Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Thinking about buying a German car

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @Jeremiah - PM sent.  Thanks for asking.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I have driven (and still do) German steel for 43+ years; and only two cars cover that span. Can't comment on todays as my current drive is 2001 (replaced a 1970 in 2003) both second-hand purchases. And both full-up manual transmission. (I have purchased slush-box cars for SWMBO-Japanese).
    I like to drive cars and feel like I'm in a car-not like I'm sitting on a couch guiding myself around.   Yes you can pay for some maintenance but at least as of a while ago the engine and drive-train were near bullet-proof.  

Amen to that! Manuals are way more fun. They are getting harder and harder to find in vehicles though. I don't even know if you can find them in a Ford or Chevy truck anymore. I think Dodge might still have the option. My Ford Ranger is the most boring vanilla truck in the world but somewhat enjoyable with a manual. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    ^^^I hear ya, @WeberWho; my four vehicles are all manuals, but they're probably the last ones ('cept for the bikes).   :s

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Dinah_Moe_Humm
    Options
    My Mini is a manual.  Last week I waited 40 minutes for a valet because there was only on person who "knew" how to drive a manual and he was on lunch !
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    German manual here too. Nichole drives a Mercedes. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Love my little 3 series, it's had things go wrong but nothing out of the ordinary. Runs great and approaching the 80k mark. I say do it, Germans can build a mean machine.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    edited May 2017
    Options
    SWMBO has a jetta. It's a POS. Seems to be a love/hate relationship when it comes  to VW. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,946
    Options
    This should be entertaining.
    I may have miscalculated.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options
    Not everyone keeps up.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• bgebrent
    Options
    By a country mile.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Not everyone keeps up.

Some of us are. We're just choosing to ignore the political bait.  =)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    This came to mind. 
    Vw vortex forum 

They care about ride height like we care about air gaps. 
    We can relate to this. 
    https://youtu.be/sQkCe2--ym0

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Dinah_Moe_Humm
    Options
    .... I just couldn't come up with a way to tie it in.  And anyway, I'm numb, warn down to it all.  Just wake me up when it's over.
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    .... I just couldn't come up with a way to tie it in.  And anyway, I'm numb, warn down to it all.  Just wake me up when it's over.
    Every day has been pretty close to bonkers.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Jeremiah said:
    Not everyone keeps up.

Who said anything about politics?  This is clearly just about a love for German engineering.

Love my manual V8 S5 by the way.
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Also my brothers diesel Jetta made it to 275k miles before he finally gave in and sold it.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• bgebrent
    Options
    Every day has been pretty close to bonkers.
    It all started with chocolate pots de creme...  Sayin.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    My Mini is a manual.  Last week I waited 40 minutes for a valet because there was only on person who "knew" how to drive a manual and he was on lunch !
    I hear that.  I taught my "then GF and now my wife" to drive a manual on a '79 jeep CJ5.  She is kind of ahhh Short, and the seat would only adjust a few inches.  She had to scrunch down in the seat to depress the clutch.  Once she was aware that the steering and brakes worked the same she was good to go.  Her favorite car we have ever owned was a Mazda 323 manual. That was 20+ years ago. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • bgebrent
    Options
    I vividly remember my Dad teaching me to drive a stick.  It was a 1970 Toyota Land Cruiser that we still have today.  H on the column.  It can still climb trees.  My current ride with 6 on the floor is called a Barbie car by my kids.  A to B I guess.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options

Jeremiah said:
    Not everyone keeps up.

Who said anything about politics?  This is clearly just about a love for German engineering.

Love my manual V8 S5 by the way.
    I noticed that at butt blast. Neat car. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options

I always enjoy a good Doug video
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    WeberWho said:

He's great.  
  • bgebrent
    Options
    WeberWho said:

He's great.  
    I'd run him for pinks ;)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would love to hear any suggestions on teaching someone to drive a stick. I am trying to teach my 15 year old son. He can drive really well in an automatic, but he just can't find the groove in a manual. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    Maybe only the bad liberal media covers the bad bad news. 

Is liberal too many syllables? 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    About 5 years ago I decided to get rid of my good old 1990 Nissan Pathfinder SE (5speed).

I didn't want to hassle with fixing it up and trying to sell it so I decided to just sell it off to one of those web "junk your car" outfits.

The day they came to pick it up I had backed it up the driveway a bit to move it away from my other cars as I thought the tow truck guy would just back up and load it from my driveway.

When he arrived we dealt with the paperwork and then he said he wanted it on the street to load so I tossed him the keys. He climbed inside and was in there about thirty seconds and then he climbed back out.

He had a slightly embarrassed look on his face as he said "I don't know how to drive a stick. Would you mind backing it out?"

After a couple seconds of shock on my part I told him "Sure".

Started it. Backed it out onto the street. Made sure it was where he wanted it and could hook it up. He thanked me and started to load it up. I thought I should probably hang around until he actually got it on his truck and was ready to go just in case I had to move it again.

The tow driver was a young guy that appeared to be in his early twenties and I know that driving a manual tranny is becoming a less commonly learned skill in the US but certainly a tow truck driver should know how to do that.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    WeberWho said:

He's great.  
    I'd run him for pinks ;)
    Find the parking lot of an abandoned big box store, pop the medication of your choice, and try not to grit your teeth at the sound of grinding gears.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    My bad. I guess I used the wrong bait. Probably should have thrown in some chum. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk