Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying an Egg

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
or subtittled: Beating a dead horse.[p]I've been looking over the archives for HOURS now, but I've still got a couple of questions. I live alone and 80% of the time I'll be cooking for just me. The other 20% of the time it will probably be for 4-8 people. I want an Egg, but I also would rather spend money on accessories than buying too big an Egg. Locally the difference in price between a medium and a large, including a nest and the side tables is $100. I'm not sure saving that much money is worth it, or can I even get by with a small?[p]Next, do dealers bargain over prices? I've found the same set up, including shipping for about $80 less on the web. I would rather buy locally, but $80 plus the sales tax buys a lot of other things. Even if they would meet me half way I would buy at home.[p]Lastly, does the mini make a good tailgate grill? How quickly does it cool off as I would have to pack it back up before I could leave for the game each time? The small is just too big for my car...I drive a Mini Cooper!!![p]Thanks for letting me ask all these questions. If I get good answers by 11AM, I'll be going to buy my Egg tomorrow!!!! GRIN!!!!

Comments

• FSUScotsman,[p] You should be happy with a medium. [p] As for local or internet. Local. Read the warning from BGE about buying from the internet. Local people it's easier to deal with for any warranty issues. You will be sure your Egg won't be damaged getting to you.[p] Now go buy your Egg...
  • Celtic Wolf,[p]That was the way I was leaning. The cost for that set up here is $769. A $100 is still a lot of money to me.[p]Thanks. [p]I can save for the Mini if that works out!!
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    FSUScotsman,
    It certainly never hurts to ask. I dealed and wheeled mine down when I originally purchased it. Where are you going to put it? I've got a nest for my small that is in the garage. My small is sitting next to the large directly on the patio. With all the table pictures I'm in the minority but I like the Egg down the ground. I've got two kids and an eighty pound dog running around in the backyard not to mention the neighborhood horde, I'd worry to death if they were sitting in nests. [p]Obviously living alone you don't have that worry. My longwinded point is that you don't have to have the nest dependingon the surface it will sit on, and can live without the side tables although they do look neat A plastic table for $5 or so will work just fine. Subtracting those items might put you into a large for the same money. The extra cooking space with guests would likely be a good thing.
    HappyFamily.jpg

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    FSUScotsman,
    I am single, have 4 eggs, Lg, Med,Sm & Mini, my first was the large (and my favorite) the price difference was about $75 between the Med and Lg when I bought it.[p]Now I realize the $100 difference is a lot to you but "IF" you can I would go with the large, hands down. You can always save for a small or mini later.[p]Best of luck to ya,
    Bordello

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    FSUScotsman,[p]For those times when you are not cooking for yourself, a medium might be kind of small. While I have cooked for 8 and more a few times, it was a bit of a struggle on my medium. While I thought the initial price of the Egg was kind of high, it has all but replaced the oven as appliance of choice.[p]gdenby
  • dhuffjr,[p]Is that a Primo micro grill laying in the grass behind your large that you are trying to hide? Is there something that you should tell us? It looks like you kicked it into the yard to try and hide it in the pic. Hmmmmm....[p][p][p]I realy know it's a kong for your giant dog.[p]I agree with your ideas. Skip the nest and the wings and go for the large. That should save more than the $100. Then get a plate setter and still have that $100 in your pocket.[p]E
  • FSUScotsman,[p]I just purchased a used BGE. Used eggs are tough to find, so don't hold your breath. My point is that I got a large, and am planning to use the plans provided online to MAKE the wooden table/stand pictured in the BGE product listing pages. If you search around online, you will see that there are others who have posted plans with their personal modifications to the original design. Very nice, and cost effective.[p]Regards,[p]Gator Egg
  • dhuffjr,[p]Mine will be going on a brick paved are very similar to yours, but I need to be able move mine as I don't have a fenced in yard...yet. Unfortunately, you wouldn't believe what people will steal around here!!! BUT I can make my own wooden cart.
  • FSUScotsman,[p] Didn't know the large was an option for you. If it is get the large. As was said you can save money by not getting the Egg Nest or Egg Mates. [p] I have an XL and I am quite happy to fire it up for just me and my wife..

• Bordello,[p]FOUR!!?!???? What's a single guy do with four??[p]Can you answer my question about the cool down on the Mini?[p]Thanks

• dhuffjr
    Eggecutioner,
    Actually it is the real Michelin Man LOL.
    I had wanted to build a raised platform for the Egg(Just had a large at the time) to sit on out of the wall stones I built the column with. The wife vetoed that idea.

• dhuffjr
    FSUScotsman,
    Cook a lot of food! Realistically if your a hermit and never have anyone over a small is all you would need. A large is the universal starter Egg as 99% of folks find the space needed once they start cooking and the hordes start showing up for dinner. The large/small combo is also the universal combo most recommended. The mini seems a good tailgater but the small is light enough to move around too.

• FSUScotsman,[p]Well, I've been doing my homework and one of the other stores not to far away is considering giving me a discount if I will by the nest and wings and get a large one. About $70 less than the other store. I'll have to wait till Monday to know for sure but if that deal come through, I'll be the proud owner of a large BGE!!! WOW!!!!

• dhuffjr,[p]Well, I'm not a hermit, it's just that I didn't entertain much with that old gasser. ANYONE can use a gas grill. I think I can see my social life improving, at least around the dinner table with one of these!!! GRIN!!!!
  • dhuffjr
    FSUScotsman,
    Pitting competetors against each other is always a good thing for you wallet :>)

• FSUScotsman,
    FSU has been in my life for a long time. i dated a girl who attended in the early 70's, married her in 78, she is finishing her phd there this year.
    could you be local? (panama city)
    if so or anywhere close email jwitheld at aol.

• that could be considered "hunting over bait"
  • BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Bordello,[p]I can appreciate this. I am single with 4 BGE's 1-LG, 2XL and 1 small. I also have 2 of the original design from some 17 years ago as well as a couple of other name brand ceramc cookers and I use all of them. At home, tailgates, lake, beach, camping and competitions. It's a cult or lifestyle with me. However, I have to say that my first is still my best. I bought her when the new design first came out some 10 years ago. With the XL and the other ceramic cookers I use the stoker and gurus and all that other fancy stuff. But that first Large Egg---well I can set her at whatever temp I want and she'll hold there until there is no more lump. I've got 3 butts on right now and she's been holding at 225 for 17 hours. No guru or nuttin'. Nothing like your first BGE.

• FSUScotsman,[p]I went with the large, but I have a family. Even if I were single I would still go for the large because most of the advice is geared towards the large. It will be easier to get up to speed. It will be esier to make pastrami and beef jerky in the large. It will be easier to make a big ole turkey in the large. Most of the pizza advice/methods are geared towards the large. [p]Just get yourself a vacuum sealer so you can cook a lot on the weekends and feed yourself all week with leftovers.[p]Spend some time at nakedwhiz.com for table ideas and plans.
  • FSUScotsman, I am a retailer I would not recommend that you purchase an egg over the internet. The Big Green Egg has a great warranty. If you purchase your egg over the internet your local dealer will cover the warranty. Then you have to worry about the shipping. Eggs do break and the freight will cost you a lot of money!!!!! So go to your local dealer. This time of year he should be willing to work with you on the price. But keep in mind there is very little margins / mark up on the eggs.

• Edintx,[p]Well, I've got have the leg up!!! I've got a vac sealer already, I just bought it a couple of weeks ago!!![p]I also think the pizza thing is swaying me toward a large.

• Miller,[p]Thanks for the advice. I've pretty much made up my mind to buy locally after reading the replys. One thing though...I live in Tallahassee, I really don't think I'll get too much sympathy price wise from the dealers here. FSU has seven more home games and three more on TV. This is PRIME TIME grilling season here. LOL!!!! Of course one more "victory" like tonight and there may be a few BGEs that got kicked over!!!
  • BYC,[p]Now I get to ask a newbie question. What is a guru and a stoker?

• FSUScotsman,[p]Basically, automated temp. control.
  • FSUScotsman,[p] Nope, not gonna happen.. Egger's are more loyal to the green then any old pig skin team..[p] Nobody else dare try to knock over the egg.
  • psiman,[p]Are they things or techniques?

• Celtic Wolf,[p]LOL!!!![p]Obviously you don't live around Florida State fans!!!!