Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Butterflied Leg of Lamb

Options
Tonights special at Rouse's supermarket was boneless leg of lamb for $2.99 a pound. Of course it says cook by tomorrow but I ought to be good for another day or two. I will freeze one and marinate the other in that Turkish Yogurt marinade that I posted early last week. I wonder if I need to spread out the butterflied leg or roll and tie it and what temp finished product? Legs of lamb usually cost at least three times that locally so I've never egged it.

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Great deal! I've cooked them both ways. If you cook spread out, you need to cut the meat into muscle groups. Because of the different thicknesses, they will finish at different times. In both cases, I aim for 130. The carryover heat gives a solid medium.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    If you want to do something like a pulled lamb keep it tied and go low and slow. Otherwise separate all the muscles (5 I believe) and grill them to a medium rare. Either way you're good.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's a good deal!

The yogurt marinade may work better if you egg it flat. If you roll it, the marinade that ends up inside the roll doesn't quite get done right. Also, I don't marinate in yogurt for more than 4-6 hrs because I don't enjoy the texture of the meat after longer marination with yogurt. YMMV.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,303
    Options
    caliking said:
    That's a good deal!

The yogurt marinade may work better if you egg it flat. If you roll it, the marinade that ends up inside the roll doesn't quite get done right. Also, I don't marinate in yogurt for more than 4-6 hrs because I don't enjoy the texture of the meat after longer marination with yogurt. YMMV.
    With my crude butchering skills I will probably go with this approach. Now to go buy another onion and tub of Greek yogurt. I will also shoot for 130.
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    @Gulfcoastguy , sounds fabulous!  You could also try a second marinade - our favorite comes from a cookbook my parents gave me years ago (copy write 1986).  "The Grill Book" McCune, Ingalls, Barich.  Butterflied leg of lamb with Zinfandel Sauce.  From the cookbook: "The uneven thickness of the lamb provides for all degrees of doneness"

Marinate overnight in the Zinfandel sauce (can cut in 1/2 for a smaller leg or for portions):
    1 bottle Zinfandel (red)
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1/4 cup rice vinegar (can substitute white if needed)
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 TBS dark sesame oil
    6 garlic cloves, sliced in ovals
    3 tsp chopped fresh rosemary (can sub 1 tsp dried - but fresh is much better)
    Freshly ground pepper to taste

After marinating, reserve 1/2 cup of marinade to use as baste while grilling the lamb. 

To make the sauce:  Pour the remaining marinade into a non-aluminum sauce pan.  Simmer gently and reduce by half or until thickened to your taste - adjust salt and pepper.  Serve over sliced lamb.

"Over medium hot coals on a covered grill, grill lamb 15 to 20 minutes per side.  Allow meat to stand 15 minutes before carving.  Slice 1/4 inch cross grain pieces and serve with the Zinfandel sauce spooned over the slices"  Making me hungry just typing this.  Grilled lamb is simply awesome!  Enjoy your cook.
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Cut into pieces, this is a surprisingly quick cook, so keep an eye on it. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    da87 said:
    @Gulfcoastguy , sounds fabulous!  You could also try a second marinade - our favorite comes from a cookbook my parents gave me years ago (copy write 1986).  "The Grill Book" McCune, Ingalls, Barich.  Butterflied leg of lamb with Zinfandel Sauce.  From the cookbook: "The uneven thickness of the lamb provides for all degrees of doneness"

Marinate overnight in the Zinfandel sauce (can cut in 1/2 for a smaller leg or for portions):
    1 bottle Zinfandel (red)
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1/4 cup rice vinegar (can substitute white if needed)
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 TBS dark sesame oil
    6 garlic cloves, sliced in ovals
    3 tsp chopped fresh rosemary (can sub 1 tsp dried - but fresh is much better)
    Freshly ground pepper to taste

After marinating, reserve 1/2 cup of marinade to use as baste while grilling the lamb. 

To make the sauce:  Pour the remaining marinade into a non-aluminum sauce pan.  Simmer gently and reduce by half or until thickened to your taste - adjust salt and pepper.  Serve over sliced lamb.

"Over medium hot coals on a covered grill, grill lamb 15 to 20 minutes per side.  Allow meat to stand 15 minutes before carving.  Slice 1/4 inch cross grain pieces and serve with the Zinfandel sauce spooned over the slices"  Making me hungry just typing this.  Grilled lamb is simply awesome!  Enjoy your cook.
    Well I have two legs and I also have a huge rosemary bush? Sounds great for the second one. Thanks!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Leg number one underway.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    First flip had to rotate the thicker part toward the hinge.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    The ithick end is a perfect 130.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    My favorite lamb recipe on the Egg I hardly ever make because my wife hates lamb and a whole leg of lamb is a lot for just one guy to eat.  But it's marinating a boneless leg in red wine, herbs, veggies for at least overnight, and then using skewers to keep it flat and grilling it a lot like a tri-tip, a really thick steak.  I haven't made this since I've been doing reverse sear, but that's what I'd do now.  Really, really good.

Your last picture, there, looks spectacular!  Looks like pretty much the same idea.  Looks fantastic!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Thanks, I will try the second one with a different marinade at another time. I used the same yogurt/garlic etc marinade with turkey a week and a half ago.