Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoming First SRF Brisket

Options
Ladeback69
Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
Will we have some friends coming over for a get together so I decided to smoke one of the 16 lb briskets I bought on BOGO last November.  I pulled it out Tuesday to thaw, trimmed 2.69 pounds off of it, rubbed it down and put it back fridge while egg got to temp.
I am using Oakridge Black Opps rub.

I put the brisket on at 11:50 when egg was at 225.  When I got up at 8:30 the internal temp was 145 and the egg was at 196.  Brisket is in a stall right now and don't need it till 6 so I  am bringing temp on egg up a little.  Plan on doing burnt ends with point since my wife asked for them.

I have noticed a little smoke coming out at the gasket, may be time to change it, but my egg is holding temps though.

Thanks for looking, more to come 
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Well played sir - great job and enjoy the fruits of your work and patience.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Forget the haters man. Burnt ends > sliced point.   Also... when is this KC egg fest you proposed to me!?

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bhedges1987
    Options
    Your using black ops. Good choice. Try not saucing the burnt ends. 

Remove the point when your about to slice your brisket and season the bottom side with more black ops. 

Put it back in the egg at 275 for 2 hours. Wrap in foil with butter for 1 hour. Rest and cube.  

Thank me later ;) 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Mr. Jedi (aka @bhedges1987) when you do burnt ends do you put them in an aluminum foil tray, add butter and cover the entire tray with foil? 

Sometimes I get lazy and just hack of the point with flat underneath, cube the whole thing, and put that in a foil tray.  Guess I should take the time to remove the flat as well. 

Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Great eats await sir!  Thinking about doing burnt ends with mine on Sunday.  Would like to see your method.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Great looking cook- no comment on the burnt ends sacrifice ;)
    However, on an almost tangential note I have become a burnt ends consumer-just use pork belly.
    Enjoy the cook and follow-on eats.
    I know @bhedges1987 would worry if I didn't mention burnt ends =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Your using black ops. Good choice. Try not saucing the burnt ends. 

Remove the point when your about to slice your brisket and season the bottom side with more black ops. 

Put it back in the egg at 275 for 2 hours. Wrap in foil with butter for 1 hour. Rest and cube.  

Thank me later ;) 
    I asked the wife about saucing the burnt ends and she said it was up to me.  So I probably won't sauce them.  The brisket is at 160 now, one heck of a stall.  I may pull, remove some fat, put rub on in areas of cut and put them both back on till they probe like butter.  Then cube the point, put in foil pan with more rub and​ butter for an hour.  

As for the get together, family and life has got in the way.  We had 3 sports going for our son so not much free time on the weekend, but that should change.  I will try and put something out soon about it.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Just finished separating point from flat, added rub and back on.  They feel pretty good right now, but I am going to check in an hour to see how they are doing.  I don't need them till 5:30.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    @bhedges1987, flat is in a foil pan wrapped up in its own juices and FTC'd.   The point is in a foil pan with a half stick of butter for another hour or so, then FTC'd till dinner and cubed up when slicing flat.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    I just seen my thread title got screwed up by Auto correct. =)

Kansas City, Mo.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I just seen my thread title got screwed up by Auto correct. =)
    Either way you did a great job smoming that hunk o meat! Great post buddy! 
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Mr. Jedi (aka @bhedges1987) when you do burnt ends do you put them in an aluminum foil tray, add butter and cover the entire tray with foil? 

Sometimes I get lazy and just hack of the point with flat underneath, cube the whole thing, and put that in a foil tray.  Guess I should take the time to remove the flat as well. 

Yep. The first two hours unwrapped though to produce some more bark. But the 3rd hour you are correct. I put the whole point in. I don't cube until after it's done. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• bhedges1987
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great looking cook- no comment on the burnt ends sacrifice ;)
    However, on an almost tangential note I have become a burnt ends consumer-just use pork belly.
    Enjoy the cook and follow-on eats.
    I know @bhedges1987 would worry if I didn't mention burnt ends =)
    Sigh... pork "burnt ends" no wonder you're such a hater. Burnt ends come from beef man! UNsauced to your belief. 

One day you may may understand when you step out of that Texas bubble ;) 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Ladeback69
    Options
    It came out awesome and everyone loved it.  I love leftovers, but didn't have a lot.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Wow. That looks fantastic!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Based on these results, I will also be smoming mine from here forward. Smoking is for losers
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    As @lousubcap would say "outstanding banquet" !!!!!  
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    I guess I created a new term to use.  It was fun, but cleaning the patio sucked, but looks good now. I need to reseal the patio.

Kansas City, Mo.