Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

National Brisket Day (+/-) (May 28) landing thread for that meteorite you created-

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac -  Go  with the feel in the thickest part of the flat.  The point is just along for the ride, although it does give you a good idea of what to look for in the flat.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker what exactly is the dishwasher? I assume your stick burner? Lol
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    TFJ said no to the egg. She won't eat bbq unless it's done in the dishwasher anymore. She's spoiled. So...I'm out tending a fire in the 105 degree heat index. When mama's happy... 
    I get it.  Enjoy.

I'm glad she did. I was being a wuss. It's looking freaking awesome and the whole neighborhood smells like oak and brisket. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    Options
    slovelad said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker what exactly is the dishwasher? I assume your stick burner? Lol
    It's not a stick burner so much as a clean combustion work of art.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    slovelad said:
    KBQ C-60SS BBQ Smoker Pit
  • GreenEggs_n_HamRadio
    Options
    This is my first brisket ever - on the Egg or any other cooker, but reading all the great posts you have all made here, I found the courage to give it a try.

9.71 pounder from Sam's Club, 8.5 after trimming up.  Went on 225 degree Egg at 10:15pm last night, and just passed the 14 hour mark at 180 degrees internal.   Hoping it's all going as it should...

Learning something new every day in Western Kentucky! CQ CQ CQ

Large BGE with CGS PSwoo, CGS Spider, Kick Ash basket, Smokeware SS Cap and Flame Boss 300-WiFi Controller   |   Blackstone 17" Griddle
  • Joshnkeri
    Joshnkeri Posts: 12
    Options
    Sitting on the patio waiting for the large to settle in. Hands were messy so didn't take a pic before putting back in the fridge with the rub. Will take one when she's on. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    So far so good. Creeping out of the stall

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Just pulled. I want to do burnt end. How long should I let it sit before separating?

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Just pulled. I want to do burnt end. How long should I let it sit before separating?

Looks perfect. Eagerly waiting for burnt end advice as well.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited May 2017
    Options

Depends if your planning on eating them with the rest of the brisket. If so, let it cool for 20 min and separate and FTC the flat. Season the bottom side of the point again.  Put the WHOLE point back in the cooker for 2 hours unwrapped and 1 hour wrapped with butter. Rest for 20-30 and then cube. If you want put sauce on the side for dipping. 

The goal for burnt ends is to replicate the edges of a brisket that have the most bark. So your trying to put more bark on the meat. 

Edit* I think they're better when you let the whole brisket FTC or whatever you do. Separate the point when your serving the flat. Then put the point back on and serve it at a later time. IMO this ensures a really good flat if cooked right. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    The beast is in the dishwasher for a little smoke wash. 16lb SRF. I actually had to smoosh it in a little. This thing is huge

I'll be doing my first brisket ever and I'll be doing it in my KBQ in the next week or two.

I'm curious - why did you place your brisket so low in the chamber?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    The beast is in the dishwasher for a little smoke wash. 16lb SRF. I actually had to smoosh it in a little. This thing is huge

I'll be doing my first brisket ever and I'll be doing it in my KBQ in the next week or two.

It's cooler down there. Easier on the bark
  • HeavyG
    Options
    slovelad said:
    There are a few of us (4? 5?) here that have KBQ's.

The AmazingRibs site has a brief review if you're curious - https://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/smoker/karubecue-c-60-pit
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    185 degrees as well.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    My contribution to Brisket day. Went on last night around midnight. Pulled @ 201 even though it probed like butter @ 198. Right now FTC for a couple of hours.

• sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker @HeavyG @Focker and @GMBBS @ Kingtute80 I did my first prime in the Dishwasher aka "The Dragon yesterday, sorry no plated pics it went fast!! Sorry if they are out of order!! It was the best one I done to date!
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    sancho65 said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker @HeavyG @Focker I did my first prime in the Dishwasher aka "The Dragon yesterday, sorry no plated pics it went fast!! Sorry if they are out of order!! It was the best one I done to date!
    Great color! Looks great
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Just wrapped her up. 200 in the skinny flat,175 in the fat part. Bark set up just perfect. Already jiggly and has some time to go. Just moved to a 200 degree egg to finish up

• HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:

It's cooler down there. Easier on the bark
    Interesting. According to Bill (KBQ inventor) the air in the bottom of the cook chamber is the hottest because that is where most of the air from the vent "pipe" at the back of the cookbox is drawn into the chamber.

I've never bothered to measure the temps myself but I think I'll fire up my KBQ in the next couple days and use all my Fireboard probes and graph the temps at a few locations in the cook chamber.

Have always been a bit curious just how much the temps might vary given the convection fan of the KBQ runs full time to swirl the air around.

• lousubcap
    Options
    Had a bit of a wind challenge toward the AM but sorted it out-
    Just before declaring victory:

Wrapped and packed in the elcheapo Igloo cooler for around 5 hours, then my son grabbed this shot as the natives were definitely hungry:

Thought he had a better picture angle but it was inhaled.  Homage paid to the Brisket Gods on National Brisket Day.  Onward and Upward.
    Enjoy your cooks and follow-on eats.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    slovelad said:
    KBQ C-60SS BBQ Smoker Pit
    What in Tarnation...
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Congratulations to all on the amazing briskets!  You all killed it and I'm having brisket withdrawal from the posts!  Pulled out the last brisket leftover from the freezer and hoping its thawed enough for burnt ends and brisket taco tomorrow! 
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Started a 12 # choice brisket at 5:15 this morning for company at 5:00 PM and did it the Travis method.  I checked it at about 11:00 and it was already up to 212F and soft as buttah.  This is the first time one has not taken about 9-11 hours for me this way.    Was scared it may not be as good as usual but it seems better than usual.   Rub was pepper and dizzy pig.   Ran EXL Egg at 300F.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

@WhiteyQ brought some moink balls!   They were amazing.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina - you should apply for a variance with the Brisket Gods since you are about to enjoy some true brisket on a stick.  Some great lookin' plate ribs right there.  Great score. Enjoy.  

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Friends, permit me to offer up my beef ribs:

You have been on a freaking tear lately. Butt Blast, SRF Gold Briskets. Pot de Creme. And now this. Slow your roll, son. Leave some air for the rest of us, 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I just heard alarms. Time to grab a beer and go poke the bear.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN