Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

trifecta update

Options
char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am now in the middle of the first part of my trifecta. I have got my butt on the grill, holding steady at 225 dome temp. [p]Here in the Philly area we are blessed with wonderful amish farmer's markets. As I was down there picking up my butt, one of their baker's
was selling super, super soft potato dinner rolls. I'm going back tomorrow and picking up a bunch of them for my pulled pork sandwiches.
I am imaging that they will be as soft as wonder bread, but have texture, taste and not over absorbent. We'll see.[p]char buddy

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    char buddy, Amish cooking (Old German Style) is tough to beat. If you can whine and cry hard enough, maybe you can get the recipe for those potato rolls? We have a Amish settlement complete with all the shops 80 miles east of here. They draw standing crowds every weekend for dining. The set up the tables for a family dinner buffet, and bring food till your in pain. All you can eat.
    Chowser.
    C~W

• GWW
    GWW Posts: 43
    Options
    char buddy,
    Could you pick me up oh 7 dozen of those rolls for me?..Just ship them on down to DC ... throwing a big ol party in February! Did the butt have a good nights sleep?
    greg

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I know what you mean CW. Here in S. IL there is a rather large amish settlement and the women in the family clean houses and offices around town. There are about 6-7 women in the family and they all clean houses to make money. By the way, they clean a house within an inch of its life, amazing. My folks had one of the daughters clean our house when I was younger, I'd come home from school and all of the coins on my desk would be stacked, pennies in a pile, quarters in their own pile, dimes etc. VERY VERY meticulous (sp). Anyway, one time a year the amish families would put on a big buffet spread for the families and businesses that they cleaned for. Whole hogs, fresh homegrown veggies, all you could eat and the pies and deserts are out of this world. It was a great party and everyone looked forward to it every year. The amish are VERY interesting to talk to, different way of life. We also have a Mennonite (sp) settlement just 5 miles east of us, they have adopted a little more to modern living by adopting electricity etc. Not nearly as strict as amish but still very devout in their beliefs. The Menonites run a bakery and they are sold out by 6am every morning, their pastries fly off the shelf.[p]Troy
  • char buddy
    Options
    gww,[p]If I could I would. I going downtown again today to pick'em up. I'll let you know how they turn out. [p]As for the butt and its beauty sleep -chek above. [p]Sleepy in Philly,
    Char-buddy

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    sprinter, amen. They are beautiful people that prefer the simple way of life, and retain old time values. I think we need that in the blend of the American way of life. It's almost like a seed bank of virtues.
    During one of our "Ham Radio" emergency tornado assistance duties years ago, I was fortunate to watch the Amish men working thru the fields in rows to gather lost personal affects, as well as cleaning the field for the owners of trash and damage materials. Sawing and stacking downed timbers for the homesteads. And taking nothing in return except food and drink. Great folks. A tradition to be proud of.
    Gee....off topic but a good subject non the less.
    Have a great day.
    C~W

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    char buddy,[p]You will love the potato rolls for PP! We claimed consumers priviledge and swapped out the cheap white buns for them a while ago. I have had great success with dinner rolls, biscuits, flatbreads, and breads in the Egg and have been wanting to try a real potato starter bread...:-)[p]Sounds like all of the makings for a fantastic time.[p]Spin