Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salt Block Mediterranean Steak on a Stick

Options
bgebrent
bgebrent Posts: 19,636
Saw this technique on FN, a chef Rakka in TN.  Quick marinated prime beef tenderloin quick cooked on a Himalayan salt block.  Tomatoes and onion on the block as well.  Fingerlings with olive oil, S & P.  The steak and vegetables are dressed with a vinaigrette with pepper, garlic, parsley, lemon juice and olive oil.  This did not disappoint.  Cheers.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga

Comments

• Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Looks great! I have been wanting to get a salt block for a while, but I have been concerned about the level of salt imparted into the protein or whatever it is that you are cooking. 

This cook has me wanting to get it sooner than later!

Brandon - Ohio

• g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Brent does it again. Makes it look easy. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Beautiful right there....just beautiful. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Possumtrot
    Possumtrot Posts: 245
    Options
    We've eaten there, small place but very good.
    Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating

• JDoubleH
    JDoubleH Posts: 112
    Options
    Good Lord Brent. That looks awesome! I need a salt block. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Looks great! I have been wanting to get a salt block for a while, but I have been concerned about the level of salt imparted into the protein or whatever it is that you are cooking. 

This cook has me wanting to get it sooner than later!
    It's a good tool for thicker proteins.  Pork chops, steaks.  Not so good with shrimp or scallops where too much salt is imparted.  I'm still on the learning curve.  This was a winner.  Thanks.
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Great cook and I'm curious what you used to raise your grid, that looks like a cheap and easy solution I'm looking for.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I've learned to look at your cooks after I have eaten dinner. Looks great as always. 
    Snellville, GA

• bgebrent
    Options
    Great cook and I'm curious what you used to raise your grid, that looks like a cheap and easy solution I'm looking for.
    Cheap landscape bricks from HD.  They work in the L but not the XL due to different circumferences.  
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Well shut the front door Brent!!!!!!!!! :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Great looking meal...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I just looked at my wife and said "every time you think you've got something figured out...you see something like this and realize you still have a lifetime of learning"

Great cook!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    I just so happen to have the large. Thanks @bgebrent
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• bgebrent
    Options
    I just looked at my wife and said "every time you think you've got something figured out...you see something like this and realize you still have a lifetime of learning"

Great cook!
    The learning curve is where the fun is.  If any of us had it all figured out it would be another damned chemistry lab. ;).  Thank you.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    I just so happen to have the large. Thanks @bgebrent
    Yessir.  Minimalist here.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Another professional cook!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Great presentation! Yum
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Very nice.  

Although I'm a little disappointed that we didn't get the obligatory pic of you standing over the grill to make it look like you actually did the cooking.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Brent, could you please just cook something BAD so we know you are not the superhuman you portray yourself to be with these fabulous meals! ;)
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• bgebrent
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Another professional cook!
    Thank you 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Brent, could you please just cook something BAD so we know you are not the superhuman you portray yourself to be with these fabulous meals! ;)
    Rick, those are all the days I don't post a cook ;)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You do realize his wife does all the cooking? He's just a glory hound taking all the credit.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    You do realize his wife does all the cooking? He's just a glory hound taking all the credit.
    We'll just call Brent "Big Eyes" from now on.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    The more moist the food is, the more salt it will pick up.  I have to totally dry my calve's liver with paper towels and then rest in the fridge for a couple of hours to dry it out or it will be too salty.  Also, with a "seasoned block" you don't pick up a lot of salt.
    Awesome looking cook, Brent!
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs