Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anybody ever use a cast iron pizza pan as a platesetter???

Options
George
George Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i wanted to get the Logde Pizza Pan to use as a platesetter for my large BGE. has anyone ever tried this? [p]i used a thin pizza stone the other day that i got from linens and things, but it cracked under the heat. i was thinking that the cast iron might be better, but wasn't sure. plus, i figure i can always use it as an actual pizza pan too!

Comments

• George, I have used a Lodge griddle as a platesetter, and works fine, however, am using a homemade grill extender with BGE pizza stone now & like it better...good luck

• egginator
    Options
    George,
    Try fire bricks. $1 each at a masonary store. See the naked whiz site.

• Essex County
    Options
    George,
    I have the Lodge pizza pan and find it useful for several tasks. It does work well as a platesetter. It also works for pizza but you'll a need real platesetter also to provide a better buffer from the direct heat. I've seared steaks on it. I also heat it up on the stovetop and use it to press and crispen spatchcocked chicken.[p]Paul

• Lucky Duck
    Options
    George,
    I have used as an experiment, the lodge pizza pan. No one on the forum seemed to have knowledge of it, as used on D'egg. I found that it seemed to conduct to well. It got the bottom to well done before the rest of the pizza got properly cooked. I set it on the platesetter too. I thought it would be the just the right thing.[p]Phil, D'cast iron Duck

• George
    Options
    Lucky Duck ,[p]yeah, cast iron is a VERY good conductor, almost too good for something like pizza. maybe cooling it down with a damp rag right before putting the pizza on might help.[p]does it work as a good platesetter for you?