Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Trucks, What do you drive??

Options

Comments

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    1992 GMC Sierra short bed standard cab 4x4, 350, AT, 3.73 gears 160K on the clock, 16.8 mpg last fill up.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    @ColtsFan is that a track day?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I have had a 93, 01, 03, and 09 Silverado and a 13 Sierra. 

93 was my favorite. Long bed. Standard long bench cab. Manual transmission. Contractor white. Inflatable mattress in the tool box.

I pissed off more rich daddies with that truck than the Affordable Care Act. 
    Inflatable mattress in the tool box!  I'd say did more than piss off some rich daddy's.  Guessing you ducked some double 00 buckshot along the way.

@bgebrent I'm just saying...the guy wants kids, I'm trying to help a brother out. 

Also I have found that rich dads don't shoot at you with shotguns. They wait patiently for you to marry their daughter and attempt to belittle you in their Christmas newsletter. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Thanks guys for the input, seems like a lot of love for the chevy/gmc trucks. @Jeremiah there may be too many to list but we do tow (usually less than 6k) some, and we want more cab room than we have for kids and adults for trips etc... this will also be a daily driver unless I keep my current yota for work. I hunt and fish but don't really need 4wd (we take a buddies truck hunting). Main factors for me are reliability, more cab space and ability to tow 6-7k lbs, gas mileage is not a huge factor since I'm used to getting 12-14 avg. I realize this is a tough question that only can be answered by me ultimately (as far as what I need in a truck) but I like to get other opinions!
    LBGE
    AL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Behind this guy at a light earlier today.  The Arabic looking script on the left (above the rifle) actually says "quit blowing **** up" but it takes a few minutes to realize it's English.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Thanks guys for the input, seems like a lot of love for the chevy/gmc trucks. @Jeremiah there may be too many to list but we do tow (usually less than 6k) some, and we want more cab room than we have for kids and adults for trips etc... this will also be a daily driver unless I keep my current yota for work. I hunt and fish but don't really need 4wd (we take a buddies truck hunting). Main factors for me are reliability, more cab space and ability to tow 6-7k lbs, gas mileage is not a huge factor since I'm used to getting 12-14 avg. I realize this is a tough question that only can be answered by me ultimately (as far as what I need in a truck) but I like to get other opinions!
    Have you been out test driving yet? 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    While we are talking about trucks, what do you think about that aluminum body Ford @Jeremiah
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Test drove a tundra double cab and crewmax, crewcab Silverado, 2016 Tacoma and drove a 2015 quad cab RAM for a few days while my truck's bumper got replaced (got backed into). I have a few more on the list to try! 
    LBGE
    AL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    1997 Ford, Eddie Bauer Edition, Expedition (first year they were made) with 190000 miles on it. No plans to get another truck anytime soon. Real men can keep Ford trucks on the road, because we fix everything, all the time. You never have nothing to do if you own a Ford. Real trucks, for real men, or stupid men, I forget which.......

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Test drove a tundra double cab and crewmax, crewcab Silverado, 2016 Tacoma and drove a 2015 quad cab RAM for a few days while my truck's bumper got replaced (got backed into). I have a few more on the list to try! 
    What are your thoughts thus far?
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Let me throw a beater into the mix:

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Got Sig sticker is the first order of bidness.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Let me throw a beater into the mix:

Your beater looks a helluva lot nicer than mine after two wrecks.  =)

Nice lookin' Ranger bud.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I knew this thread would get lots of replies.  My. Only truck I've ever owned was a94 F150, so I lean into the Ford Camp.  Saw a sweet looking F250 at the years Fl State Fair, and I think it was only stickered at $80k.  Not too bad.  Haha. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    15 Expedition Limited - nice truck, but the interior needs a makeover - hasn't changed in years and Ford Sync sucks.  The 18 is redesigned.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    My FIL's 37 Chevy with a 400 small block crammed in there. Stupid amount of power. Work in progress

I didn't think anyone was using a 400 small block.  You take the crank out of that motor put it in a 350 small block and you end up with the 383. As the saying goes, the best motor Chevy never made.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    My FIL's 37 Chevy with a 400 small block crammed in there. Stupid amount of power. Work in progress

I didn't think anyone was using a 400 small block.  You take the crank out of that motor put it in a 350 small block and you end up with the 383. As the saying goes, the best motor Chevy never made.

The whole reason this truck exists is because he had an old 400 block sitting in the garage and wanted to do something with it. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

dougcrann said:
    02 Cheby 2500HD, Duramax with an Allison. Great truck. Just replaced the problematic injectors...other than that have had 0 problems in the 105k I have had it. 

@dougcrann. What motor do you have?  The 02 with an 8.1 / allison trans was the favorite of all tbe trucks I've owned.
    Phoenix 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    The square body is the best truck of all time. 

Agreed x10

If I knew anything about mechanics, I would drive a 70's chevy as my daily.

Phoenix 
  • Danny71
    Danny71 Posts: 108
    Options
    03 f350 work horse 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    07 Tundra. No plans to get rid of it, especially while Toyota doesn't come out with a different engine. 

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    2014 Silverado Crew cab LTZ
    In BGE green.

SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    2007 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - 109k miles - fully paid for. Same boat - been looking at a new rig with the 2nd baby on the way, but terrified of getting something new when I've had so much great luck with the Tacoma in terms of maintenance. Never anything unscheduled - just oil changes and tune ups.
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    @saluki2007 this was at Grissom AFB. One of those drive your dream car event. The Gallardo was not built for my 6'1" husky frame.  =)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options
    Just got this last week.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    2002 Chevy Suburban, 386,000 miles and still going strong!
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have a 2011 Ford F150 4x4 crew cab I bought new in January of 2012 with 86000 miles on it and I just paid it off.  It's been very reliable and I don't plan on replacing it any time soon.  I like the new Ford's, but don't want another payment for a while.  The Ford has a lot of room in it, but the Chevy and Ran are ok as well.  I haven't compared trucks in a long time.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.