Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chili question?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
im thinking about making some chili this week what i would like to know can i brown the meat and onions on the egg and then add rest of ingredients. i have a 4 quart stainless steel casserole. would that work? if that will work would i cook meat direct and then go indirect with rest of ingredients. thanks for any help

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    mo egg,
    Absolutly! You can almost anything you can do in an oven or a stove top. Remember that your cooking vessal will get alot of smoke on the outside. The egg gives chili a nice smokey flavor. Your pot sounds just fine. Is 4 qts going to be enough chili? I like to make a chili with pulled pork as opposed to ground beef. Good luck, Tom

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    What kind of meat do plan to use?If ground beef I would brown it and onions in the house and prepare for a four hour cook at 225 in the casserole.To cook a brisket you will have a 2 to 4 hr cook to get the brisket to internal temp of 150.Plus the four cook after cutting chunks off of the brisket.Ground beef may be your best bet on your first try.
  • FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    Options
    mo egg,
    The link is to my page on how I did a smoked pork chili ... a feat that I will be doing again this weekend. I'm making a batch to vac-pac and freeze for the cold days ahead. [p]Doc

[ul][li]http://home.earthlink.net/~onefatdog/chili.htm[/ul]