  toppings and sauce if you're wanting crispy crust at high heat. you got this.
  • NPHuskerFL
    You already own the best mixer supplied by the Lord himself. Your hands.  Yes, it's not even available on Amazon :lol:
    https://youtu.be/ngA6t1Pvuek
    I still occasional use my KA mixer but, any more I use my hands and really like this as well. I use it on all my sourdough breads. 
    & it's available on Prime and right now on sale. This is a "kitchen gadget" I use a LOT. 
    https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=the+original+dough+whisk&tag=hydsma-20&index=aps&hvadid=176937389018&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1456753928013515536&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011485&hvtargid=kwd-140755956525&ref=pd_sl_5z7ne4x74c_b&gclid=Cj0KEQjwyN7JBRCZn7LKgb3ki8kBEiQAaLEsqg8wJW5y-ItlEXh1Dquj8omAZSr2YUEYKK3DplSBnkYaAmdD8P8HAQ
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014