Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt, Danger Zone? Lost fire!

Options
So I'm fairly new to the egg life and placed a 5lb butt on the egg last night around 11pm. Left it at midnight , fire was holding steady.  Temp was 250/ 70 degrees internal.   Checked it at 3am and the egg was 110 dome temp and 90 degrees internal.   Been reading about the danger zone but not sure if I should toss it or carry on?  Thoughts? 

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Fire it back up and keep cooking. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• biggreenrookie
    Options
    That's the plan right now.   I don't think the internal temp got about 120 degrees.   Famous last words right?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Fire it back up and keep cooking. 
    I would too.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The butt was only in the danger zone for maybe 10 minutes. It takes the Egg about 90 minutes from the time the fire goes out to drop to 120. Also, the surface of the meat was sterilized long before.

If the butt was cut into somehow, there's a small chance it might be contaminated, tho' the pathogens and poisons will be destroyed once the meat gets to pulling temperature
  • biggreenrookie
    Options
    Appreciate the help!  Hope you all enjoy this Memorial Day! 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Yes like the other said get that fire going and finish it your fine. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer