Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-Tip

Options
Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just did my first tri-tip on the egg. Considering I am known for making these for others and neighbors ask me to cook for partys. I thought I had mastered Tri-tip cooking on my weber. I couldn't have been more wrong. THe BGE makes a whole new level of tri-tip possible. Anyone wanting help with tri tip can feel free to E-mail me.I still used Santa Maria Rub, its widely known in this area but never heard it on BGE forum. Have a great day!

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Uncle Dave,
    Tri Tips are always a great subject for a cook. I love those rascals and its rare to find a butcher that knows the cut. There are several excellent ways to cook em, and my favorite is to sear em over 700F for a few minutes both sides, and then camp down on the bge with the slider or daisy wheel on and let the BGE finish roast em to around 135 to 140 internal. They shrink up like a giant leech. :-)[p]Great just salt and fresh ground peppercorn and even with a mustard rub base. Be sure and share your's as we can all benefit. One of the excellent tri tip recipe source I have found is the Oregon Beef Council. Many other's available also.[p]Old George over in Colorado is a prime Tri Tip cooker. Got me aquainted with em way back when...Thanks George! And thank you Uncle Dave..great to have ya on board.
    C~W

[ul][li]Oregon Beef council[/ul]
  • Uncle Dave
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks for you reply. I am surprised as you are that more people dont know what a tri-tip is. We have a small grocery store / butcher shoppee that is a legend in this area. The man that made it famous also was a tri-tip guy. He pushed it to his customers offering to package and put you choice of rubs on before wraping it up. He sort of went after that bigger income group, I found him when I moved closer to the good side of town HA. His instruction was 500 with fat side down burn it black 30 min only. Then shut the egg down to about 300 turning the meat at this time. Then about 40 min. in side temp 160-165. Take off let set on cutting board about 15 min. Then cut off that black fat crust on the first side.Slice with electric knife. The most comments I get when I feed this to folks is " why would you ever waste time cooking brisket again" I'm not sure about that however for those of you who have'nt found a butcher that has tri-tip yet- FIND ONE. Super good luck to all

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Uncle Dave, I tend to agree. I think the Tri Tip has the best rich beef flavor of any cut of beef, for a roast.
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Uncle Dave, sorry, I overlooked the "brisket" referral. Brisket, IMHO, is in its own class of perfection. When done properly (southern style) and served up with sauce, its perfection of it's own. I guess thats why us humans like bacon and eggs one day, and pancakes the next.."Variation is the spice of life", in foods anyway :-)
    C~W[p]