Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon

Options
all right boys and girls I have just put a five pound porkbelly into a curing mixture hoping it comes out well will smoke Friday night any advice?

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Once you pull it from the cure, soak it in water for a while and the test fry a piece. Depending on that, soak further to cut saltiness, if necessary.
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    @Eggcelsior
    That's a great idea.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • littlemb8899
    Options
    thank you never thought about that Eggcelsior
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Is that long enough for cure?  I've usually gone 7-8 days.
  • CarolinaCrazy
    CarolinaCrazy Posts: 585
    Options
    If you have the time, let it air cure in the fridge for a few days, at least overnight. That let's more of the moisture evaporate before you start smoking, and, IMO, leads to a smokier flavor. 
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    Did five days last week. Found it to be just right.
    Pratt, KS
  • littlemb8899
    Options
    Legume this is my first go round on bacon but everything I read said five or six so it went in an Saturday and ill pull on Friday after reading the comments I may pull Thursday to let it dry some and smoke Friday but like I said its my first try 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Once you pull it from the cure, soak it in water for a while and the test fry a piece. Depending on that, soak further to cut saltiness, if necessary.
    +1 on testing salt levels before smoking

On the cure time, I would be tempted to cut it in half (the same direction you slice) when you pull it (before you dump the cure) and see if it has cured through.  Is should be pink to the core with firm fat.  If not, I'd reseal it and give it more time.  Not knowing how thick the belly is, it is tough to guess the right amount of time from the peanut gallery.

Also, if you cold smoke (with an AMazeN smoker, or something), the bacon will benefit from a dry hang in a curing chamber (50 - 60F, 70-80%RH).

The best part of making your own bacon (apart from how good it is), is that you get to pick how to smoke it, spice it and slice it.

Last, if you have a vacuum sealer, I have had great luck slicing onto parchment paper, and then sliding a row (overlapped like in packaged bacon) into a vac bag for clean sealing --- then into the freezer.

Best of luck
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX