Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Beef Ribs

Options
jfine1
jfine1 Posts: 87
edited May 2017 in Beef
Made some big beef ribs this weekend on the egg - these were the best ones I've made yet so wanted to post the recipe and some pics !

I used four bone plate ribs - five racks in total. These full plates are what short ribs are usually cut from - so you'll likely need to order them in advance from your butcher so they can be cut to order. Make sure they keep a good inch of meat behind each rib bone so they are suitably meaty !

I rubbed them overnight with some of my favorite spice rubs. Two got Meatchurch Holy Cow, two got Meatchurch Deez Nuts and one got Hardcore Carnivore rub. To help the rub adhere I moistened the meat side with a little olive oil first. They all went into a V rack and uncovered into the fridge

I fired up the egg with a 3/4 deep bowl of Fogo hardwood charcoal and once burning strongly I popped on the plate setter legs up, and the grate to warm up. Once a steady 225, I removed the grate and plate setter and threw on about 10 small sized pre soaked post oak wood chunks. Back on with the plate setter, an empty drip tray and the grate - all ready for the racks of ribs in their V rack

They got a good smoking at 225 for 5 hours, then I wrapped the racks in foil, each pouch with a dousing of sweet black coffee in the bottom to create some steam until they came up to final temperature. I was looking for 198-200 so probed regularly (note that the ribs to the edge of the rack got done a little quicker given they were exposed to more direct heat at the edge of the plate setter). This took between another 1 and 3 hours - then I wrapped them in butcher paper, then in a towel and in the cooler to hold until serving.

Sliced them up and served them with a roasted tomato spicy harissa. Will definitely make these again!

Struggling to upload photos here so you can find them on my Instagram account @thejonnyfine

Comments