Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

Options
Duker15
Duker15 Posts: 22
new egghead here ...... doing a 6 pound brisket on Sunday, couple things is it better to use cast iron grill or stainless ?

For smoking set up I have chunks of apple wood also have the chips should I layer the chips throughout the charcoal and put a bunch of chunks in.. I have a large egg

Seting up inderct with a drip pan Ive been reading 2 hours per pound at 220 or so does that sound right?

Comments

• shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    i dont think the grate matters.  be careful not to oversmoke.  I'd just use a chunk or two personally.  12 hours for a 6# flat sounds like a bit much, but I cook mine a little hotter so that may be right at 220 degrees.  Make sure you cook to feel and not to time and give yourself enough time to allow the brisket to rest. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Cast iron/stainless doesn't matter.  I only use chunks and I layer 5-6 throughout the lump.  I always run at 255 and start hours early so I can FTC for at least 1-2 hours before slicing. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Duker15
    Duker15 Posts: 22
    Options
    Hey right on thanks for the tips!

happy egging
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    edited May 2017
    Options
    2 hours per pound also sounds a little long to me, but I do not cook that low anymore.  I would put chips and a few chunks, not a bunch, wood can be overdone in an egg. I did a brisket cook one time at someone else's house on their egg and they wanted to use 50% wood/50% charcoal. The food ended up coming out okay but I was up all night trying to regulate temperature, the wood would flame up and get to 400° and I would tighten down the dampers and it would drop to 180°, and back and forth.  

I normally cook at 250° for about 1.25 to 1.5 hours per pound. At about 85% lump and 15% wood my LBGE will run 12 to 15 hours without touching the vents.  
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    Typically I hit 1 to 1 1/2 hours per pound so agree with the above. IMO the drip pan is not necessary, agree with all of the above. I typically cook at about 225-250.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.