Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Lid Will Not Open

Help! We cooked on the egg a couple of nights ago with no problems. I shut it down when we ate but, today, I cannot open the grill. The lid is firmly sealed against the cooker. Any suggestions short of prying it open with a screwdriver?

Comments

• BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
    Al Wilson,
    Best guess is that the Egg got hot and you melted your gasket. You should be able to get something like a thin bladed utility knife, a thin spatula or putty knife and work it into the crack and get it open. I would avoid using a screw driver, as you do not want to damage the ceramic edge.

• Let me know how you got it open...mine is stuck shut also...i tried using a paint peeler and a hammer..no luck..

• Al Wilson,
    The last time I did this I tried to cut the gasket apart with a utility knife but it was too hard. I then took a flat-blade screw driver, gently hammered it into the gasket and then gave it a twist and it popped right open.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Rick GRick G Posts: 166
    Al Wilson,
    Try getting a fire lit by going through the lower draft door.... get it hot and see if the loosen up the old glue any.

• Why1504Why1504 Posts: 277
    Al Wilson,[p]I use a painters scraper. Tap easy.
  • billygbillyg Posts: 315
    Al Wilson,
    I opened my neighbors green egg with two stiff bladed putty knives.Tapped them in at several spots being very carful not to hit them very hard. I sweted that thing cracking., His gasket was rock hard in places, was 4 yrs old and the original.

• The Naked Whiz, I did something similar. I tapped in a butter knife on each side, gave them a twist and it popped right open. It did knock out the gasket where I tapped them in, but it was toasted anyway.

• Al Wilson,
    I loved you as middle linebacker for UT in the late 90's... tell Raynoc Thompson hello for me!!

• tach18ktach18k Posts: 1,607
    Al Wilson, I found a drywall knife works best, very thin and strudy, slide it in and slowly move it around, it will pop open.