Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggmates - 3 slat composite or 2 slat wood?

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
I'm not in the market for a table or fancy stand for my large BGE but am looking into getting a pair of egg mates. Between the two, what have you guys found to be the better models - 3 slat composite or 2 slat wooden ones?

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • chuckytheegghead
    chuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    Options
    I personally prefer the wood shelves. Just wipe them down after using, and when they get too dirty just sand them down and stain whatever colour you like. 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I have the one piece composites on mine but I don't think they make them any longer. I had wood but prefer composite. Didn't mean to post this pic but I accidentally clicked on it and couldn't figure out how to delete. She's a neighbor'so kid. She's doll.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited May 2017
    Options
    This is what I meant to post. Lots of composites.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have the 2 wood slats, but a composite handle on my 3 year old XL.  I like the wood in that I don't work about putting got things on it.  I need to clean mine and retain them some day or just build a table.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • ronw9471
    ronw9471 Posts: 112
    Options
    Aesthetically, I prefer the wood, but I got the new 3 slat composite for practicality. Pretty much impervious to spills and don't need any kind of preservative oils. Not sure how they would tolerate anything real hot though.
    Parrish, FL

My Photo Website: www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

XL Big Green Egg
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I liked the wood cutting board "hack" seen in pics in another thread. I have the cedar 3-slat mates that I will make my own when it they break.  Don't really care about spills/cleanliness as I do not put my food on them.  I will just wipe it off as necessary.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Another factor not mentioned is the size of the 3 slat vs the wood ones. The 3 slat are much roomier. If that's an issue. 
  • Dinah_Moe_Humm
    Options
    I bought the 2 wood slot mates.  Took'm apart sanded and applied 4 coats of polyurethane.  So far they've cleaned up well, so no complaints.  I think they appear better on the egg than the composite.  
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I like the look of the wood ones, but they'll stain and weather faster than the composites.  If you're not going to use a cover, then the composites might be a better choice.  Pro and cons to both.  In the end, you can always unscrew the tops and replace with something else.  I removed my old cedar ones and replaced with a couple pieces of leftover TigerDeck to match my deck.
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Another factor not mentioned is the size of the 3 slat vs the wood ones. The 3 slat are much roomier. If that's an issue. 
    Roomier is just what I'm looking for. Right now I'm using a patio chair or two to hold my untensils and thermometers while cooking and it just looks butt ugly. It'd be nice to have a holder level with grill especially when pulling out big butts and briskets.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I made a grille cart that I can roll up next to my BGE, or roll my BGE next to it. It's more flexible than eggmates and has more capacity. 

Michiana, South of the border.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I've got the old 4-slat mates that were in horrible shape.  I recently picked up some wide oak planks, think stair treads, to replace with.  My idea was that since each new plank will have 4 attachments instead of 2, there will be less twisting / racking of the shelves.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Anybody ever have the old FRONT mate?  It was a composite crescent shaped table that would flip up.  Goofy looking thing, and you couldn't reach the back of the Egg unless you were really tall or had long arms.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Anybody ever have the old FRONT mate?  It was a composite crescent shaped table that would flip up.  Goofy looking thing, and you couldn't reach the back of the Egg unless you were really tall or had long arms.

I'd kinda like to find one of those!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• pgprescott
    Options
    Yeah, nice idea, but it was really awkward to work around. We had one. Can't remember who got it. I was a big fan of the old composite mates though. Got em on a burn unit. Prolly should swap them out since you can't even buy them anymore.