Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My XL table build

Guys, it's still a work in progress. But let me know what ya think. Thanks. Will continue to post pictures as I complete it

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

"And now we know.....and knowing is half the battle"- G.I. Joe

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Looks great.... 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Slanca
    Slanca Posts: 6
    Almost believe you know what you are doing. Will keep watching to make sure.
  • SBGonzo
    SBGonzo Posts: 137
    Looks good so far. What are you planning to use on the top? 
  • volminimax
    volminimax Posts: 119
    SBGonzo said:
    Planning on going with Granite. I think I can get a piece for around $500 cut and installed. I'm going to put the cut out piece beneath the nest.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

• SBGonzo
    SBGonzo Posts: 137
    edited May 2017
    Nice, I did Granite too. A buddy of mine was remodeling his kitchen, I got one of his old granite counter tops and cut it myself with an angle grinder. I only did a granite insert (square), not the entire table top. 
  • Greetings-

Great looking table and I really don't want to be a buzzkill but I would worry about having unprotected wood underneath the nest. You mentioned having a granite top, would it be possible/prudent to put some granite under the nest to deflect heat?

My $0.02, just want to make sure you have considered it.

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • volminimax
    Greetings-

Great looking table and I really don't want to be a buzzkill but I would worry about having unprotected wood underneath the nest. You mentioned having a granite top, would it be possible/prudent to put some granite under the nest to deflect heat?

Cheers,

No worries. Yeah the plan is to have a round piece of granite under the nest too.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

• Greetings-

Cheers,

No worries. Yeah the plan is to have a round piece of granite under the nest too.
    Boom. Then carry on, make sure to post pics of finished product!

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • gijoejd
    gijoejd Posts: 89
    What height did you go with from the egg shelf to the top of the table?
  • jkwonza
    jkwonza Posts: 9
    I second @gijoejd question! And did you go with a 26.25" hole cut out?
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Looking good. Please be sure to post pics when its done.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• volminimax
    gijoejd said:
    What height did you go with from the egg shelf to the top of the table?
    I used a plan I found and kinda modified it to what I wanted. The frame for the egg shelf is 9 inches from the bottom of the frame for the top, if that makes sense. I added a 1x6 on top of the shelf, so its probably a little over 8 inches before I add granite.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

• volminimax
    jkwonza said:
    I second @gijoejd question! And did you go with a 26.25" hole cut out?
    That is what I am going to go with once I have the granite cut.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

• ronw9471
    ronw9471 Posts: 112
    Nice design. I'm anxious to see photos of the finished product. I'm tempted to try it myself.
    Parrish, FL

My Photo Website: www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

XL Big Green Egg
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Looks great!
    LBGE
    AL
  • volminimax
    Well I have made some more progress. Between golf, Mother's Day, and work, I haven't got much done. I still have to make the drawers for the shelves in the right side cabinet, but I do have the bottom drawer finished and the table and doors are varnished(didn't take a pic this morning). Got to get over to the granite guy next week. 

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

• DFW
    DFW Posts: 208
    Table looks great!  Just got my first BGE (XL) last November...and the table (re)search is getting intense now that the pool is warming up!  Looking forward to seeing the final product!  

- JB
    Arlington, TX
  • Smolder
    Smolder Posts: 104
    One suggestion, if the table is going to sit out in the weather is to coat the inside of the drawer with truck bed liner. NAPA sells it quart cans. Just put a drain hole in before you coat it. Has saved my drawers in my table.
  • volminimax
    Smolder said:
    One suggestion, if the table is going to sit out in the weather is to coat the inside of the drawer with truck bed liner. NAPA sells it quart cans. Just put a drain hole in before you coat it. Has saved my drawers in my table.

I appreciate the suggestion. I usually keep my eggs in the garage. I'm going to put granite on the top and I have everything sealed with spar urethane. Once I get it finished I plan on getting a cover for the table when I do want to leave it out.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

• volminimax
    Well guys I finally got the granite on my table. Switched out for the new bands on my XL (man are they a lot better). Love all the Xtra space I have for prep and storage. Just need to install a couple towel racks and hooks but more or less she is finished. Still plenty of prep room even if I add the MM to the table top.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

• Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    edited June 2017
    SBGonzo said:
    Planning on going with Granite. I think I can get a piece for around $500 cut and installed. I'm going to put the cut out piece beneath the nest.
    I would put in ad on FB/craigslist or what ever.  Folks are always updating their kitchens, ad you may be able to get some free/cheap.  I got enough just like that to make 2 cleaning tables fer deer/fish!   Table looks great!!!

Hahaha I just saw you already did the granite!  Table looks even better now, but fer anyone else wanting to do what you did, may wanna take the advice.  Heck I will take granite countertops all day long and leave em out by the shed fer future projects.
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • volminimax
    Thanks! I did go with a remnant piece of granite to save money. 

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

• JoeyB106
    JoeyB106 Posts: 36
    Well guys I finally got the granite on my table. Switched out for the new bands on my XL (man are they a lot better). Love all the Xtra space I have for prep and storage. Just need to install a couple towel racks and hooks but more or less she is finished. Still plenty of prep room even if I add the MM to the table top.
    wow that looks beautiful!!! by chance do you have plans for this? 
    Joey B
  • volminimax
    I basically went off of the plans for an XL BGE table and modified it slightly. Total table height including casters and granite is 33 1/2 inches tall. The frame is 30 inches deep, and 58 inches long. The granite is 32x60. I made it this size for a BGE cover. Right off the top of my head, I believe the width of the frame where the egg is, is 28 inches. The whole in the granite is 26 1/4

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016