Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Lit said:
    SkinnyV said:
    Leaving fire box  door cracked, temp is running 275-300 and I'm not running water.... my fault being stubborn temp would be lower if I did.

but I'm keeping the smoke nice and light blue for now so we will see. I've seen @Lit say it has been done and he's had great results.

I picked up a good chunk of wood today from a local source so worth a try at least.

How did they come out? 275-300 with no water is hard to do running straight wood. 
    Turned into turbo Ribs. Without the water it shot closer to 325, I added water for the first time ever and it held 270 but by then cook was mostly done. now I will use water because cleanup was not so bad. The ribs were good and not chewy at all so for turbo ribs not bad.
    it was a good lesson on fire and fire management, next time I'd like to keep it lower longer so I can get more of a smoke ring. That means water, is that how you do it? 
    Seattle, WA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Suffering the wrath of my kids.  Gave in and took them to Petsmart to check out the adoption dogs.

They all wanted a little chiweenie puppy.  I had to say no.  They are all giving me the silent treatment.
    If you haven't adopted before it's kinda funny. I had less scrutiny getting a passport. Good grief. Took a week!
    We've adopted 4 times.  Three of the four have passed on, and you are correct.  These folks are serious.  Our neighbor tried to adopt w greyhounds.  A bus showed up and an explorer.  Interview was hours!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

Dinner, fire, and wine.  Combination for the ages.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Ozzie_Isaac said:
    Our neighbor tried to adopt w greyhounds.  A bus showed up and an explorer.  Interview was hours!
    "Uh, that's not the greyhound I wanted..."   =)

Good friends of mine adopted a greyhound that had been retired from racing.  The first time they took him out into the fenced backyard, he took off a top speed along the fence to the right... and ran into the side fence!  The only time the poor thing was "loose" was on a racetrack.  Couldn't negotiate a staircase.  Was pretty "aloof" in personality, but after a couple months "Jester" became more like a real dog, and I took a special fondness for him.
    I will never attend a dog race, that's for sure.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Soon to be ex just dropped a bomb.  She prefers ribs boiled and grilled.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

well, you had a good run.

Phoenix 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Home after two awesome days of making memories!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited May 2017
    Options
    blasting said:

I thought so.  To make matters worse she told me in the super market.

I yanked the ribs out of the cart and said (apparently loudly), "You like ribs fvcking boiled and grilled, I'm putting them back".

A friend she had just met was walking over to say hi.  She aborted and raced away.  She is now avoiding us at every isle.  My wife is getting angrier and angrier at me.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac my guess is @kl8ton wife still speaks to him. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited May 2017
    Options
    My wife is talking to me.  Just nothing fit for polite audiences.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    da87 said:
    Thanks @pgprescott! It was a long, time consuming, and unexpectedly expensive process...  but Lots of progress in the back in a year - SWMBO and I  very happy here!  (And proud of how all the work turned out) Last spring:
    late summer last year:

Finally there (garden was last step):

Love the hardscape. I did mine about 10 years ago.....When I was much younger. I recall my step stones being 90 lbs each. If you did this yourself....You had quite a workout. Enjoy it....It beautiful.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    The rental rehab is DONE!!!  Made the 3.5 hr trip this morning, finished and made it home. Time for some beer and some Allman Brothers. 
    Congrats......I know that has to be a great feeling.....Second only to the closing day.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Closing will be epic! 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    The neighbors just asked me to turn down my music. (I'm on the deck listening to Gregg allman.) and a little drunk. The police may be coming. Wife and kid are still in myrtle...
    It is justifiable tunage. Explain to the Po Po. They should understand. Ha.....It's not like you are driving.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Exercising more moderation than normal for a Sat evening as I have a fire in the hole and will load the NBD brisket in around 90 minutes.  That's what I get for the family requesting an early afternoon NBD banquet. No brown water tonight.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    The neighbors just asked me to turn down my music. (I'm on the deck listening to Gregg allman.) and a little drunk. The police may be coming. Wife and kid are still in myrtle...
    It is justifiable tunage. Explain to the Po Po. They should understand. Ha.....It's not like you are driving.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Yes she is.  . . While a puppy sleeps on her lap. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @da87 that is a great spot you've got! Great work

@jeremiah when the police show up show them pictures and offer a beer. We'll vouch for you. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • InfectedDAS
    InfectedDAS Posts: 211
    Options
    Ribeye wrapped in marrow:

Jalapenos wrapped in bacon:

Cedar plank salmon:

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Holy sheet infecteddas that is a great spread. Never seen or heard of wrapping a ribeye in the marrow. How was it. Worth it?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• InfectedDAS
    InfectedDAS Posts: 211
    Options
    @saluki2007 Totally worth it!!
    It was cooked direct @400F, the meat had a coffee rub and the marrow had garlic, rosemary and Cortez sea salt.

After slicing it you take out the marrow from the bone using a spoon, careful it is hot!

First time I try it was using aguja norteña:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1201511/aguja-nortena-short-rib-wrapped-in-marrow#latest

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    blasting said:

I thought so.  To make matters worse she told me in the super market.

I yanked the ribs out of the cart and said (apparently loudly), "You like ribs fvcking boiled and grilled, I'm putting them back".

A friend she had just met was walking over to say hi.  She aborted and raced away.  She is now avoiding us at every isle.  My wife is getting angrier and angrier at me.
    Just buy 2 racks and let her cook her own.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    One o'clock in the farkin' morning showing my grown son how to fillet a fish. Geez.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    One o'clock in the farkin' morning showing my grown son how to fillet a fish. Geez.
    Never to late to learn....well, 1am might be a bit late.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Never to late to learn....well, 1am might be a bit late.
    At least I get to eat them. I'll introduce him to YouTube in the morning and show him a good fillet knife to order. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Re-bodged the blower on the bouncy slide and got it inflated. Half term this week and nice weather, so it's worth dragging it out of the shed.