Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Air Fryers>>OT

Options
Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
Anyone have one or know someone who does?  I love my crispy, crunchy fries, chicken wings and all, but hate dealing with the large quantities of oil that so soon wind up getting tossed.  They seem to be gaining popularity and I'm on the verge of springing for one.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated!  TIA!!~~

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    edited June 2017
    Options
    There is a lady that has a you tube channel " booger500us" I believe she goes by, all her cooks are in,an air fryer, might look her up and watch
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I think @Carolina Q maybe has one?

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Recent long thread:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2123166
    scroll up to the start of the thread by Focker
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    "booger500us"!  :lol:

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited June 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    Recent long thread:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2123166
    scroll up to the start of the thread by Focker
    Yeah, my comments are in that thread. The only thing I have to add is that I finally found frozen fries that have hardly any sodium!!! At Aldi. :)

Fit and Active Fries
    110 calories per serving
    0 Sat fat
    55 mg sodium

Much easier than scratch fries. I won't say they're better, just different. And not needing the 30 minute water soak is a plus.

Oh, one other thing, I've been roasting chicken more than "frying" lately. I don't usually add any oil at all. Season a couple of pieces of chicken, into the fryer for 10 minutes, flip 'em over and then 10 more. Perfect every time, no oil needed. When I want fried chicken, I prep as usual (seasoned flour, egg, more flour, then into the air fryer with a spritz of oil. Pic in the other thread. Delicious!! And no vat of oil to deal with. Or eat!

Still haven't tried "fried" shrimp or a tempura cook. We'll see.

Got it from my son on Christmas. I use it a lot and it's still working great! Made by e'cucina and called the HealthyFry Air Fryer. It was on sale when he bought it, about $100 from Sur la Table, but it appears they no longer carry it. Don't know what that means except they now sell the Philips... for $300!!! 

Anyway - I love it!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Looks like Sur la Table still sells the XL model. It's marked down from $350 to $200. Hmmm.........

https://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-2855450/HealthyFry+XL+Air+Fryer

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Botch said:
    "booger500us"!  :lol:

I know Ha!...has some cool cooks though 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • moose3356
    moose3356 Posts: 11
    Options
    I have one have used it for fries and wings. The fries I cant tell the deference and the wings are good but not as crispy.
  • Rascal
    Options
    Thank you all for the comments, and thank you Michael for the tip on Aldi's fries.  They recently opened a new store in Groton so I'll give them a try.  If anyone is interested, the Phillips air fryer recipe book is available online for free...
    http://www.usa.philips.com/c-dam/b2c/USMasterChef/avance_recipes.pdf
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    So could a similar result be achieved on the egg set up indirect with your food in a perforated pan or basket for easy tossing? 
    Pratt, KS
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    MattBTI said:
    So could a similar result be achieved on the egg set up indirect with your food in a perforated pan or basket for easy tossing? 
    I don't believe so. Air Fryer relies on fast moving hot air. BGE, just about the opposite. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    MattBTI said:
    I'm told a convection oven will produce a similar result, but I don't have one.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    MattBTI said:
    Since these "air fryers" are not fryers but in fact mini-convection ovens, a convection oven should indeed get you the same results.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    MattBTI said:
    Since these "air fryers" are not fryers but in fact mini-convection ovens, a convection oven should indeed get you the same results.
    An oven with a little fan can not compete with a unit made specifically to heat and rapidly circulate air in a round convection cooker. But agree, they are not a fryer.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I mentioned this in the other thread, but I have one and wouldn't buy it again. It is basically a high-powered convection oven. I will say it is much faster than the oven, but I have found the results to be similar. Tots cooked in the air fryer come out just like the tots made in the oven, but they are ready in 10 minutes instead of 25 minutes. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    I mentioned this in the other thread, but I have one and wouldn't buy it again. It is basically a high-powered convection oven. I will say it is much faster than the oven, but I have found the results to be similar. Tots cooked in the air fryer come out just like the tots made in the oven, but they are ready in 10 minutes instead of 25 minutes.
    So tots in an air fryer suck too?  :sick:  =)

I love my air fryer and when/if it dies, I'll be in the market for a new one. Though I wouldn't spend anything close to $300! I think my son paid about $100 for mine. Would spend that in a heartbeat.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cmyachtie
    Cmyachtie Posts: 101
    Options
    We have one and it produces the best chicken wings ever....just wings and spoon of oil is all......finger licking good.
    MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada
  • Rascal
    Options
    Cmyachtie, may I ask what brand?  Thanx!