Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Good and the Bad (Chicken and Rib)

Options
Felt good after my baby backs on Friday night and did chicken thighs on Saturday with some Swamp Venom rub.  Put them direct about 350F.  Still need to rig up a raised direct for myself on my medium.  Didn't put a probe in them (the 3-4 Dark N' Stormys I had before making them might've contributed there).  About 45 minutes, used the instant read to show about 185-190 IT which was scary but they still came out pretty good.  Decent heat from the rub and not too dry (but can see how they'd benefit from be closer to 175-180F IT.

Unfortunately Sunday was a different story.  Went to my local place and saw they had full racks, cryovac of beef ribs.  I should've turned them down as you can tell they weren't very meaty.  Turned out to be a disaster.  I had the BGE at 285F but since it's a medium I had to use a vertical rack but since the beef bones are so long I had to really adjust to get it under the dome.  Plus with the length of the bones putting some of the rib up in the "penthouse" of the dome I knew they were cooking at a higher temp than those closer to the grill.  I expected a longer cook and after an hour and ten minutes they seemed ready, jiggly, tooth pick wasn't bad, etc.  

Decent smoke but they weren't great.  For openers I didn't take off the membrane which was a huge mistake.  Second, they didn't feel overcooked but on the same token they felt like they needed more time.  I also think I need a much better product.  I was watching videos of various beef ribs and mine didn't nearly have the meat on it that I saw in the videos.  Any advice on selecting these guys next time, i.e. what to look for?  Thanks in advance.
Medium BGE  Owner since May 2017
Trying to bring good BBQ to Queens, NY

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I'd take it. Looks good to me. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,769
    Options
    its all about finding them with meat and its like winning the lottery finding them with meat ;)i dont remove the membrane on them because its pretty much impossible
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Viper4194
    Viper4194 Posts: 23
    Options
    its all about finding them with meat and its like winning the lottery finding them with meat ;)i dont remove the membrane on them because its pretty much impossible
    Well that makes me feel better! And yes, couldn't seem to get the membrane so I just left it on.  Made for a chewy eat!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It all looks good from here. FWIW I like my thighs up in the 185-190 range. I find they have enough fat that they can survive up to that temp and I like the extra time to get a crispy skin. 

As far as beef ribs, you might try finding short ribs instead of beef back ribs. The whole slab might be a challenge to fit on the medium.  The most common way I see them is "bone in short ribs" that look like this:
    Image result for beef short ribs

..basically they are cut into individual ribs and then cut across the bone so they are shorter. It is really fun to cook up a whole slab, but IMO they are just as good if you start with the individual ribs as shown above. At least I have had success with them. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    ...actually I just found another pic of a slab of plate ribs on the large:

...as you can see, there is room to spare so you could do these on the medium if you can find them. I got these at Sam's club. I had to ask the butcher for a slab as they only had cut up shorties in the display case. It came in a cryo-pack of 2 slabs. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Viper4194
    Viper4194 Posts: 23
    Options
    ...actually I just found another pic of a slab of plate ribs on the large:

...as you can see, there is room to spare so you could do these on the medium if you can find them. I got these at Sam's club. I had to ask the butcher for a slab as they only had cut up shorties in the display case. It came in a cryo-pack of 2 slabs. 
    Thanks for the heads up SmokePitt.  Those are the ones I was kinda looking for.  I'll check Costco to see if they have something similar.
  • Smolder
    Smolder Posts: 104
    Options
    Viper4194 said:
    Well that makes me feel better! And yes, couldn't seem to get the membrane so I just left it on.  Made for a chewy eat!
    Use a paper towel to pull the membrane. Makes it much easier to get a grip on it.
  • BGnogin
    BGnogin Posts: 76
    Options
    @Viper4194 I have had luck finding the full rack of short ribs at ShopRite.  I see you are in Queens, not sure if you have one near by.  They display them already cut and sectioned in the cooler, but if you ask the butch they should be able to get you the full slab, and then you can have them cut to size to fit the medium.  I have a large was able to fit two full racks.  I will send you a link to that post.

Good luck, nice to see another egger in NY.