Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This is what I call a MISS!!

Options
Tender, tasty, but dry. Irritating. 
Cooked at 250 from 11:15pm last night to 4:30 pm today. 

Huntsville, Al LBGE

Comments

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I have yet to try this cook, but it sure doesnt look like a 'miss" to me.  I would dig in with both forks!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    I have yet to try this cook, but it sure doesnt look like a 'miss" to me.  I would dig in with both forks!

Thanks. It takes practice to get it right. I don't have the time to practice much. But it did taste great. 
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
     Certainly looks more than edible to me as well. Was the point also dry, or just the flat. Any ideas as far as what you would different next time? I'm no expert, but if you detail what you did in sure others on here can offer sound advice.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
     Certainly looks more than edible to me as well. Was the point also dry, or just the flat. Any ideas as far as what you would different next time? I'm no expert, but if you detail what you did in sure others on here can offer sound advice.
    No sir. Just the flat. Point was fine. I'm thinking the Walmart brisket was a sub-par cut of meat. 
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    No sir. Just the flat. Point was fine. I'm thinking the Walmart brisket was a sub-par cut of meat. 
    Bingo! The protein is what it is. You can ruin a good cut, but it's hard to make a overly lean brisket moist like a high choice or prime one. I think the meteorite looks like it was cooked well. Need to boil them bad ones.   
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    That's what I thought!
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Did you foil at some point? 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    I did. Trying to get it out of the stall. 
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    And perfect for chili.  No such thing as a lost brisket.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    I did. Trying to get it out of the stall. 
    Okay. So, at what point did you pull? Chances are you could have pulled at butta stage, but wrapped back, FTC, and carried it over more, and over cooked. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    I foiled it at 175. Took it to 203. Left it in foil and wrapped in a towel. 
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I foiled it at 175. Took it to 203. Left it in foil and wrapped in a towel. 
    So, I'd guess you carried over another 10° or so on the rest, making it over cooked and a little dry. 

I'm like others, I've eaten dry brisket with a smile, no problemo.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    I've only done one brisket, but I came to the conclusion that my mistake (it wasn't so much that it dried out, but it sort of crumbled when I cut and couldn't get good slices) was that I didn't wait the 20-30 minutes before putting in foil for the FTC and it overcooked. Of course it was still the best one I had ever done (-: My next one will be better and I'm sure you'll nail it, too.
    Stillwater, MN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    As above, looks great and nothing you can't enjoy.
    Sounds like @tarheelmatt has the root cause sorted out.  The cooling rack rest once you declare victory is needed to stop the continuing cook.  Lesson learned for the next one.  Back on the horse and above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It looks good to me.  As mentioned earlier it will make great chili. I also like to make chopped brisket sammiches with the leftover. Chop up some of the point and some of the better parts of the flat. Mix it together until you have a good fat to lean ratio. It will surprise you how good it is on a sammich with a little Stubbs. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options

Try it the Travis Way    Search for Brisket how I do it By Travis Trick  --Easiest way to get it done consistently for people like me who do not do Brisket often. 
    I recently coked one and did not get it pulled until 213F and still moist.  Also I put foil over the pan and brisket at the stall.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • charliebatutis
    Options
    If there's any left over put some on top of cheese fries and dig in!
  • fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    Just to add to this discussion, I smoked an 11 pound brisket this past weekend, and I'm glad I saw the recommendation to vent for awhile after it was finished BEFORE foiling and holding.  I had to hold my brisket in a cooler for 9 hours before eating and it still came out fantastic and not really dry.
    War Damn Eagle!
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    fishepa said:
    Just to add to this discussion, I smoked an 11 pound brisket this past weekend, and I'm glad I saw the recommendation to vent for awhile after it was finished BEFORE foiling and holding.  I had to hold my brisket in a cooler for 9 hours before eating and it still came out fantastic and not really dry.
    I thought I had read all I could read. Can't believe I missed that part. However. I will say I've had 4 brisket open faced sandwiches this week. And they've been freakin awesome. Now I'm thinking I'll freeze the rest for chili next winter. Or I was thinking brisket spaghetti. Of some sort. 
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options

If there's any left over put some on top of cheese fries and dig in!
    I actually did this but with nachos. Fabulous. 
    Huntsville, Al LBGE