Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Anybody Have A Greenhouse They Can Recommend?

Dredger
Dredger Posts: 1,468
We've been playing around with the idea of getting a greenhouse. We're in Zone 7 and looking to grow year round. Our winters (such as they are) are very mild. Have just started scratching the surface on research. Thought someone here may have one they like and could recommend.
Large BGE
Greenville, SC

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Nice! I have no advice but I'm interested to hear the answers you get. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Dredger
    Me too @SciAggie. Plan, so far, is to have it installed before the fall growing season comes around.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Probably terrible advise but I was debating the harbor freight green house. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Dredger
    Probably terrible advise but I was debating the harbor freight green house.
    What do you like about that one @Jeremiah? We'll be growing some heirloom tomatoes and they get pretty tall, so we'll need at least 9 feet of clearance in the middle if possible. Do you have a link to the one you have been looking at? 
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Dredger
    That is a great price! We're looking for something a little larger though. Probably an 8 X 16 or a 10 X 16.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    We have a number of 100 Ft houses. They are the type that are made from bent conduit and covered with two layers of poly that are air inflated for insulation.
    We use these in a commercial retail grower operation.
    These type of houses are cost effective for the growing area they provide and are adaptable to small houses also.

I've been looking at installing a small house to put citrus in at my home. One of the smaller prefab houses would probably blend into a residential setting better than the poly covered commercial houses.
  • Dredger
    Thanks @GregW. I'm sure the commercial ones are top notch, but our neighbors would probably not be very happy with us, lol. We are trying to narrow down a prefab house that would blend in.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Talk about timing!
    My next-door neighbor is tearing down his greenhouse right now.  It was a Harbor Freight, and the plastic panels yellowed badly and started cracking after two years in the sun.  Granted, I live at 4,600 ft and the sun does a lot more damage than it would in SC, but there it is FWIW.  
    It was at least 9' tall in the center.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• GatoGordo
    GatoGordo Posts: 80
    We are on our second Harbor Freight 10'x12' greenhouse. Our first one lasted about 10 years before it was destroyed by a wind that also ripped my neighbor's aluminum patio cover off his house.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-12-ft-greenhouse-with-4-vents-93358.html

After it blew down, we looked to replace it with something else, but every one we saw, no matter the price, mentioned that they have problems in the wind. We decided to stick with the Harbor Freight and bought another one. This time, however, we added lots of bracing before adding the panels. Most of the bracing is mentioned in this article:

http://hfgh10x12.blogspot.com/2007/08/this-is-greenhouse-we-bought-link-it.html

If you are not going to add bracing, do not buy this greenhouse; it simply will not last.

It has already been through some strong winds and has held up without a problem. The size seems perfect for us.

I don't remember what we paid for it, but waiting for it to go on sale and using the 20% off coupon, I think we paid in the mid to high $400.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • Dredger
    Good to know @Botch. We want something that will last. @GatoGordon, thanks for the links. I'll go through that Blogspot post next week when I have more time. Appreciate the input from everyone. Keep 'em coming.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Somehow I got on Growers Supply's mailing list, and they offer some great houses from DIY to kit. I imagine you'd need a lot of cooling capacity down there, unless you were planning to bake bread in it.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Here's a link to Growers Supply
    http://www.growerssupply.com/farm/supplies/cat1a;gs_hobby_greenhouses.html

We have bought a lot of things from them over the years.
  • Dredger
    I imagine you'd need a lot of cooling capacity down there, unless you were planning to bake bread in it.

@Kayak, we'll still be doing our summertime growing outside, lol. It gets pretty toasty down here, but that also means that we can get two growing seasons in before our "winter" sets in. We can replant around the end of August for the second garden. The greenhouse will enable us to produce veggies into December and January.

We'll check out the ones from Growers Supply. Thanks for the link @GregW.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Don't get the one from, " The Hand that Rocks the Cradle"!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Dredger
    Don't get the one from, " The Hand that Rocks the Cradle"!

No worries @thetrim. I'm too much of a clutz to have a glass greenhouse. Interesting movie, though. And creepy.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC