Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite pizza sauce?

slovelad
slovelad Posts: 1,742
going to have some friends over this weekend go make pizzas on the egg for the first time.

whags your favorite sauce? Or recipe?

any other pizza pointers would be cool! 

Comments

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    I gave up making sauce since I like Don Pepino sauce. Probably find in local Walmart. It's so good, at least in my opinion. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Depends on the pizza. Sometimes, for a Margherita or similar pizza, I just run a can of Cento Italian plum tomatoes through a food mill. Spoon some on the pie, add a little salt and a drizzle of evoo. Then the mozz and basil of course.

For Chicago deep dish, NY style pizza or really, any generic pie, Kenji at Serious Eats has a great recipe. Best cooked pizza sauce I've found.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza-sauce.html

Store bought canned or jarred sauce? NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    This is one I perfected for our tastes years ago and we love it! It takes a while to make but freezes well. It is also a great dip for bread sticks:

RRP’s PIZZA SAUCE

Based on a recipe from BGE board but altered for our tastes

• 1 oz package of fresh basil

• 3 T dried basil

• 1.5 tea dried oregano

• ¾ cup chardonnay

• ¾ cup fresh minced onion

• 3 tea minced garlic

• 3 T extra virgin olive oil

• 18 Roma tomatoes each cut into 8 pieces

• 1  6oz can of tomato paste

• 2 tea California style garlic salt

• ½ tea freshly ground pepper (about 12 good half grinds PER layer)

IMPORTANT first step: steep the dried basil and dried oregano in the wine for 20 minutes

In a skillet sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until onions turn translucent, stirring frequently.

Using a Dutch oven add tomatoes, paste, onions/garlic and remaining ingredients. I put them in so there are three layers. Cover pot and simmer for 1 hour. Remove form heat and puree in a blender until smooth. Pour back into the Dutch oven minus the lid this time and simmer until the sauce thickens to a consistency of cold catsup.

Package in ½ cup quantities using ZipLoc snack bags. Freeze. Yield will depend on the size of your Romas, but normally this recipe is good for 9 to 12 bags. My pizzas are 12” in diameter so you might want to adjust according to what size you make.

Hint: During the thickening stage cover the pot with a spatter guard as that sauce really pops when it erupts and can make a mess of your stove. BTW this sauce is also good with bread sticks.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    slovelad said:
    make pizzas on the egg for the first time.
    I just noticed this. First time pizza or first time on the egg? Many first time egged pies leave a little to be desired. Or a lot. You might consider doing some in the next day or two to see how they go. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Another vote for Don Pepino. I believe it's made with Jersey tomatoes from the area I live in which is what makes it so good.
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Thanks RRP! I grow fresh basil so it will be great to finally use some of it!
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Another vote for Don Pepino. I believe it's made with Jersey tomatoes from the area I live in which is what makes it so good.
    This is what I use. I do. It have the time to make the sauce or dough from scratch.  Wish I had the time to but just don't. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Dinah_Moe_Humm
    Dinah_Moe_Humm Posts: 111
    edited May 2017
    Simple no cook sauce.  Find a 28oz can of San Marzano D.O.P tomatoes.  In a food processor place one clove garlic, chopped.  1/2 tsp fine sea salt, 1/4 tsp of dried oregano and 1/4 tsp of paper flakes.  Add about one or two tbl of tomato liquid in the food processor also.  Turn the food processor on and emulsify.  Add the rest of the tomatoes to the food processor and pulse until ingredients are blended.  DO NOT over blend ... this releases water from the tomatoes.  Use approx 1/3 cup on a 12" pizza.  San Marzano tomatoes are the key.
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351

I'm lazy and would rather buy something great that is already made, I have tried all the store bought I have found and this is the best of the best in my world. I have added garlic and fresh basil and simmered to marry the flavors or just straight out of the can is good too.

http://www.deifratelli.com/products/category/canned-sauces-purees-and-soup/

I get it at Publix and Harris Teeter

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I usually just take some olive oil and simmer a little fresh garlic, basil and oregano for 10 minutes or so and then strain it through a cheesecloth.  Works great.

I'll occasionally use canned tomatoes, but I find they add too much moisture, so I'd rather just find good tomatoes and slice them onto the pie.
    NOLA
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Best store bought I found is Mids. Good stuff!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,169
    its your friends first time, or yours too?
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    When pressed for time I buy the sauce (and dough in a pinch) from Whole Foods - they make the sauce in the store so it's fresh. When I have time I follow this (admittedly really carried away, this man takes his pizza seriously - and having eaten there when we lived in Atlanta it is wonderful):  http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Whole plums or marzanos in a can....squeeze each one and put in blender or use handheld,  pour into strainer over a bowl so liquid drains and use a 2oz or so ladle full per 12-14" pie.     

Sometimes i add a little fresh basil pre blend, sometimes a little salt.  @RRP recipe above looks like a winner so i might try it for next pizza party...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    i like the san marzanos, grew and canned my own this year with salt, basil, and a little lemon juice. the lemon juice cut some of the sweetness those tomatoes have. dried oregano and red chili flakes go on after the pie is cooked
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    da87 said:
    When I have time I follow this (admittedly really carried away, this man takes his pizza seriously - and having eaten there when we lived in Atlanta it is wonderful):  http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm
    "Carried away"? Ya think? =) That's not a recipe, it's a dissertation! I have tried, repeatedly, to wade through Jeff's tome, but I just can't make it. If I ever make it to Atlanta again, I'll try one of his pies... as long as I don't have to read his "recipe". :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Very true @Carolina Q  :)   I've never actually finished reading the whole thing either - its like working through Homer (and I also never finished the Iliad or the Odyssey) ....   But the sauce part is pretty simple as it is uncooked
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    gamason said:
    Best store bought I found is Mids. Good stuff!
    Agree. That's what I use when using store bought.
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    This is our go to sauce: http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/New-York_style-Pizza-Sauce-My-Recipes

Only modification is to reduce the water - add water last, and add it a bit at a time, until consistency is right.  I never add the full amount called for.  

Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2017
    DOP San Marzanos, 28 ouncer.
    Hand crush, remove basil, and those green fibrous innards.
    Taste, add sugar if necessary in increments, taste, 1/2t-1t
    Salt with fleur de sel, 1/2t-1t, taste
    Add just enough good quality red wine vinegar to bring it all together 1T-2T, tasting as you adjust.
    Add a few roasted and minced garlic cloves.
    And finally for smokey, flavorful heat, finely mince a few Calabrian chiles, dried pepperoncino would work too.

And just a quick simmer for 15 min to meld.  Your sauce cooks on the pie, no need to overdo it here.

I save the basil for the end, not a huge fan of the overpowering Mediterranean oregano, Mexican oregano is a different story.

Putting a basil chiffonade and graded quality parm when you pull is a beautiful thing to take your pie to another level.  The heat brings out the basil oils, and the parm melts as you grate it on, and you stop when it starts to build up.

This sauce goes on any style pie I make, pan, Nea, NYer, even finishing pasta as a sauce is awesome.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Focker said:
    This sauce goes on any style pie I make...
    Chicago Deep Dish? :rofl:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    While waiting for the egg to come to temp and stabilize,  I roast West Texas Aquaponic grown tomatoes, quartered onion and garlic on the egg.  Toast some dried herbs on the comal,  smash some capers then throw everything into the vitamix to blend. Sauce for the pizza tonight and for next days spaghetti.   
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Focker said:
    This sauce goes on any style pie I make...
    Chicago Deep Dish? :rofl:
    Lmao, casseroles are fair game. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    edited June 2017
    If you're going to do some kind of BBQ chicken pizza, I recommend 1:1 or 1:2 BBQ sauce to pizza sauce.  Works well with any Hawaiian style pizza as well.

edit - forgot to say, BBQ sauce on its own is usually too strong and too sweet.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Legume said:
    If you're going to do some kind of BBQ chicken pizza, I recommend 1:1 or 1:2 BBQ sauce to pizza sauce.  Works well with any Hawaiian style pizza as well.

edit - forgot to say, BBQ sauce on its own is usually too strong and too sweet.
    @Legume - I agree.  I like to just do a drizzle of BBQ sauce on top, pizza sauce under. Stole this idea from Mellow Mushroom's funky-Q chicken pizza. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• vthokie98
    vthokie98 Posts: 25
    Can't recommend RRP’s PIZZA SAUCE enough.  I added a few jalapenos to give it some kick but i have made this twice now and it will be a staple in our house!  I make a huge batch and freeze it.  Thanks to Ron for the solid recipe!